Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate

As someone who uses their cross bike for road, gravel and singeltrack, having a lefty fork seems pretty sweet. Anyone have any actual time on one of these? Its 650b, so tire choices are limited right now though.

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-cnwcfjrveaegjm1.jpg
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I'm SUPER into this bike, but I also HATE proprietary stuff. I'm actually planning on building something like this utilizing standard stuff. I will loose the suspension fork but I think that would actually create too much overlap with my hardtail.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    I have an Ultegra on order from my LBS. My current fleet is a Trek Allant (city), Trek Madone (road), Cannondale F29er (ht mtb), and Cannondale Scalpel 29er (fs mtb). I basically see this filling the gap between my road bike and my hardtail MTB. Before seeing the slate, I'd been considering going to a cross tire on my F29er and installing a child seat on the back for my 3 yr old daughter so we could ride really mild single track or double track together. Mine is due in late November.

mtbr member
    Id really like to try one, I've been sitting on the fence in regards to ordering one so far though...

mtbr member
    Would like to stick one of those forks on my SuperX.

I wish Cannondale would reintroduced the Headshok for CX like they used to. Would be perfect.

mtbr member
    I've just been fitted up for a Slate this morning, my LBS has just installed the Guru Bike Fit system:

The Experience

Which put me on a size large, well worth the experience to be honest.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

I've only ridden it a couple hundred feet. After getting in a head on collision in the family car over the weekend*, I probably won't get any saddle time until Sunday or Monday.

*Uninsured, unlicensed assbag fell asleep, woke up to the rumble strips on the right, and ripped the wheel to the left taking me out. I've strained/torn something where my ribs meet my sternum on the right side.

Sent from Tandy 400

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Think you feel up to measuring the axle to crown on that fork for me? And maybe checking the rear wheel clearance too? Still considering this bike but I'm wondering if I could just stick I rigid fork on it to get me away from some of the c'dale kookyness.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Think you feel up to measuring the axle to crown on that fork for me? And maybe checking the rear wheel clearance too? Still considering this bike but I'm wondering if I could just stick I rigid fork on it to get me away from some of the c'dale kookyness.

Seat stay clearance. The chain stay clearance is approximately the same.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Congratulations on the new ride Quentin hope you enjoy it once you're feeling better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What width tires? Are they Panaracers?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike View Post
    What width tires? Are they Panaracers?
    From Cannondale.com, "Cannondale Slate Folding TRS tubeless, 650x42c, by Panaracer".

rebmem rbtm
    The radavist did a pretty good write up on it and the 199 comments have some info. Guy in the comments said Surly's 650b x 41 Knard would fit.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    So, should I do road pedals or egg beaters on the Slate? I have both handy.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Eggbeaters or Candies suit bikes like the Slate pretty perfectly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Got mine last week. Swapped to XTR/Dura Ace Di2 1x11 with SiSL2 SRM and some carbon bits. Wheels are Stans Podium MMX.

18.2 lbs with pedals.

Very versatile bike, no doubt. Be careful with stock tires on slick muddy sections, though. The 30mm travel doesn't sound like much but is very effective in taking chatter outta the front end off road. Might get some file treads at least to replace stock rubber.

Last edited by trauma-md; 12-17-2015 at 12:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Was thinking maybe this would be my gravel grinder and was also considering Salsa Warbird.Both are In pretty short supply right now.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Got mine last week. Swapped to XTR/Dura Ace Di2 1x11 with SiSL2 SRM and some carbon bits. Wheels are Stans medalist.

18.2 lbs with pedals.

Very versatile bike, no doubt. Be careful with stock tires on slick muddy sections, though. The 30mm travel doesn't sound like much but is very effective in taking chatter outta the front end off road. Might get some file treads at least to replace stock rubber.

Great looking bike. Funny that both Slate owners on this thread are in WV. The other funny thing is that the shop that ordered my bike was building up a Di2 Slate for someone. Was that your's? Charleston Bicycle Center.

One of my best friends lives very close to Coopers and has gotten into gravel riding. You might see him around. He's on a Specialized AWOL.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    Was thinking maybe this would be my gravel grinder and was also considering Salsa Warbird. Both are In pretty short supply right now.
    the new Warbird is beastly. A buddy of mine has one (the carbon version) and he absolutely loves it

only issue I have with the Slate is the 650b tires instead of the 700c/29".
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2015 Roubaix Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1 SSCX
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat
    - 2017 C-dale Scalpel Si-3

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That wasn't my di2 Charleston was building. Must be some other lucky dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life Is Short
    I'd like to demo the Ultegra version or the CX, but like you guys said, noboby has them! Frustrating. Love the 650b wheels as they transverse better on single track much better than 29er/700c wheels.
    Ride More, Eat More

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Riding the Cannondale Slate: What you need to know | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

Looks like the axle to crown should be about the same as a 700c cross fork, hopefully rake is similar too.

Also glad to see rack mounting options, though I don't know what rack will mount under the stays like that.

Still very interested in this bike, or the frame at least. Might have to track one down for a test ride.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i loved Slate at the first sight ...
    but as avery Cannondale, there is the weight problem: too heavy !!!

so i decided to do a custom project ...

searched for a Black Inc SuperX used but ridden a few times only on road , keeping only frame, RED22 shifter/brakes and selling other parts, bought an used Lefty DLR OPI carbon 110mm 26" mtb fork and sent to 88+ Italy to shorten it of 12cm (to reach same geomerty of a cross fork) and reduced travel to 30mm as the Lefty Oliver, install a Bike Ahead carbon wheelset, a Specy S-Works crankset with a 46T Garbaruk oval integrated ring, CB Candy11 pedals, Pacenti PariMoto 38mm tyres and tubes, a Trek Bontrager integrated combo/stem, a cutted to measure Ax Lightness post, a Dream Bikes DB-M carbon saddle and a Force1 long cage RD with 10-42 XX1 cassette and Xx1 chain.

got 7690 grams with Garmin mount support and cadence sensor.

1st and 2nd rides:
    Slateliflap | eliflap

Slateliflap | eliflap

after some changes :

Slateliflap ? aggiustamenti | eliflap

and today : Slate | eliflap

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    i loved Slate at the first sight ...
    but as avery Cannondale, there is the weight problem: too heavy !!!

so i decided to do a custom project ...

searched for a Black Inc SuperX used but ridden a few times only on road , keeping only frame, RED22 shifter/brakes and selling other parts, bought an used Lefty DLR OPI carbon 110mm 26" mtb fork and sent to 88+ Italy to shorten it of 12cm (to reach same geomerty of a cross fork) and reduced travel to 30mm as the Lefty Oliver, install a Bike Ahead carbon wheelset, a Specy S-Works crankset with a 46T Garbaruk oval integrated ring, CB Candy11 pedals, Pacenti PariMoto 38mm tyres and tubes, a Trek Bontrager integrated combo/stem, a cutted to measure Ax Lightness post, a Dream Bikes DB-M carbon saddle and a Force1 long cage RD with 10-42 XX1 cassette and Xx1 chain.

got 7690 grams with Garmin mount support and cadence sensor.

1st and 2nd rides:
    Slateliflap | eliflap

Slateliflap | eliflap

after some changes :

Slateliflap ? aggiustamenti | eliflap

and today : Slate | eliflap
    i gotta admit, that's a pretty cool looking bike. How's it ride? 7700 grams is pretty impressive!
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2015 Roubaix Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1 SSCX
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat
    - 2017 C-dale Scalpel Si-3

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i did only 5 rides :
    1st and 2nd 25 km rides, with a Hollowgram SI with 36T ( no good , too small and 172.5 arms no good for me )

3rd a night ride , very emotional on Xmas night with full moon

4th yesterday 91km with 18km off road as beginning and after a road group ride ( i easy stay inside the group at 45 km/h) but final part of ride as solo on road , 32-33 as cruising speed ( with a road bike i can stay 3-4 km/h faster with same load )

5th today 82 km, with 50 off road with a not easy trails (normally done with my Flash mtb)
    very light bike so you can jump over the holes or woods with no effort, and in gravel flat roads i can keep higher speeds than a mtb.

impressed by PariMoto 38mm tyres (not yet gone tubeless, planned to do it)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bad mo fo!

all your wildest dreams will come true on this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-20151230_163336%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know they designed this bike for 650Bs, but I wonder how a regular 700C/33mm tire would fit on here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    I know they designed this bike for 650Bs, but I wonder how a regular 700C/33mm tire would fit on here.
    I think you might have problems in the front with the tire rubbing the crown when the lefty compresses. I think that is the main reason this is a 650b bike.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oliver specs:
    Travel - 30mm
    wheel size - 650bx42c/700x23c"
    leg diameter: Outer: 42mm / inner: 32mm
    damper: Isolated damper mini with
    map (multi-surface air preload) spring

FIRENZE rulez !!
    you can check the tyre clearance with totally deflated Lefty ... must be at least 10mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearless View Post
    Oliver specs:
    Travel - 30mm
    wheel size - 650bx42c/700x23c"
    leg diameter: Outer: 42mm / inner: 32mm
    damper: Isolated damper mini with
    map (multi-surface air preload) spring
    Thank you for the info!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Tires did great on the frozen dirt/rocks. The only place that it really struggled on XC single track was places where there was a large section of fallen leaf coverage. The bike really felt pretty awesome out there.

Sent from Tandy 400

FIRENZE rulez !!
    did someone go with sealant on stock tyres ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I used Orange Seal in the stock rubber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Tires did great on the frozen dirt/rocks. The only place that it really struggled on XC single track was places where there was a large section of fallen leaf coverage. The bike really felt pretty awesome out there.

Sent from Tandy 400
    So cool! Thanks for sharing!

Very much looking forward to receiving mine now, I have some pink Raceface Crank Boots for it, getting some of the new Crank Brothers Candys again in pink, I've got my crank skins and Fabric bottle bosses all waiting to put on it. I've even entered a Gravel enduro type event to put it through its paces on so may be looking at some nobbly tyres too!

mtbr member
    Shame it is only 650b. Sweet ride.
    Signature

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I used Orange Seal in the stock rubber.
    which pressure f + r ?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Shame it is only 650b. Sweet ride.
    I think the 650b is great other than tire selection. It rides miles better than my Surly Cross Check did on the same single track. Much more responsive and agile.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    which pressure f + r ?
    I've been between 35 and 65psi without any problem.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-imageuploadedbytapatalk1456792568.103929.jpg

Jack of all trades bike. Had a blast on my short 3 mi test run. I wish I had purchased the seat 2 years ago!

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-dsc_0503.jpgAnyone tried the Cannondale Slate-dsc_0504.jpgAnyone tried the Cannondale Slate-dsc_0505.jpg
    OPI Steem, Syntace Carbon bar, Cannondale save seatpost, Fabric carbon saddle, Stages PM (SRM with Q-Rings to come), tires tubeless, 9.4kg

mtbr member
    Do you think Cannondale will sell just Slate frameset and fork?

Would love to do my own build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Been having fun 'graveling' mine, awesome smooth bike, unexpected front 'hits' taken nicely by the Oliver, even the rear felt forgiving, nice Scoop saddle for my fitting. Next update, going tubeless, and bought Surly Knards to test out. This bike gets my mind thinking for the next off-beaten ride =)

Last edited by aohammer; 05-03-2016 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A1an, that's the purpose of this bike, to be totally useful in almost all terrain, lots of room for big cushy rubber to meet the same 700/23c diameter, which can still roll and keep up with roadies. I'm sure there will be more tire choices later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

new hub

I like the faster engagement, it's what I'm used to.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-12779223_10207883455018174_1774832879315272410_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If anyone is looking for a Slate the have them at REI online. You get a 10% member dividend if you are a member.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=ca...e+slate&page=1
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Still waiting on my Force CX1, I suppose I was lucky when I ended up getting one of the first Habits so the bike gods are making me wait this time! I sat on a large grey Slate a couple of weeks ago and it fits me perfectly with no toe overlap even with flat pedals which I run because of foot issues. The bike felt very racy and compact, I can't wait to get it!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    If anyone is looking for a Slate the have them at REI online. You get a 10% member dividend if you are a member.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=ca...e+slate&page=1
    Does the 20% off work on that, too?! That would be crazy cheap.

rebmem rbtm

Fine Print

Offer valid on Novara and Diamondback bicycles only; all other bicycle brands are excluded.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca View Post
    Offer valid on Novara and Diamondback bicycles only; all other bicycle brands are excluded.
    Thank goodness. I'd have been pretty bummed to have paid a lot more to get mine just a few months earlier.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast