Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowlo View Post
    They look great, I'm planning on ordering some WTB Resolute TCS tires later today (they also have the gum side wall which looks great)......if my LBS can't get them I'll have to look at ordering on line.
    Well thankyou very much, they're great tires, I got a ripper of a tear in the tread of one, sealed up easy as and kept riding! The gumwall you have to keep clean as it picks up a lot of muck from the road.
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Big Rove ST
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Upset

do you know where I can buy online a pair of wheels for the slate ?

it's really hard in france to find a lefty 50mm hub

thanks a a lot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russ_westbrook View Post
    I'm pretty sure Industry 9 has a set for the Slate.

mtbr member

thanks a a lot
    Not a definitive answer, but I got a set of the pre-recall (non-Mavic) wheels on eBay for $99. They can't run tubeless but I have them setup w/tubes for a backup pavement set. It's worth keeping an eye out.
    // Giant Trance Advanced
    // Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // Specialized Fatboy
    // Giant Glory

mtbr member

thanks a a lot
    I have had a pair custom-made by a wheelbuilder in Cologne. Great support, fair pricing. Can't think of any reason why he wouldn't be willing to send a pair to France. If you like I will get you the contacts...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm thinking of getting a Slate and I have a question on sizing. I'm 6' 2" 34 inside leg, would I be better on a Large or XLarge? It looks like I'm right in the middle of the two sizes. Best to go with the large and have something more playful? Or the longer toptube with the XLarge?

For reference I used to ride a 58cm Surly Cross Check.
    Fast enough to get there. Slow enough to enjoy the journey.

mtbr member

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate

Quote Originally Posted by easyrider75 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Slate and I have a question on sizing. I'm 6' 2" 34 inside leg, would I be better on a Large or XLarge? It looks like I'm right in the middle of the two sizes. Best to go with the large and have something more playful? Or the longer toptube with the XLarge?

Definitely XL, I'm 6'0", 32" inseam and ride a large and it is showing a lot of post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mtnbkr80015; 07-22-2017 at 04:50 AM.
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member

I'm on a size L at 6'2 30", seatpost (420mm) is at its absolute max. So, with a 34" inseam you HAVE to go XL I guess...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you mtnbkr80015 & triteacher. Looks like it's definitely an XL I guess.Thats a lot of seat post showing. I did speak to Cannonade and my local bike shops and they both recommended an XL. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying something that felt like a gate in an XL size.

I know it's not a mountain bike, but just how much offload abuse will this bike take?

Will the Surly Knards 650b fit?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Thank you mtnbkr80015 & triteacher. Looks like it's definitely an XL I guess.Thats a lot of seat post showing. I did speak to Cannonade and my local bike shops and they both recommended an XL. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying something that felt like a gate in an XL size.

I know it's not a mountain bike, but just how much offload abuse will this bike take?

Will the Surly Knards 650b fit?
    You can ride it on XC single track but it will be slow moving. I'm running Knards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So more gravel tracks, light offroad then. How much clearance is there with the Knards on the rear?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    So more gravel tracks, light offroad then. How much clearance is there with the Knards on the rear?
    Not sure. I never measured. I'm in Japan at the moment so it would be next week before I could measure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Recently fitted a Thompson stem, a little more purposeful than the original.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/57063139@N06/35306389323[img]

mtbr member
    New 2018 catalog seems incomplete. Some versions missing (cx1, ultegra), especially the two new SE versions...

mtbr member
    So I'm having an odd issue with my Slate 105. I have the post-recall Mavic wheels on it, and every 2-3 rides I'm ending up with half a dozen or so completely loose spokes. I'll start noticing a ticking while riding, hop off the bike and sure enough a handful of them will be completely loose, and I'll have to hand-tighten them on the trail and then re-tighten when I get home.

Has anyone run into this? Bike has ~400 miles on it so it's due for the shop's first service anyway, but this is definitely not something I want to deal with long term on a ~$3000 bike.
    // Giant Trance Advanced
    // Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // Specialized Fatboy
    // Giant Glory

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    So I'm having an odd issue with my Slate 105. I have the post-recall Mavic wheels on it, and every 2-3 rides I'm ending up with half a dozen or so completely loose spokes. I'll start noticing a ticking while riding, hop off the bike and sure enough a handful of them will be completely loose, and I'll have to hand-tighten them on the trail and then re-tighten when I get home.

Has anyone run into this? Bike has ~400 miles on it so it's due for the shop's first service anyway, but this is definitely not something I want to deal with long term on a ~$3000 bike.
    That is not normal at all. Get the shop to fix it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post

Had a similar issue on the original wheelset of my 105. Spokes kept on ticking no matter what I did, although they never came fully loose. Had them re-tightened and even greased in two different shops with no results. One shop owner told me he had experienced similar problems. In the end I gave them away and had a new set custom-built.
    Only recently I bought another original set on ebay (from a CX) which I now use as my "road set". Runs just fine, no noise whatsoever.
    Obviously there is quite a bit of variance regarding the build of the original set...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nunokas View Post
    New 2018 catalog seems incomplete. Some versions missing (cx1, ultegra), especially the two new SE versions...
    The German website "Bike, Steel, & Borrow" has images of two 2018 Slates. The Force 1 looks great in orange:

Bike, Steel & Borrow ‚ÄĘ 2018 Cannondale Slate Force 1

The 2018 Apex 1 is here:

2018 Cannondale Slate Apex 1 ‚ÄĒ Bike, Steel & Borrow

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd love some more details on the 2018's. I love the look of that Apex.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    XinMedia has more images of the Apex 1. The text is in Chinese however.

XinMedia images Page 5 (Apex/Ultegra)

There are also images of the Slate Ultegra on the site, but it doesn't look any different to me.

XinMedia images Page 6 (Ultegra)

I assume we'll start seeing articles about the new models soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Now Cannondale has a page for the Force 1. No price yet.

2018 Force 1

mtbr member
    I like the orange! Also the wheel and tire choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WylyQuimby View Post
    Now Cannondale has a page for the Force 1. No price yet.

2018 Force 1
    I'm figuring $4k. unfortunately right now I need 2 new bikes so I'll probably be looking for a 2017 105 on clearance.

mtbr member

Got a new mountain bike to complete my 650b Lefty stable

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I run Bruce Gordon Rock n' road 43mm tubeless ready, they are excellent tires, especially on gravel...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    An update:- I had it narrowed down to either a Slate or a Kona Private Jake. As much as I liked the Kona Private Jake, it just didn't really woo me. So I ordered a 2017 Slate 105 in XL. I was tempted to wait and order a 2018. But the new colours didn't really do it for me and I liked the 105 green with the road gearing.
    Last edited by easyrider75; 07-30-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Formerly of Kent
    Saw this at a local shop.

One of the best looking bikes I've ever seen. The orange color is amazing in person.

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_20170725_125324143.jpg
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Since I'm using my Ultegra more for pavement group rides, installed DT Swiss R460db 700c wheels and Schwalbe 1 tires, nice n light, of course rolls a bit better now, but surprisingly this alu frame is still compliant over expansion joints and other bumps. Nice!!

Weighs 1 1/4 lb less than stock Panaracer/Mavic set up. Now at 20 1/4.

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-slate-bp-5.jpgAnyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_2889.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Slate Ultegra gearing upgrade...

Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    Yes, I am aware. I have had the Mavic replacement wheels for several months now. Even though they are a little heavier, they were easy to setup tubeless, and have been trouble free. That's why I am considering rebuilding the rear with bladed spokes and an aftermarket hub rather than buy a complete wheel. I would rebuild the front with bladed spokes as well.

50-34 chainrings, and 11-32 cassette are the ticket for me. I believe that is how these bikes should have been spec'd. I used the OE Rear Derailleur with no issues. I went for a 10mm longer stem but don't need to flip it down.
    I was planning the exact same change! Could you specify de models of chainrings and cassete please!? To go exactly as you! Many thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Cannondale Slate by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr

Finally got a photo to upload...my Slate with a few changes. Thompson stem and seat-post, Salsa Cowbell bars and a recently fitted pair of WTB Resolute's, just in time for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Not a fan of the skinwall tires at all on the new bikes but different strokes for different folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JISIPO View Post
    I was planning the exact same change! Could you specify de models of chainrings and cassete please!? To go exactly as you! Many thanks in advance!
    Shimano Ultegra CS-6800 11-SPD Cassette... 11-32

Cannondale SpideRing Road Chainring Compact 50/34T - KP245
    These can be a little pricey but if you search around you can find a new takeoff at a dealer more reasonably priced. Slightly different but will function the same. They actually came as an option with Cannondale EVO a couple years ago but most guys wanted the bigger rings and a lot of these got left behind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Shimano Ultegra CS-6800 11-SPD Cassette... 11-32

Cannondale SpideRing Road Chainring Compact 50/34T - KP245
    These can be a little pricey but if you search around you can find a new takeoff at a dealer more reasonably priced. Slightly different but will function the same. They actually came as an option with Cannondale EVO a couple years ago but most guys wanted the bigger rings and a lot of these got left behind.
    Great Thanks! Found the cassette on Amazon, and the SpideRing in Cannondale Experts. Will try first the cassette to se how I can manage the steep inclines!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Cannondale Slate by mapledocumentdesign, on Flickr

Finally got a photo to upload...my Slate with a few changes. Thompson stem and seat-post, Salsa Cowbell bars and a recently fitted pair of WTB Resolute's, just in time for the weekend.
    Was checking those tires, interesting. After you have rolled them a few hundred miles, tell us about them... I used Schwalbe G-One All Round. They are just a bit skinnier, but have nice grip so far...

mtbr member
    Has anyone added a chain catcher to the stock clamp-type 105 FD? My LBS is telling me that I may need to change derailleurs in order to add one, something about the 36 front ring being too small and them having a hard time finding a catcher that's long enough.
    // Giant Trance Advanced
    // Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // Specialized Fatboy
    // Giant Glory

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Not exactly a Slate...but close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Is that the Lefty Oliver or another Lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post

What is that? Open UP?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What is that? Open UP?
    Looks like a SuperX Womens with a Lefty.
    '
    Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-superx.jpg
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post

Looks really cool!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    18 SuperX with Lefty Oliver.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I don't know why, I have no need, but I am looking and looking at the Slate.

I have a 2018 Diverge LOL

I wouldn't pay retail for the Slate - anyone know how good the sales are for the 2017 models since the 2018 are coming soon?

mtbr member
    Liked the Lefty so much, I got two

Enjoy the ride...

mhk
    beer horse
    Nice looking steed, Scotty B
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

mhk
    beer horse
    I was this close to buying a 2018 Diverge. As much as I liked the clearance for high volume 700c wheels, the future shock seemed a little gimmicky to me. Also, $3k for 105 seemed steep. Of course, the Slate seems gimmicky in several ways, but I'm kind of a C'dale fan boy.

No way I was going to even consider paying $4k for a bike w alu frame. Shop in CA was selling their demo 2017 Slate Forces for $2,500 (they comp'd shipping), and I went for it. Should arrive Wednesday. I've ridden a size large, and had a blast. XL on its way I will post some observations here after a few rides on it.
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

mtbr member
    Been riding my Slate to work exclusively for a few weeks. Avoiding Elk at 7:00am in the morning is not fun during the rut here in Yellowstone, but thankfully I've only been chased once
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_0747.jpg  

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JISIPO View Post
    Was checking those tires, interesting. After you have rolled them a few hundred miles, tell us about them... I used Schwalbe G-One All Round. They are just a bit skinnier, but have nice grip so far...
    I've been running the Horizons for about 1000km, its going to be very hard to go back to anything else. They have 1 small issue that I found, as i ride them on the road I pump them up quite a bit. If I get to over about 50psi the rear will rub the frame a bit. I do weigh 95kg tho.
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Big Rove ST
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post
    I was this close to buying a 2018 Diverge. As much as I liked the clearance for high volume 700c wheels, the future shock seemed a little gimmicky to me. Also, $3k for 105 seemed steep. Of course, the Slate seems gimmicky in several ways, but I'm kind of a C'dale fan boy.

No way I was going to even consider paying $4k for a bike w alu frame. Shop in CA was selling their demo 2017 Slate Forces for $2,500 (they comp'd shipping), and I went for it. Should arrive Wednesday. I've ridden a size large, and had a blast. XL on its way I will post some observations here after a few rides on it.
    So Matty....you get that beast yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi everybody, can someone please measure the Lefty Oliver travel in lockout mode ? I get now 1,5 - 2 cm when the fork is locked. Could swear it was darn firm closed and almost zero travel at the beginning.
    And is the lockout travel related to the amount of air beeing inside the fork ? Thx fellas !

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Have you checked the fork's air pressure?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yes, it is enough air in the fork. The prob is my lockout button was operating pretty firm from day one on. It's like something is grinding if I press it.
    How much travel do you guys have if the fork is locked out and you lean on it pretty hard ? Thx a lot !
    Manual reset did not help ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just picked up a close out Ultegra Slate. Tires setup tubeless, everything is adjusted and ready to get dirty. Changed out the cassette to an Ultegra 11-32 and have in order the compact spiderings in 50/34. Iíll eventually add some flat top bars and a nice wheelset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nice one! Will be keen to see the flat bars on it!
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Big Rove ST
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    Nice one! Will be keen to see the flat bars on it!
    Sorry... not flat bars like MTB bars, but road bars with a flat top for resting your hands.

mtbr member

Enjoy the ride...

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mthopton View Post
    Sorry... not flat bars like MTB bars, but road bars with a flat top for resting your hands.

The drops from the new Synapse look pretty neat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Great first ride today... pavement, sidewalks and single track.

mtbr member

Enjoy the ride...

mhk
    beer horse

New (to me) Slate

I picked up a lightly used 2017 Slate CX1 a month ago, and have been putting it through its paces, with a bias toward the rougher stuff. I prefer to ride to the ride, so it's nice to have more efficiency on the pavement on the way, and the trails closest to town (Bend, OR) are buffed out enough that the Slate can really shine.

I had to put a longer (110mm) 20-deg rise stem up front, as the short 5 or 6-deg it came with put the front end way too low (which was my initial concern with the bike, considering the head tube length on the XL is the same as the L). I'm 6'4" with size 14 shoes and I haven't had a problem with the chain stays at all, as another poster stated above. The cockpit feels just about perfect now.

It is of course slower on the road than my full-on road bike, but it's much faster on the road than my Flash carbon set up with Nanos. The Flash is better on light single track-only rides, but I will be curious how the Slate handles off road with more aggressive tires.

I have had a lot of fun on this bike so far, and I'm trying to be as objective as possible about it, but you know how it is when you get a new bike.

It rides very nicely on all types of gravel roads and packed dirt, with the front suspension smoothing out what would otherwise be a beating, especially over long miles. I am surprised how compliant the rear feels, as that was another major concern of mine, having owned harsh-feeling aluminum Cannondales in the past. I would attribute the compliance to the 42c tires, which have nice volume, and possibly the highly-manipulated stays on the frame?

It is silly that this bike comes with slicks, as I haven't seen a single picture of a Slate sporting slicks after it's been owned for a little while. Shame, because good 650b tires cost a pretty penny (I've ordered a set of WTB Resolutes at $50 apiece--ouch!).

I picked up this bike with nary a scratch for $2,400. . .and quickly depreciated its value just a couple days into our relationship, while attempting to navigate some rocky/silty single track near my home. Entering a turn a little hot, my rear tire broke loose, changing my line and leading me to clip my front wheel on a rock, sending me tumbling over the bars into a somersault down the rocky hillside to my left. I was fortunate to be wearing a full hydro pack, as it broke my fall. Getting my bearings, I looked around in time to see my new bike bounding end-over-end down the hill, a demon possessed. It would've made it to the Deschutes Trail about 60 ft further below were in not for a copse of pines the bike got hung up in. I could only shake my head in disbelief, for I have traveled that path by bike (even my road bike in a pinch) hundreds of times, and never taken a digger. Obviously I was being careless, but those tires are not made for anything other than road, undulating hard pack, or small gauge gravel. That's not to say I haven't taken it on technical single track, but it's just not at home. Luckily, nothing was broken (on me or the bike), but the sharp lava rock wreaked havoc on my paint! Oh well. Spilled milk at this point. Anyway, I think the Resolutes will expand this bike's repertoire significantly, with little speed cost.

On the subject of cost, there is no way I would have considered paying $4,250 for this bike (with alu frame, cockpit, everything). I noticed that the 2018 version comes with WTB Resolutes, a carbon seat post, and a $3,500 price tag, which makes more sense. I might be a little upset had I paid full retail for a previous version, but I guess that's what you can expect when buying a brand's new model.

I did put a carbon post on it (I had an extra lying around). I'm thinking about getting some Woodchippers, which I loved on my last adventure bike (Cannondale UltraX). The Origin8 Gary Ergo bars look interesting, however. Anyone tried those bars who can compare to the Woodchippers, btw? I ride on the hoods mostly, and rarely use the drops, but I used the drops on the Woodchippers much more than on traditional-shaped bars. I've found that the flare and shallow drop on the Woodchippers can inspire confidence in more technical terrain.

The Slate is my third bike with BB30, and the bottom brackets have all been noisy. On my carbon mtbs (flash and scalpel), all I have to do is take apart the cranks, clean, regrease and reassemble, without taking out the bearings. After a couple hundred miles on the Slate, the bb was clicking terribly, so I did the above like I always do. . .which didn't help much. So, after a little online research, ordering--and waiting for--a bearing punch, some bearing installation cups, a small bottle of Loctite 641, taking out the bearings, cleaning everything, putting the 641 on the outer bearing races and reinstalling, then waiting 24 hrs, the problem is solved for now. I don't know how much maintenance the bike shop from which I bought the demo had done, but this was more early maintenance than I had bargained for. However, I will spend the time necessary to try to quiet a noisy bike.

Despite my spectacular crash, and my attempts at staying objective, I still have new-bike giddiness. I've put about 400 miles on it, so I'll have to give an update once it's been around the block a few more times. So far, I can say that it is simply a FUN bike that wants to try almost any path/road/trail that catches my eye.

mtbr member

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hi guys,
    just to introduce you my Slate.....

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_0554%5B1%5D.jpg

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-slate.jpg
    and find informations about wheels set....

Good ride...

mtbr member
    got some new parts for my Slate

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    I did that. I have since switched back to the original parts. All I have left is the Wolftooth Tanpan. If anyone would like it let me know. I would love to send it to a new home. That setup works great but I just didnít need a low gear that low.

mtbr member

I did that. I have since switched back to the original parts. All I have left is the Wolftooth Tanpan. If anyone would like it let me know. I would love to send it to a new home. That setup works great but I just didnít need a low gear that low.
    Iíve been running 50-34 chainrings and 11-32 cassette but still not enough low gear. My main reason for changing is to get a clutch rear derailleur to prevent the chain from dropping off the chainring. The singletrack around here requires low gearing

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Looking at the Cannondale website and they show only 2 models for the Slate and both are equipped with SRAM groups. No Shimano equipped Slates for the immediate future? Seems odd to me. Both 1x also so that may be to blame?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456