Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by no mojo View Post
    How is the handling with the 80mm stem?
    Good as ever. I haven't noticed a huge change in handling, but I do feel just a tad more comfortable. Largely a preference thing, but glad i did it. Love the bike though, lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    Have just purchased a set of the WTB Horizons, planning on running tubeless. Love the gumwall look too
    I'd love to see a photo - I'm intrigued by those tires for my commuting wheelset during the summer months. I like the pari-moto/OEM tires for road use, but wouldn't mind something a tad more durable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hongziyang View Post
    I'd love to see a photo - I'm intrigued by those tires for my commuting wheelset during the summer months. I like the pari-moto/OEM tires for road use, but wouldn't mind something a tad more durable.
    Will post when they arrive - i'm going through the process of getting the replacement recall rims so will mount them and upload for you :-)

I'm looking forward to it!!
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    a picture of mine

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-slate1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ok here it is with the WTB Horizons, I must say to my eyes she is beautiful.

To address the silly things.

1 - I'm sorry I've got the saddle bag on.
    2 - I'm sorry I haven't wiped off the residue from a ride number stuck to my seatpost
    3 - Back wheel is PRO and front wheel I forgot to line it all up properly....sigh!

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-20170214_140408.jpg

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-20170214_140419.jpg
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    Ok here it is with the WTB Horizons, I must say to my eyes she is beautiful.

To address the silly things.

1 - I'm sorry I've got the saddle bag on.
    2 - I'm sorry I haven't wiped off the residue from a ride number stuck to my seatpost
    3 - Back wheel is PRO and front wheel I forgot to line it all up properly....sigh!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170214_140408.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	1121408

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170214_140419.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	1121409
    Looks rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Yup, not a pure road bike. Just a fun as hell bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One question: Your friend is driving in bib shorts, so it could not be so cold.
    But you use bar mitts during the same ride!?!?!?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Do you know if the Leonardo Racing amazing stems are comptable with the Slate Apex1 rigid fork?
    (I confess I am a newbie on Cannondale but the Slate got my attention)

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate

Quote Originally Posted by zett78 View Post
    One question: Your friend is driving in bib shorts, so it could not be so cold.
    But you use bar mitts during the same ride!?!?!?
    Because people have different thresholds for temp. My toes and fingers are always freezing, so I err in the side of caution with my fingers and toes.

Anyway, rather than nitpicking what people are wearing on a ride in a country halfway around the world, I weighed my Slate with the new wheels yesterday. 20.8 lbs with pedals and cages, ready to ride. Not too bad.

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Fun all around bike but I ended up selling mine with low miles since I wasn't riding much due to family issues. Anyways, I still have a custom sub 1300 gram 650b lefty wheelset I had professionally built that's practically brand new. I have it for sale on the mtbr classifieds. I rode them with some Soma Randonneur Green Label (300g) tires which were super fast and smooth. Wheel/tire setup was awesome for climbing and accelerating.

mtbr member
    My two bikes

Enjoy the ride...

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Anyone know what model hub that the recall wheels came with? I know it is a Formula hub but that is it. It look a lot like the CL-142S. I ask because I am building up an old F4000 SL 26" bike for my wife and I wanted to use these wheels for the 650b conversion with the Slate's Panaracer tires. It has 135 QR dropouts, though. I tried to remove the TA by firmly gripping the non-drive side of the axle and turning the drive side with a wrench (it calls out a direction for "loosen"), and the two parts do spin independently, but they don't tread apart like other TA setups I've seen.

Here is my current Cannondale fleet. I should probably branch out some day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Slate no wheels

Hello, just joined the forum. Here's a couple of pictures. Excuse my messy basement. My 2016 Slate Ultegra is awaiting it's replacement Mavic wheelset, which Cannondale said will ship to bike shops in mid-April. In early February I turned in the original recalled wheelset (as that is required) that's why my bike is legless for two months now. Once in, I would install these Schwalbe Marathon tires. I saw a lot of Surly Knard and Schwalbe G-1's among Slate owners here and I had second thoughts on my choice of tires to replace the stock ones. But then I remembered that I ride mostly pavement in an urban setting so my tire choice is still good I think. I'm wondering if I could set it up tubeless though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_4872.jpg  

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_4873.jpg  

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

They should have let you keep your stock wheels until they had replacements.

Or push them to use the cash value of the replacements toward a better set built by your LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I called up Cannondale and they said that to get the replacement wheelset I should turn in the old ones first to a Cannondale dealer and that's the procedure that bike shop knows as well. Others might have had a different experience in getting their 2016 wheels replaced though.

I'm not so bummed by the situation since it's still not pretty out there to ride as of yet, it snowed and then it's been raining a lot lately here in the NYC metro area. Also I have a 2005 Cannondale Bad Boy to use and I've gone out with it only once since my Slate has gone wheel-less

mtbr member
    There's no way I would turn in the recall wheels without receiving the replacement wheels at the same time. That's how it went in my case anyway.

mtbr member
    My shop ordered the wheels from Cannondale and when they arrived they called me and I went in and swapped them.

I have ridden my Slate 7 times in upatate NY, and 6 times in NC since the beginning of the year.

I would be very disappointed if I was told to turn in the wheels then wait months for replacements. I would request a refund and give them the entire bike back. Seems like pretty poor customer service to me. Completely unacceptable!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    There's no way I would turn in the recall wheels without receiving the replacement wheels at the same time. That's how it went in my case anyway.
    Yup, they called me when the wheels were in and I brought the bike in. I had my recall taken care of in early summer, though.

mtbr member
    My recall was done in early summer last year also.

As I think about it, shame on the dealer for not getting the wheels replaced before you purchased the bike. Those wheels were available early summer last year and it was the responsibility of the dealers to request replacements for bikes in inventory at the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I wish I had found this forum earlier and learned others' experiences re the wheelset recall. I have no choice now but to wait it out and hope I get to ride my Slate again when the weather improves.

Btw, I bought the bike used and pretty much new on eBay in February last year. I knew about the recall on the wheels long ago but thought that since one of its features is a tubeless-ready wheelset I might as well get that instead of staying on with the defective original set. Cannondale has said there has been a backlog on the manufacture and shipment of a new batch of replacement wheels and that accounts for the long wait

mtbr member
    Ahh Ebay, now we're getting to the bottom of this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ... still riding the original 'defective' wheels with no plans to swap them out. I'm running tubeless with Shwalbe G-Ones. They are great wheels and pretty light. I have a hard time parting with them for a heavier wheelset.
    I've ripped plenty of aggressive MTB single-track, raced 'cross on them many times, ridden roads, etc. Not one issue, not so much as a burp.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    ... still riding the original 'defective' wheels with no plans to swap them out. I'm running tubeless with Shwalbe G-Ones. They are great wheels and pretty light. I have a hard time parting with them for a heavier wheelset.
    I've ripped plenty of aggressive MTB single-track, raced 'cross on them many times, ridden roads, etc. Not one issue, not so much as a burp.
    I wish I'd have kept the stock wheels, too. I'm on some light weight Stans now anyway, so it is a bit of a moot point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I'm on some light weight Stans now
    What rims are you running?? If these 'defective' stockers ever fail, I'd build a set of Crest MK3's for it in a heartbeat! I've been beating the crap out of a set on my 29er HT and they are holding up better than I could have imagined for such a light rim.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    What rims are you running?? If these 'defective' stockers ever fail, I'd build a set of Crest MK3's for it in a heartbeat! I've been beating the crap out of a set on my 29er HT and they are holding up better than I could have imagined for such a light rim.
    ZTR Podium. They have been discontinued now, but they are super light. I have some 8 year old Arch wheels that I run on my backup hardtail and the only time they failed me was a full on Taco in a crash. I've been really happy with Stans wheels.

mtbr member

Last edited by mtnbkr80015; 1 Week Ago at 10:49 AM.
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Still rolling great on the Knards at almost 800 mi. No flats, grips loose dirt pretty well, not bad on wet tarmac either, set up tubed as recommended!

My outdoor trainer for XC races

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkset up with Knards(tubed) got some G-Ones on order to go tubeless later, but so far loving the Knards for all around riding. This bike is the perfect road bike for a mountain biker. Feels like a rocket on the road compared to my Hightower, and is a hoot on the trails
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anyone have experience with lighter wheelsets, while still durable, besides the stocker Mavics? What's a good build, any carbon options? This is for longer road rides so, the lighter wheelset the better to keep up w my roady group. My second set of Mavics with Knards are just fine for local road/trails, not worrying about weight.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789