Human Test Subject

Anyone try Shimano cx75 disc brakes yet?

How do they compare to tried and true bb7 dick breaks in stopping power and weight?

mtbr member
    Shimano is supposed to be lighter than the original BB7 and even slightly lighter than the new BB7 Ultimates if you use Ti. hardware on the CX75. I've never used any of them but read a lot. Here's a little review in case you missed it.

Reviewed: Shimano CX75 disc calipers are light and consistent, and have great action

mtbr member
    I started the season with 'tuned' BB7 road disc calipers on my Chinese disc cross bike and added the CX75 disc brakes when I built up a Raleigh RCX Pro disc in December. My tuned BB7 calipers with CPS bolts are actually a few grams lighter than the BB7 SLs and the Shimano CX75 are ~8-10 grams lighter than that per caliper. With post mount installations, the Shimano calipers do not require washers like the Avid's so even with the stock mounting bolts, are still lighter than the BB7 SL. Also, I felt like the Shimano calipers were a tad easier to setup but this does require two different size hex wrenches for inner/outer pad adjustment. Of course once setup, if you installed inline barrel adjusters on the cables and you will be able to adjust on the fly and more or less eliminate the need for tools. Braking has been the as good or better and much quieter than the Avids but because the brakes came with organic/resin pads and having raced them only in dry conditions, I have ordered several sets of EBC Gold sintered pads for use at Masters worlds were it more than likely will be similar conditions to Nationals. The aluminium backed pads I found on the web were either organic, Kevlar, or did not specify - anyone know of a source for aluminum backed sintered pads for Shimano Deore 515/525 calipers?
    Last edited by ms6073; 01-17-2013 at 08:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    MS6073, or anyone else for that matter,

Did you race Nationals? If so, did the brakes hold up for you? Seems like bike changes with pad changes every lap, or even half, was the norm for a lot of people. I am real close to pulling the trigger on a new cross bike with the CX75s, but that scares me a little. I do some long rides and need the brakes to hold up. I do know pad selection plays a role though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just installed a pair on my rig. I have been working on building my cross disc high speed commuter for a few years now. I started when everyone was "why do you want discs on your road bike?" now everyone has em.
    Anyway, on to the CX75s. I am replacing a set of BB7's. BB7's are great brakes. especially with Yokozuna Reaction cable. (possibly the BEST addition to my bike ever)
    I have had some issues with BB7's making noise. I surmise that some of the problem is from the disc. BB7 uses the old school style stamped disc. the G2, G3 doesn't matter, it is still the same type of disc.
    Over the summer, I installed some new IceTech rotors and XTR trail brakes on my Ibis. They are fantastic, simply fantastic brakes. They are also quiet. I think a lot of the noise reduction comes from the layered steel and aluminum in the Icetech rotor design. I bought a pair of 180mm rotors for my CX rig. About the same time, the CX75 was released. I picked up a pair of them as well just to try them out as I had been riding BB7s for years.
    They are definitely a smoother, refined, brake caliper than the BB7. I set them up with the Yokozuna housing, PowerCordz synthetic cables and the 180mm rotors. They feel great. They feel as good as hydros, just different. Once you get them dialed in with the inner pad near the rotor there is little lever movement and no stretch. They really do feel great. In fact, they feel so good, I am in no hurry to get hydros for this bike no matter what comes along. Important note. You really do need to have the disc adapter faced to make sure the pads are contacting parallel to the disc. I had too. I have only been running them for a few days. So they are still breaking in. So far their power is slighty reduced from BB7s, but not far off. And again, that may be because they are new. I should also note that the pads don't feel as "bitey" as BB7 metallics. I haven't checked to see what pad was sent with the CX75 so the reduction in power may be from a less aggressive pad. I will say that they are very quiet. Don't forget to install an inline adjuster too. They don't have a barrel adjuster. One last thing, if you are still using regular brake line/housing with mech disc calipers, you are missing huge amounts of performance, both in feel/response and overall power. Yokozuna combined with PowerCordz is such a good combo that you may just forget about getting hydros.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. Rep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshynjunky View Post
    I should also note that the pads don't feel as "bitey" as BB7 metallics. I haven't checked to see what pad was sent with the CX75 so the reduction in power may be from a less aggressive pad. I will say that they are very quiet.
    The CX75's are currently supplied with organic/resin pads. I am running the CX75 calipers with Ashima AI2 Air Rotors (currently waiting on a set of Kettle carbon rotors to try next) and found that to also stay very quiet while the rotor/pads were clean but in the frozen goop at Masters CX Worlds, they also squealed yet still offered exceptional braking.

rr
    I don't do PC
    That Yokozuna housing sounds interesting, gonna swap bars in the near future and will try them. I have been running BB7's for years with the sintered metallic pads and have never had an issue with braking power in the muck, they squeal a little more than organic pads but last much longer and have better power.

I have always thought the housing/cables were the biggest culprit for any lack of power, good to hear about that housing.

1 ☼ ♥
    Great review, Thanks! Repped