Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate

As someone who uses their cross bike for road, gravel and singeltrack, having a lefty fork seems pretty sweet. Anyone have any actual time on one of these? Its 650b, so tire choices are limited right now though.

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-cnwcfjrveaegjm1.jpg
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I'm SUPER into this bike, but I also HATE proprietary stuff. I'm actually planning on building something like this utilizing standard stuff. I will loose the suspension fork but I think that would actually create too much overlap with my hardtail.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    I have an Ultegra on order from my LBS. My current fleet is a Trek Allant (city), Trek Madone (road), Cannondale F29er (ht mtb), and Cannondale Scalpel 29er (fs mtb). I basically see this filling the gap between my road bike and my hardtail MTB. Before seeing the slate, I'd been considering going to a cross tire on my F29er and installing a child seat on the back for my 3 yr old daughter so we could ride really mild single track or double track together. Mine is due in late November.

mtbr member
    Id really like to try one, I've been sitting on the fence in regards to ordering one so far though...

mtbr member
    Would like to stick one of those forks on my SuperX.

I wish Cannondale would reintroduced the Headshok for CX like they used to. Would be perfect.

mtbr member
    I've just been fitted up for a Slate this morning, my LBS has just installed the Guru Bike Fit system:

The Experience

Which put me on a size large, well worth the experience to be honest.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

I've only ridden it a couple hundred feet. After getting in a head on collision in the family car over the weekend*, I probably won't get any saddle time until Sunday or Monday.

*Uninsured, unlicensed assbag fell asleep, woke up to the rumble strips on the right, and ripped the wheel to the left taking me out. I've strained/torn something where my ribs meet my sternum on the right side.

Sent from Tandy 400

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Think you feel up to measuring the axle to crown on that fork for me? And maybe checking the rear wheel clearance too? Still considering this bike but I'm wondering if I could just stick I rigid fork on it to get me away from some of the c'dale kookyness.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Think you feel up to measuring the axle to crown on that fork for me? And maybe checking the rear wheel clearance too? Still considering this bike but I'm wondering if I could just stick I rigid fork on it to get me away from some of the c'dale kookyness.

Seat stay clearance. The chain stay clearance is approximately the same.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Congratulations on the new ride Quentin hope you enjoy it once you're feeling better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What width tires? Are they Panaracers?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike View Post
    What width tires? Are they Panaracers?
    From Cannondale.com, "Cannondale Slate Folding TRS tubeless, 650x42c, by Panaracer".

rebmem rbtm
    The radavist did a pretty good write up on it and the 199 comments have some info. Guy in the comments said Surly's 650b x 41 Knard would fit.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    So, should I do road pedals or egg beaters on the Slate? I have both handy.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Eggbeaters or Candies suit bikes like the Slate pretty perfectly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Got mine last week. Swapped to XTR/Dura Ace Di2 1x11 with SiSL2 SRM and some carbon bits. Wheels are Stans Podium MMX.

18.2 lbs with pedals.

Very versatile bike, no doubt. Be careful with stock tires on slick muddy sections, though. The 30mm travel doesn't sound like much but is very effective in taking chatter outta the front end off road. Might get some file treads at least to replace stock rubber.

Last edited by trauma-md; 12-17-2015 at 01:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Was thinking maybe this would be my gravel grinder and was also considering Salsa Warbird.Both are In pretty short supply right now.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Got mine last week. Swapped to XTR/Dura Ace Di2 1x11 with SiSL2 SRM and some carbon bits. Wheels are Stans medalist.

18.2 lbs with pedals.

Very versatile bike, no doubt. Be careful with stock tires on slick muddy sections, though. The 30mm travel doesn't sound like much but is very effective in taking chatter outta the front end off road. Might get some file treads at least to replace stock rubber.

Great looking bike. Funny that both Slate owners on this thread are in WV. The other funny thing is that the shop that ordered my bike was building up a Di2 Slate for someone. Was that your's? Charleston Bicycle Center.

One of my best friends lives very close to Coopers and has gotten into gravel riding. You might see him around. He's on a Specialized AWOL.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    Was thinking maybe this would be my gravel grinder and was also considering Salsa Warbird. Both are In pretty short supply right now.
    the new Warbird is beastly. A buddy of mine has one (the carbon version) and he absolutely loves it

only issue I have with the Slate is the 650b tires instead of the 700c/29".
    just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That wasn't my di2 Charleston was building. Must be some other lucky dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life Is Short
    I'd like to demo the Ultegra version or the CX, but like you guys said, noboby has them! Frustrating. Love the 650b wheels as they transverse better on single track much better than 29er/700c wheels.
    Ride More, Eat More

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Riding the Cannondale Slate: What you need to know | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

Looks like the axle to crown should be about the same as a 700c cross fork, hopefully rake is similar too.

Also glad to see rack mounting options, though I don't know what rack will mount under the stays like that.

Still very interested in this bike, or the frame at least. Might have to track one down for a test ride.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i loved Slate at the first sight ...
    but as avery Cannondale, there is the weight problem: too heavy !!!

so i decided to do a custom project ...

searched for a Black Inc SuperX used but ridden a few times only on road , keeping only frame, RED22 shifter/brakes and selling other parts, bought an used Lefty DLR OPI carbon 110mm 26" mtb fork and sent to 88+ Italy to shorten it of 12cm (to reach same geomerty of a cross fork) and reduced travel to 30mm as the Lefty Oliver, install a Bike Ahead carbon wheelset, a Specy S-Works crankset with a 46T Garbaruk oval integrated ring, CB Candy11 pedals, Pacenti PariMoto 38mm tyres and tubes, a Trek Bontrager integrated combo/stem, a cutted to measure Ax Lightness post, a Dream Bikes DB-M carbon saddle and a Force1 long cage RD with 10-42 XX1 cassette and Xx1 chain.

got 7690 grams with Garmin mount support and cadence sensor.

1st and 2nd rides:
    Slateliflap | eliflap

Slateliflap | eliflap

after some changes :

Slateliflap ? aggiustamenti | eliflap

and today : Slate | eliflap

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    i loved Slate at the first sight ...
    but as avery Cannondale, there is the weight problem: too heavy !!!

so i decided to do a custom project ...

searched for a Black Inc SuperX used but ridden a few times only on road , keeping only frame, RED22 shifter/brakes and selling other parts, bought an used Lefty DLR OPI carbon 110mm 26" mtb fork and sent to 88+ Italy to shorten it of 12cm (to reach same geomerty of a cross fork) and reduced travel to 30mm as the Lefty Oliver, install a Bike Ahead carbon wheelset, a Specy S-Works crankset with a 46T Garbaruk oval integrated ring, CB Candy11 pedals, Pacenti PariMoto 38mm tyres and tubes, a Trek Bontrager integrated combo/stem, a cutted to measure Ax Lightness post, a Dream Bikes DB-M carbon saddle and a Force1 long cage RD with 10-42 XX1 cassette and Xx1 chain.

got 7690 grams with Garmin mount support and cadence sensor.

1st and 2nd rides:
    Slateliflap | eliflap

Slateliflap | eliflap

after some changes :

Slateliflap ? aggiustamenti | eliflap

and today : Slate | eliflap
    i gotta admit, that's a pretty cool looking bike. How's it ride? 7700 grams is pretty impressive!
    just ride.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i did only 5 rides :
    1st and 2nd 25 km rides, with a Hollowgram SI with 36T ( no good , too small and 172.5 arms no good for me )

3rd a night ride , very emotional on Xmas night with full moon

4th yesterday 91km with 18km off road as beginning and after a road group ride ( i easy stay inside the group at 45 km/h) but final part of ride as solo on road , 32-33 as cruising speed ( with a road bike i can stay 3-4 km/h faster with same load )

5th today 82 km, with 50 off road with a not easy trails (normally done with my Flash mtb)
    very light bike so you can jump over the holes or woods with no effort, and in gravel flat roads i can keep higher speeds than a mtb.

impressed by PariMoto 38mm tyres (not yet gone tubeless, planned to do it)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bad mo fo!

all your wildest dreams will come true on this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-20151230_163336%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know they designed this bike for 650Bs, but I wonder how a regular 700C/33mm tire would fit on here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    I know they designed this bike for 650Bs, but I wonder how a regular 700C/33mm tire would fit on here.
    I think you might have problems in the front with the tire rubbing the crown when the lefty compresses. I think that is the main reason this is a 650b bike.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oliver specs:
    Travel - 30mm
    wheel size - 650bx42c/700x23c"
    leg diameter: Outer: 42mm / inner: 32mm
    damper: Isolated damper mini with
    map (multi-surface air preload) spring

FIRENZE rulez !!
    you can check the tyre clearance with totally deflated Lefty ... must be at least 10mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearless View Post
    Oliver specs:
    Travel - 30mm
    wheel size - 650bx42c/700x23c"
    leg diameter: Outer: 42mm / inner: 32mm
    damper: Isolated damper mini with
    map (multi-surface air preload) spring
    Thank you for the info!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Tires did great on the frozen dirt/rocks. The only place that it really struggled on XC single track was places where there was a large section of fallen leaf coverage. The bike really felt pretty awesome out there.

Sent from Tandy 400

FIRENZE rulez !!
    did someone go with sealant on stock tyres ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I used Orange Seal in the stock rubber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Tires did great on the frozen dirt/rocks. The only place that it really struggled on XC single track was places where there was a large section of fallen leaf coverage. The bike really felt pretty awesome out there.

Sent from Tandy 400
    So cool! Thanks for sharing!

Very much looking forward to receiving mine now, I have some pink Raceface Crank Boots for it, getting some of the new Crank Brothers Candys again in pink, I've got my crank skins and Fabric bottle bosses all waiting to put on it. I've even entered a Gravel enduro type event to put it through its paces on so may be looking at some nobbly tyres too!

mtbr member
    Shame it is only 650b. Sweet ride.
    Signature

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I used Orange Seal in the stock rubber.
    which pressure f + r ?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Shame it is only 650b. Sweet ride.
    I think the 650b is great other than tire selection. It rides miles better than my Surly Cross Check did on the same single track. Much more responsive and agile.

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap View Post
    which pressure f + r ?
    I've been between 35 and 65psi without any problem.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-imageuploadedbytapatalk1456792568.103929.jpg

Jack of all trades bike. Had a blast on my short 3 mi test run. I wish I had purchased the seat 2 years ago!

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-dsc_0503.jpgAnyone tried the Cannondale Slate-dsc_0504.jpgAnyone tried the Cannondale Slate-dsc_0505.jpg
    OPI Steem, Syntace Carbon bar, Cannondale save seatpost, Fabric carbon saddle, Stages PM (SRM with Q-Rings to come), tires tubeless, 9.4kg

mtbr member
    Do you think Cannondale will sell just Slate frameset and fork?

Would love to do my own build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Been having fun 'graveling' mine, awesome smooth bike, unexpected front 'hits' taken nicely by the Oliver, even the rear felt forgiving, nice Scoop saddle for my fitting. Next update, going tubeless, and bought Surly Knards to test out. This bike gets my mind thinking for the next off-beaten ride =)

Last edited by aohammer; 05-03-2016 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A1an, that's the purpose of this bike, to be totally useful in almost all terrain, lots of room for big cushy rubber to meet the same 700/23c diameter, which can still roll and keep up with roadies. I'm sure there will be more tire choices later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

new hub

I like the faster engagement, it's what I'm used to.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-12779223_10207883455018174_1774832879315272410_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If anyone is looking for a Slate the have them at REI online. You get a 10% member dividend if you are a member.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=ca...e+slate&page=1
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Still waiting on my Force CX1, I suppose I was lucky when I ended up getting one of the first Habits so the bike gods are making me wait this time! I sat on a large grey Slate a couple of weeks ago and it fits me perfectly with no toe overlap even with flat pedals which I run because of foot issues. The bike felt very racy and compact, I can't wait to get it!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    If anyone is looking for a Slate the have them at REI online. You get a 10% member dividend if you are a member.

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=ca...e+slate&page=1
    Does the 20% off work on that, too?! That would be crazy cheap.

rebmem rbtm

Fine Print

Offer valid on Novara and Diamondback bicycles only; all other bicycle brands are excluded.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_sdca View Post
    Offer valid on Novara and Diamondback bicycles only; all other bicycle brands are excluded.
    Thank goodness. I'd have been pretty bummed to have paid a lot more to get mine just a few months earlier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'd love to see some tires with a bit of tread on this bike. Maybe these? I wonder if there is enough clearance at the stays.

http://www.somafab.com/archives/prod...00c650b-x-42mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailchong View Post
    I'd love to see some tires with a bit of tread on this bike. Maybe these?
    I'm using Schwalbe G-ones. They're really a great all arounder and do very well in the dirt.

mtbr member
    I'd love to see some tires with a bit of tread on this bike. Maybe these? I wonder if there is enough clearance at the stays.

http://www.somafab.com/archives/prod...00c650b-x-42mm
    I have some of these on the way for my Slate, hopefully they'll all turn up around the same time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I have some of these on the way for my Slate, hopefully they'll all turn up around the same time.
    Post up some pics when you can!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cazadero Tires (700c/650b x 42mm) | SOMA Fabrications
    my local shop owner is using those tires, I JUST put on the Surly Knard and it fits fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-20160408_195102%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by gearless; 04-08-2016 at 06:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    my local shop owner is using those tires, I JUST put this Surly Knard and and it fits fine
    Thanks, that is a sick tire, I bet it goes super well with the bike. My LBS has one I want to test ride. So I can go home and cry about not owning one!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thinking about getting a Slate but would need to run a trailer does anyone know one which may fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you would need to go to the, "Robert axle project" website for the proper axle/skewer. for my BOB trailer it was BOB 005. it was a bit tricky but it worked fine!
    https://robertaxleproject.com/

mtbr member
    May 2015
    you would need to go to the, "Robert axle project" website for the proper axle/skewer. for my BOB trailer it was BOB 005. it was a bit tricky but it worked fine!
    https://robertaxleproject.com/

Thanks, that looks like just the reply I needed.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    I did a combo road/gravel ride today. Amazing how well it manages to do both things.

Sent from Tandy 400

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Just got this email from cannondale.

Dear Quentin,
    At Cannondale, the quality and safety of our products are of paramount importance. We’re excited about all the attention and interest that the Cannondale Slate has received since we released it in 2015. Based on feedback from Slate riders, it has come to our attention that when riders are modifying their Slate to run tubeless (removing the inner tube), the fit of the tires on the rims does not meet our high standards for performance, safety and compatibility. The issue is with the rim of the wheel, not the tire.

The Slate is safe to ride with inner tubes as supplied, but in the interest of rider safety, any riders who have modified their Slates to run tubeless should immediately stop riding and temporarily install inner tubes in both wheels before riding again. Riders who plan to run their Slate tubeless should visit their nearest Cannondale dealer to register for a free set of replacement wheels with upgraded rims.

To find your nearest Cannondale dealer, please visit http://dealerlocator.cannondale.com

These upgraded rims will be standard on all new Slates going forward.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause those riders who are running their Slates tubeless. We’re passionate about our products and our customers, and we are working quickly and proactively to address this issue to get your Slate back running tubeless as soon as possible!

Sincerely,

The Cannondale Team

To view the safety notice on Cannondale.com visit www.cannondale.com/safetynotice

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    I asked my dealer about this in regard to my still yet to arrive Slate CX1 today and they told me that Cannondale will be sending replacement rims to their dealers and NOT wheelset a meaning the dealer will potentially have a lot of free wheel builds to do. We're hoping that my bike will come with the new rims as running tubeless is very important to me.

My other ride
    I took one out on some MTB trails in SoCal Sunday. I absolutely loved it! The Oliver absorbed way more then I expected. I ran flat pedals thinking I would have to dab a lot, but was surprised that I didn't. I had to get off a couple of times to climb when I was spinning out, but never on the descent. and I hit a few smaller doubles and tabletops that proved that it could take a real beating. I don't imagine it can be any worse on road then my current commuter bike; a Nashbar aluminum CX with 38mm touring tires on 29er wheels, coming in at about 25 pounds.

I would want CX1 though instead of Ultegra, I prefer 1x on anything that sees dirt.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEl2x7Vrgvb/

My LBS was the host of the event, great people, great shop.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEl3GEfrggA/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice report, thanks!

mtbr member
    I just bought a Slate (Ultegra) today and I'm wondering if anyone knows when the replacement wheels will be available from Cannondale. Has anyone received them yet? Probably too much to ask if they will be shipped with a tubeless valve stem and tape right? Probably has to be purchased separately as a kit I'm sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-dscn2867.jpg  

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    I just bought a Slate (Ultegra) today and I'm wondering if anyone knows when the replacement wheels will be available from Cannondale. Has anyone received them yet? Probably too much to ask if they will be shipped with a tubeless valve stem and tape right? Probably has to be purchased separately as a kit I'm sure.
    I was told middle May by my LBS.

mtbr member
    I was also told middle of May but I was also told my Slate would have been with me by March and now I'm being told the middle of May for that too!

You can see the recall notice here:

http://www.cannondale.com/en/Interna...d-Recalls.aspx

You will note the replacement rims are Mavic XM419 and I believe, if these are similar to the XM819 rims I used to run, they do not require rim tape.

I'd have still preferred Stans rims but I guess I am in a sore mood due to my long wait for this awesome bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Same here, sometime in 'May' per my LBS, in the meantime almost 300 mi on the factory tubed set up, no issues, just one flat. I'd say 80/20 road/dirt so far. Fun, smooth bike, rips through broken asphalt, grips offroad nicely except when trail gets rubbly.

I imagine a carbon frame would mute it even more, at more cost of course. Always looking around for upgrades. Carbon wheels? Convert to the OPI stem, shimmed after recall? How much lighter? Single spidering that much lighter than my Ultegra double setup?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Got word from my sponsoring LBS, complete wheelsets will be sent, existing wheels sent back. Stay tuned.....

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Here she is... I've had her since Jan. 2016... 200 miles on my stocks...

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_0462.jpgAnyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_0456.jpgAnyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_0455.jpgAnyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_0454.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    NICE! I had 1,000 on mine before replacing with Surly knard's..........

mtbr member
    I've had mine a week and a half and have put over 100 miles on it.

LBS said replacement Mavic wheelsets shipping next week. They also said they will come with tubeless strip, and valve stems. Can't wait to switch to tubeless.

22 lbs with spd pedals size large. I have a carbon seatpost that I may put on in place of the stock item and a different saddle.

I have a 11-32 cassette on the way also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-dscn2877.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice, same color as mine! BTW, the bigger cassette might require a longer cage rear derailleur?

mtbr member
    the bigger cassette might require a longer cage rear derailleur?
    I have read a couple places that it is nothing more than a "B" screw adjustment. Hoping that is the case. The gearing is fine until the grade gets into double digits and then I just don't have enough strength for it.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

I might have to consider some shorter gearing. The stock gearing is way too tall for this gravel climb. (Mind you, I'm just some dude with a desk job that gets 1 good bike ride in each week.)

Sent from Tandy 400

mtbr member
    Guys,
    Thinking about replacing my C'dale SuperX with a Slate but I am really unsure about sizing...
    I am 1.90m with pretty long shanks, riding a 58cm SuperX and an F29 size "L"...
    My dealer suggests I should go for "XL" with the Slate which would put me in a comparable position as to what I am now riding on my SuperX. I would of course go and try out "L" and "XL", but unfortunately the bike is out of stock in my area...
    I really don't want to end up with the "wrong" size...
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    1.90m makes you about 2" taller than I am. I ride a 58cm Supersix, and a "Large" Scalpel. The Slate I have is a "Large" also and it fits me nearly perfectly. I am going to try a 10mm longer stem to see if it is better or not but otherwise the fit is excellent. My gut felling is that the XL Slate may be your best bet but you should absolutely try both to be sure. Maybe try the XL first if you can find one?

mtbr member
    Anyone still waiting for theirs? I ordered a large CX1 in October and it keeps being put back.

I expected it most recently last week but now they're telling me July. By that point they'll no doubt be releasing the 2017 specs and details only a matter of weeks later so now I'm left with the decision of cancelling my order or not and taking my deposit back and doing something else with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sounds like cannondale screwed you over.

mtbr member
    The thought had crossed my mind. I think I'm out, which is a shame as I was looking forward to owning this bike. 8 months and counting is stupid though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    1.90m makes you about 2" taller than I am. I ride a 58cm Supersix, and a "Large" Scalpel. The Slate I have is a "Large" also and it fits me nearly perfectly. I am going to try a 10mm longer stem to see if it is better or not but otherwise the fit is excellent. My gut felling is that the XL Slate may be your best bet but you should absolutely try both to be sure. Maybe try the XL first if you can find one?
    Tried the XL (first) and the L today. Will DEFINITELY go for L as it felt so much more natural than the "bigger" one Also managed to get quite a good deal on the 105 version which I am planning to rebuild using the Ultegra and Ritchey parts of my SuperX. This way I will get the GREEN bike with the Ultegra build... Just hope I will be able to find a buyer for my SuperX then

Trail Junkie
    I have test rode one for about 2mi of road when led to another 4mi of dirt/gravel.

As a basis, I have two CX/Gravel bikes that I am using as a comparison: My beloved and trusty 2008 Specialized TriCross Expert with Zertz fittings and carbon bits built into the fameset. The fork rake is uncanny for a gravel bike...and in all reality a bike ahead of it's time!

My other, a Trek Boone 5 Disc with the IsoSpeed decoupler which is my primary bike.
    Now neither of these bikes are more than 18.5lb so that is going to weigh into my initial thoughts as a point of view.

The Lefty fork obviously works, and the 650b big rubber is supple and smooth, but I would not go as far as saying "fast" when compared to leading options in 700c. The fact remains that C'dale can say that more 650b options are coming, but currently a limited market. Right now with gravel grinding blowing up, the amount of tire options is becoming almost overwhelming with options.

In gravel or adventure riding, front compliance is paramount, but rear compliance should not be underrated. Outside of tire volume, C'dale engineered very little compliance into the frame itself. The SAVE stays does very little to actively take off the edge. Sure you can add a C'dale SAVE post and it should help out considerably, but it doesn't change the fact that the front and rear does not feel balanced. The rear compliance on the Boone with IsoSpeed is significant and completely noticeable. The front compliance, though no where close to the Left is balanced to the rear on the Boone, so they compliment each other.

Additionally if you're looking for active suspension, Lauf just introduced the Grit fork. A friend of mine is actually trying to get a hold of one for me to demo and review with the Boone as a specific application review because the idea of active compliance both on front and rear is gaining interest in the gravel segment. So I can report back later once I spent some time with that setup, but it will likely be presented under another forum.

Personal thoughts....the Slate is an interesting bike that's fun to ride, and has plenty of benefits, but compared to traditional 700c wheels, it lags behind on speed and efficiency along with having more aftermarket upgrade options across the line.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting your thoughts dubdryver. Funny you should mention the Lauf Grit as I'm now considering buying one for my Turner Cyclosys to try and make up for my disappointment of being let down by Cannondale in regard to the Slate. I run Nano 40c's on my Turner and it is fast and comfortable, I wouldn't want a sacrifice in that speed and relative comfort so the Laufs are of massive interest to me.

Trail Junkie
    The funny thing is that I have a Lauf TR29, and found the limited usage for the fork for my riding...and in that process to work out the cerebral parts of owning and riding the fork came to the conclusion that if Lauf made one for a CX bike, I would be highly interested in it. This was even before owning a Boone. I just knew it was the right type of fork for that type of riding...characteristically everything points to it being a great gravel fork, and the best competitor/alternative to the Slate Lefty.

If it's as good as what I believe it will be...I will own one!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Slate delay is due to a factory recall

http://www.cannondale.com/en/Interna...d-Recalls.aspx

mtbr member
    Anyone received their replacement wheels yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I wish Lauf would make the Grit with a 1 1/8 headtube as well. When I asked they prattled off some remark about safety standards. pshaw.

mtbr member
    I was told by the shop where I had my order today that the wheels are ready and they'll be starting to ship Slates soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'd recommend people try the BodyFloat. It's rad over gravel and rougher terrain. It can be pre-loaded so it works decently on the road. Granted, the Slate still has other unique features, but I'm finding it's suspension less compelling everyday I ride my BodyFloat.

mtbr member
    What's a BodyFloat?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    it's a suspension seatpost. ever since I got my google, i have been able to answer these questions.

mtbr member
    Well thank you for googling it for me and taking the time out to answer my question accompanied with a witty quip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    what's a quip?

mtbr member
    Google it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

mtbr member
    I thought you knew how to use the internets?!

Anyway back on topic. Look at this pic Mark Weir just posted.

https://instagram.com/p/BF4U9JFmLfA/

There much better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    #scratchingmebag

yikes i don't even want to know.

the thing about the BodyFloat is I've found it much faster when climbing to keep sitting over rougher stuff than have to absorb impacts or stand up. I can keep the power on. The shock would be nice though downhill

mtbr member
    Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-foto-28.05.16-13-19-50.jpg

Picked up my SLATE on Friday. Guys at the shop had switched over most of the parts from my C'dale SuperX Ultegra already, so I just re-routed the front brake cable and put on protective tape. Then it was time to hit the roads, the trails, the gravel tracks, the curbstones, the potholes... Holy Lord! This bike is pure fun

Really like the way it feels and handles on tarmac, the wheels/tyre combo working just great. Had the Lefty unlocked almost all the time, amazing how much it can take especially on gravel and really bad road surfaces. Wow! Have to go more off road to say anything about its performance there...

Changes so far are:

1. cranks: SI to Hollowgram SI with Rotor Q-Rings 46/36
    2. back derailleur: 105 to Ultegra with long cage
    3. cogs: 105 to Ultegra 11-32
    4. seatpost: C3 to C'dale Save 400mm
    5. STIs: R505 to R685
    6. handlebar: C3 to Ritchey WCS Streem with Lizard Skins DSP 3,2

Planning on exchanging stem with an OPI stem (looks so much better) and maybe upgrading the rear axle to Syntace (almost half the weight).

I really like the way the saddle feels although it looks pretty terrible imho. Was originally thinking about replacing it with the Fizik Tundra 2 I currently have on my SuperX. Will give it some more time.

Any suggestions on shaving some weight? Current weight is 9.9kg size L.

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-foto-28.05.16-13-20-24.jpg

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-foto-28.05.16-13-20-31.jpg

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-foto-28.05.16-13-20-41.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by triteacher View Post
    Any suggestions on shaving some weight? Current weight is 9.9kg size L.
    I feel like I am kind of getting the runaround from my dealer (who is getting the runaround from Cannondale) on replacement wheels from Cannondale but I believe the new Mavics set up tubeless will result in some minor weight savings. The only cost involved will be for sealant.

After that weight reduction begins to get pricey. I suspect that the Formula rear hub is one place to look. My experience is they tend to run a little heavy. I will probably have a friend rebuild the rear wheel with a different hub and spokes over the winter.

The machined hollowgram crank arms are another place to look. I haven't looked at the numbers yet but I'm pretty sure they are lighter than the stock (SI) arms.

Mine weighs 22lbs with SPD pedals and a slightly heavier saddle that I like better. The one place I don't even consider for weight savings is saddles. many people including me have distinct preferences when it comes to saddles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Anyone still waiting for theirs? I ordered a large CX1 in October and it keeps being put back.

I expected it most recently last week but now they're telling me July. By that point they'll no doubt be releasing the 2017 specs and details only a matter of weeks later so now I'm left with the decision of cancelling my order or not and taking my deposit back and doing something else with it.
    I see there is a "large" CX1 on ebay at the moment. Located in Utah. Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast