Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by no mojo View Post
    How is the handling with the 80mm stem?
    Good as ever. I haven't noticed a huge change in handling, but I do feel just a tad more comfortable. Largely a preference thing, but glad i did it. Love the bike though, lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    Have just purchased a set of the WTB Horizons, planning on running tubeless. Love the gumwall look too
    I'd love to see a photo - I'm intrigued by those tires for my commuting wheelset during the summer months. I like the pari-moto/OEM tires for road use, but wouldn't mind something a tad more durable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hongziyang View Post
    I'd love to see a photo - I'm intrigued by those tires for my commuting wheelset during the summer months. I like the pari-moto/OEM tires for road use, but wouldn't mind something a tad more durable.
    Will post when they arrive - i'm going through the process of getting the replacement recall rims so will mount them and upload for you :-)

I'm looking forward to it!!
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Big Rove ST
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    a picture of mine

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-slate1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ok here it is with the WTB Horizons, I must say to my eyes she is beautiful.

To address the silly things.

1 - I'm sorry I've got the saddle bag on.
    2 - I'm sorry I haven't wiped off the residue from a ride number stuck to my seatpost
    3 - Back wheel is PRO and front wheel I forgot to line it all up properly....sigh!

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-20170214_140408.jpg

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-20170214_140419.jpg
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Big Rove ST
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

2 - I'm sorry I haven't wiped off the residue from a ride number stuck to my seatpost
    3 - Back wheel is PRO and front wheel I forgot to line it all up properly....sigh!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170214_140408.jpg 
Views:	1653 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	1121408

Name:	20170214_140419.jpg 
Views:	840 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	1121409
    Looks rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Yup, not a pure road bike. Just a fun as hell bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    One question: Your friend is driving in bib shorts, so it could not be so cold.
    But you use bar mitts during the same ride!?!?!?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Do you know if the Leonardo Racing amazing stems are comptable with the Slate Apex1 rigid fork?
    (I confess I am a newbie on Cannondale but the Slate got my attention)

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate

Quote Originally Posted by zett78 View Post
    One question: Your friend is driving in bib shorts, so it could not be so cold.
    But you use bar mitts during the same ride!?!?!?
    Because people have different thresholds for temp. My toes and fingers are always freezing, so I err in the side of caution with my fingers and toes.

Anyway, rather than nitpicking what people are wearing on a ride in a country halfway around the world, I weighed my Slate with the new wheels yesterday. 20.8 lbs with pedals and cages, ready to ride. Not too bad.

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Fun all around bike but I ended up selling mine with low miles since I wasn't riding much due to family issues. Anyways, I still have a custom sub 1300 gram 650b lefty wheelset I had professionally built that's practically brand new. I have it for sale on the mtbr classifieds. I rode them with some Soma Randonneur Green Label (300g) tires which were super fast and smooth. Wheel/tire setup was awesome for climbing and accelerating.

mtbr member
    My two bikes

Enjoy the ride...

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Anyone know what model hub that the recall wheels came with? I know it is a Formula hub but that is it. It look a lot like the CL-142S. I ask because I am building up an old F4000 SL 26" bike for my wife and I wanted to use these wheels for the 650b conversion with the Slate's Panaracer tires. It has 135 QR dropouts, though. I tried to remove the TA by firmly gripping the non-drive side of the axle and turning the drive side with a wrench (it calls out a direction for "loosen"), and the two parts do spin independently, but they don't tread apart like other TA setups I've seen.

Here is my current Cannondale fleet. I should probably branch out some day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Slate no wheels

Hello, just joined the forum. Here's a couple of pictures. Excuse my messy basement. My 2016 Slate Ultegra is awaiting it's replacement Mavic wheelset, which Cannondale said will ship to bike shops in mid-April. In early February I turned in the original recalled wheelset (as that is required) that's why my bike is legless for two months now. Once in, I would install these Schwalbe Marathon tires. I saw a lot of Surly Knard and Schwalbe G-1's among Slate owners here and I had second thoughts on my choice of tires to replace the stock ones. But then I remembered that I ride mostly pavement in an urban setting so my tire choice is still good I think. I'm wondering if I could set it up tubeless though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_4872.jpg  

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_4873.jpg  

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

They should have let you keep your stock wheels until they had replacements.

Or push them to use the cash value of the replacements toward a better set built by your LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I called up Cannondale and they said that to get the replacement wheelset I should turn in the old ones first to a Cannondale dealer and that's the procedure that bike shop knows as well. Others might have had a different experience in getting their 2016 wheels replaced though.

I'm not so bummed by the situation since it's still not pretty out there to ride as of yet, it snowed and then it's been raining a lot lately here in the NYC metro area. Also I have a 2005 Cannondale Bad Boy to use and I've gone out with it only once since my Slate has gone wheel-less

mtbr member
    There's no way I would turn in the recall wheels without receiving the replacement wheels at the same time. That's how it went in my case anyway.

mtbr member
    My shop ordered the wheels from Cannondale and when they arrived they called me and I went in and swapped them.

I have ridden my Slate 7 times in upatate NY, and 6 times in NC since the beginning of the year.

I would be very disappointed if I was told to turn in the wheels then wait months for replacements. I would request a refund and give them the entire bike back. Seems like pretty poor customer service to me. Completely unacceptable!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    There's no way I would turn in the recall wheels without receiving the replacement wheels at the same time. That's how it went in my case anyway.
    Yup, they called me when the wheels were in and I brought the bike in. I had my recall taken care of in early summer, though.

mtbr member
    My recall was done in early summer last year also.

As I think about it, shame on the dealer for not getting the wheels replaced before you purchased the bike. Those wheels were available early summer last year and it was the responsibility of the dealers to request replacements for bikes in inventory at the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I wish I had found this forum earlier and learned others' experiences re the wheelset recall. I have no choice now but to wait it out and hope I get to ride my Slate again when the weather improves.

Btw, I bought the bike used and pretty much new on eBay in February last year. I knew about the recall on the wheels long ago but thought that since one of its features is a tubeless-ready wheelset I might as well get that instead of staying on with the defective original set. Cannondale has said there has been a backlog on the manufacture and shipment of a new batch of replacement wheels and that accounts for the long wait

mtbr member
    Ahh Ebay, now we're getting to the bottom of this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ... still riding the original 'defective' wheels with no plans to swap them out. I'm running tubeless with Shwalbe G-Ones. They are great wheels and pretty light. I have a hard time parting with them for a heavier wheelset.
    I've ripped plenty of aggressive MTB single-track, raced 'cross on them many times, ridden roads, etc. Not one issue, not so much as a burp.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    ... still riding the original 'defective' wheels with no plans to swap them out. I'm running tubeless with Shwalbe G-Ones. They are great wheels and pretty light. I have a hard time parting with them for a heavier wheelset.
    I've ripped plenty of aggressive MTB single-track, raced 'cross on them many times, ridden roads, etc. Not one issue, not so much as a burp.
    I wish I'd have kept the stock wheels, too. I'm on some light weight Stans now anyway, so it is a bit of a moot point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm on some light weight Stans now
    What rims are you running?? If these 'defective' stockers ever fail, I'd build a set of Crest MK3's for it in a heartbeat! I've been beating the crap out of a set on my 29er HT and they are holding up better than I could have imagined for such a light rim.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    What rims are you running?? If these 'defective' stockers ever fail, I'd build a set of Crest MK3's for it in a heartbeat! I've been beating the crap out of a set on my 29er HT and they are holding up better than I could have imagined for such a light rim.
    ZTR Podium. They have been discontinued now, but they are super light. I have some 8 year old Arch wheels that I run on my backup hardtail and the only time they failed me was a full on Taco in a crash. I've been really happy with Stans wheels.

mtbr member

Last edited by mtnbkr80015; 04-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Still rolling great on the Knards at almost 800 mi. No flats, grips loose dirt pretty well, not bad on wet tarmac either, set up tubed as recommended!

My outdoor trainer for XC races

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkset up with Knards(tubed) got some G-Ones on order to go tubeless later, but so far loving the Knards for all around riding. This bike is the perfect road bike for a mountain biker. Feels like a rocket on the road compared to my Hightower, and is a hoot on the trails
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anyone have experience with lighter wheelsets, while still durable, besides the stocker Mavics? What's a good build, any carbon options? This is for longer road rides so, the lighter wheelset the better to keep up w my roady group. My second set of Mavics with Knards are just fine for local road/trails, not worrying about weight.

mtbr member

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi there mtnbkr80015,

Nice photos! Which stem do you have on your Slate?

Thanks! -Noah

mtbr member
    I have the stock stem which is 100mm
    Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Slate is going to get a proper test this Sunday. I signed-on for the Belgian Waffle Ride... 131 miles (90 paved/41 dirt) and 13,000 ft of climbing.
    I have a feeling that the Slate is more ready for this than I am!
    Last edited by TTUB; 05-15-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    The Slate is going to get a proper test this Sunday. I signed-on for the Belgian Waffle Ride... 131 miles (100 paved/41 dirt) and 13,000 ft of climbing.
    I have a feeling that the Slate is more ready for this than I am!
    Good god!

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I've had my Slate for a few months now. It has replaced my old "gravelized" Ridley X-Fire that has served me well and survived many a battle, from the gravel in the Fjords of Norway to the mud at the DK200.

The more I've had a chance to ride it, the more I've grown to love this bike. It really is a Swiss Army knife of bicycles. No, it isn't the fastest or the lightest bike if those are the criteria you are prioritizing. But, it is certainly easier on my aging body over long days in the saddle on varying terrain than a rigid fork bike.

I've done a couple of gravel races on it now, and I really don't think I'm giving up much speed over the racier bikes. And, for any of the events that last longer than just a couple of hours, the less beaten up body may reward me with better performance around the 10h +/- a few.

I've switched out to Schwalbe G-Ones, and most recently Nox Skyline 275 rims built on stock front hub and I9 rear hub. I've borrowed a Save seatpost off my F29 and replaced the stock handlebars with Easton EC70AX bars.

Looking forward to a few more gravel races this season, including the DK200 in two weeks and a bit. But, more importantly, the Slate has put a capital F on fun rides. I foresee many fun adventures with the Slate!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_2797.jpg  

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_2185.jpg  

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_2570.jpg  

Jouko

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Mine is in the shop right now. I was getting a noise from the crank that I couldn't diagnose. Apparently the internally brake hose had come free around the bottom bracket and the crank spindle was rubbing the hose. So the next time you pull your crank out, take a quick look to make sure that everything is buttoned up in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What air pressures are you guys running in your Lefty?? Are you following the spec/table on the fork leg?

mtbr member
    I run the pressure recommended by the table and it seems to be perfect.

mtbr member
    I just set up my Slate with some G-Ones (tubeless). I bought the non tubeless versions by mistake and those didn't seal (go figure). Now I have three spare sets of tires, the stock slicks, Surly Knards and the non tubeless G-Ones. Oh well, I don't have to worry about rubber for awhile

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Mine is in the shop right now. I was getting a noise from the crank that I couldn't diagnose. Apparently the internally brake hose had come free around the bottom bracket and the crank spindle was rubbing the hose. So the next time you pull your crank out, take a quick look to make sure that everything is buttoned up in there.

Take an old single serve Stans sealant bottle, cut the ends off, cut a slit through the middle and wrap it around the spindle. Protects the spindle and cables.

mtbr member
    Taking mine out for a relatively easy 22 mile out and back off-road ride tomorrow. It's only about 1500 ft of climbing but there is a cool Lake at the top.

Edit: only made it 12.5 miles as there is still too much snow higher up the trail. The trailhead and first 5.5 miles were dry and fast. The sun was shining and I had high hopes of making it to the top, but mother nature had better ideas. There's only so much snow 40c tires can deal with

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-img_1879.jpg  

Last edited by mtnbkr80015; 05-21-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Enjoy the ride...

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Take an old single serve Stans sealant bottle, cut the ends off, cut a slit through the middle and wrap it around the spindle. Protects the spindle and cables.
    Apparently Cannondale hosed up quite a few of these as an assembly defect. I'll keep your recommendation in mind should the zip-tie fail again (indicating a design issue). Right now Cannondale is covering the repair (new brake hose, new hollowgram spindle).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sunny Slate ride.... .

mtbr member

Guys,
    I need a little help.
    I was very lucky on ebay yesterday and grabbed a pair of the Slate's stock wheels in mint condition for 200,- euros, including the panaracers & tubes
    But now the fun starts. I want to exchange the XD freehub for a traditional 11speed freehub that will fit my Ultegra setup. As I have never done this before I am not really sure how to go about it. Which freehub do I have to buy that will fit the hub axle? I looked online but Stan's, DTs and Mavics all seem to be different from each other...
    Can anybody help, please?!?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by triteacher View Post
    Guys,
    I need a little help.
    I was very lucky on ebay yesterday and grabbed a pair of the Slate's stock wheels in mint condition for 200,- euros, including the panaracers & tubes
    But now the fun starts. I want to exchange the XD freehub for a traditional 11speed freehub that will fit my Ultegra setup. As I have never done this before I am not really sure how to go about it. Which freehub do I have to buy that will fit the hub axle? I looked online but Stan's, DTs and Mavics all seem to be different from each other...
    Can anybody help, please?!?
    Depends on the hub maker. The Stan's wheelset that I bought came with an XD driver and that specific hub was incompatible with an 11 speed Shimano driver. Faced with either changing out my Ultegra RD to a long cage and buying a new cassette (with much wider gearing) or changing out the hub, my LBS found a different hub for me and rebuilt the wheel with the compatible hub. The trick is figuring out who makes the hub for your wheelset.

mtbr member
    I'm 99% certain you have a Formula hub. The free hub body should be available but I spent a few minutes and couldn't find one in stock (Universal Cycles shows them "out of stock").

mtbr member
    Called my dealer this morning and he said that C'dale is offering an 11speed freebody for the set. He will contact me on Monday regarding price and availability.
    He also said he was about 95% sure a Stan's body will fit, but I want to be sure before I spend money on it.
    Will keep you updated.
    Peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There is definitely a Shimano freehub body available as the Slate Ultegra shares the same hub. You'll need the freehub body and end cap.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

It is a Formula hub if the same as the Ultegra model. I can't find any information about the actual model because I was hoping to be able to switch it to 135x9 QR for use on another bike.

My bags are finally in for bikepacking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I hate to say it... it's been a great bike... but my Slate 105 Large is up for sale.
    If anyone is looking, it's in great shape with some nice upgrades...
    >50/34 rings
    >11-32 Cassette
    >Long Cage RD to accommodate above gearing
    >WTB Volt Saddle
    >Stock tires and Schwalbe G-Ones included

Located in Southern California, Ventura County.
    I'm hoping for a local sale... but if there is no local interest, I'll become more flexible on shipping.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    I hate to say it... it's been a great bike... but my Slate 105 Large is up for sale.
    If anyone is looking, it's in great shape with some nice upgrades...
    >50/34 rings
    >11-32 Cassette
    >Long Cage RD to accommodate above gearing
    >WTB Volt Saddle
    >Stock tires and Schwalbe G-Ones included

Located in Southern California, Ventura County.
    I'm hoping for a local sale... but if there is no local interest, I'll become more flexible on shipping.
    Did you complete that 131 mi ride?

I'm ready for bikepacking this weekend. 165 miles through WV including the highest point in the state. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    @Quentin Please post some pics if you find the time. Sounds like an awesome trip

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did you complete that 131 mi ride?
    Nope! I gave it my best shot... unfortunately for all participants, there was a heatwave that weekend. The temps were manageable through the morning and at the higher elevations through lunch time. The last 60 miles were at lower elevations and featured some nasty climbing. I made it 80 miles and threw in the towel. Temps were pushing past 95 degrees.
    Every aide station seemed to have at least one or two riders in some sort of distress. Some pushed it a little too much in order to finish and needed medical attention and even IVs.
    The ride itself is diabolical enough on a nice day... but I'll be back!
    The Slate did not disappoint. There was an even mix of road, gravel and cross bikes. The Slate was surely not the fastest on the pavement, but I was flying by everyone on the dirt sections.

Looking forward to reading your trip report. The Slate looks like a natural for bike packing.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

My custom Andrew The Maker bag came in time. Super nice bag.

I'll hopefully have a lot of pics from the trip. I've made some small tweaks to the route that should make it more pleasant but I lost one of my great views. The single track to get there appears to nearly require an FS MTB.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

Spruce Knob

Judy Gap

Blackwater Canyon Trail

Smoke Hole

mtbr member
    Called my dealer this morning and he said that C'dale is offering an 11speed freebody for the set. He will contact me on Monday regarding price and availability.
    He also said he was about 95% sure a Stan's body will fit, but I want to be sure before I spend money on it.
    Will keep you updated.
    Peace
    Okay, it is done!
    My dealer ordered a Formula freebody but it turned out to be available by early July (if at all) ...
    I went online and ordered someplace else, along with a pair of Formula end caps ( the guy on the phone insisted I needed to get them - which turned out to be wrong in the end).
    For those interested:
    Freebody: Formula FH-536

Important: Apart from the variation in color, the new end caps are black of course, the one on the freebody side does not fit! I installed the wheel and it wouldn't spin as the hub's axle was not moving at all. Turned out the inner piece of the end cap pressed on the bearing inside of the freehub. The original / purple end caps did the job AND matched the hub, so I'll try and return the new ones. Apart from this issue assembly really was a no-brainer, i.e. if you are one of the lucky bastards to own a 12mm allen key to fit into the hub's axle. I admit I had to borrow one :-)
    In the end I have got a kick-ass looking second set of wheels for my ride for round about 300,-... And guess what - they even weigh in a few grams lighter than my DT-Swiss/G-Ones combo! Yeah Baby!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ... and I thought I was running out a lot of seatpost!

mtbr member
    I demoed one this morning around 11AM, went for a trail ride to think about it and then went back to buy it afterwards. I didn't realize how small they ran - my road and CX bikes are 54s, and I ended up on a large.

Anyone tried the Cannondale Slate-drsc6y7.jpg

I bought this for gravel and local rail trails, so the shock is right in my wheelhouse. It seems to take the edge off of bumps and roots and my wrists should love it long term. The stock tires make no sense at all to me, so I already have a set of Knards on order. I considered trying the Schwalbes but I have had awful luck with their tires on my regular AM/XC bikes.

I'm definitely looking forward to doing a few long dirty rides on it. I think as a whole the bike is a bit silly and looking for a niche, as well as probably being ~$500 or so overpriced, but eh - life is short and bikes are awesome, and sometimes a comical "road" bike with a lefty if just what the doctor ordered, ya know?
    Last edited by Seventh-777; 06-20-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '17 Cannondale Scalpel-Si
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member

Nice bike, really like those tyres. How is the clerance in the rear?

mtbr member
    I really like this bike and now they have it on sale
    (ultegra for aprox. 2540 USD)

But i stil like to know more about the oliver, and how it works for you guys?

I guess that it works fine on gravel roads with potholes and so on, but i like to ride singeltrack with roots and small stones etc.
    How do you think it works in those conditions?

Is the travel enough, is it plush enough?

Today i have an Jamis Renegade and its a nice bike, but when i hit the trails i sometimes wish for some form of damping in the front, after a while my hands/wrists get sore from the rattling.

Sorry for my Swenglish

Stefan Magnusson
    Sweden

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Just my two cents. Yes, the travel is "enough". It is definitely not plush though, which makes it perfect for this bike. It takes the edge off the bumps but it is definitely not "plush". You almost never even notice that it is working which I like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    I really like this bike and now they have it on sale
    (ultegra for aprox. 2540 USD)

But i stil like to know more about the oliver, and how it works for you guys?

I guess that it works fine on gravel roads with potholes and so on, but i like to ride singeltrack with roots and small stones etc.
    How do you think it works in those conditions?

Today i have an Jamis Renegade and its a nice bike, but when i hit the trails i sometimes wish for some form of damping in the front, after a while my hands/wrists get sore from the rattling.

Sorry for my Swenglish

Stefan Magnusson
    Sweden
    I ride the occasional singletrack on my CX bikes as well, and though this has the shock I think it really depends on how much trail you intend to use it on. If it's more than the occasional ride here and there, IMO you're better off on an XC hardtail.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input, really helpful.

I ride singeltrack but not all the time. when i do i take my MTB

But most of the time i like to ride some gravelroad and then occasionally some singeltrack and then back out on the gravelroad again,
    and most of the time my MTB seems overkill for my riding, but the cx sometimes feels a little to stiff in the front.

I think the Slate could be my perfect companion for most of my riding :-)

Im most likely placeing an order tonight :-)

Have anyone tried the WTB Riddler 45?

mtbr member
    Gah, i really can't make up my mind. Should i buy a Slate or a Sequoia? I almost ordered a Slate last night but got cold feet at the last moment. I want a bike that is fun and fast on singeltrack. Please help me decide, what do you like about your Slate. 😊

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I ride a lot of singletrack on my Nomad and use my Slate when the trails are closed and to get the miles in. I've done some of the tamer singletrack on the Slate and it was fun and capable, but I wouldn't take it through any rocky or rooty trails IMO. The fork isn't a mountain bike fork, it's definitely better than a rigid but it's damped pretty stiff on compression.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anybody have the wheel weights on hand for the recall new mavic wheels handy? I've had a brief look however my searching is bringing up nothing. Thinking of getting some new wheels and need to compare.
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Big Rove ST
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Almost 1500 mi on the Slate, using both slicks and Knards, so far xlnt, reliable, and smoooooth everywhere, esp on pavement. Be it I wished the Knards are tubeless but has not had any punctures. The now tubeless stock Panaracer slicks had it's turns with punctures but sealant kept it rolling. I'd say 75/25 road/dirt so far.

So......here is my question. Since I'm still finding more road work than trails, fireroads, gravel, the bike is still at roughly 21 lbs. Has anyone lighten the Slate to 18-19 lbs, with what upgrades? I'd imagine carbon wheelset, OPI stem, ??? My hardtail race bike is even lighter than this bike :\ Thanks for any info. This will help tremendously with my group roady rides.

My Ultegra model is all stock except for 11-32t Ultegra cassette added on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=Quentin;13201453][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk

Ahh, that's a nice share, great pics! I assume per your grin that the bike performed great?! More pics....

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Anybody have the wheel weights on hand for the recall new mavic wheels handy? I've had a brief look however my searching is bringing up nothing. Thinking of getting some new wheels and need to compare.
    Sorry I did not weight the Mavic wheels separately when I went tubless recnetly. I only know the 2 thick stock inner tubes combined weigh .97 lbs which is a nice savings for basically no cost besides the one tubless valve stem I needed.

mtbr member
    Anybody have the wheel weights on hand for the recall new mavic wheels handy?
    I weighed the rear replacement wheel (Mavic rim/Formula hub) last night and it came in at 1,170 grams with the valve and rotor installed. The Ice Tech rotor weighs around 100 grams so rear replacement wheel weight should be around 1,070 grams. I believe the OEM hub and spokes are conspiring to make this wheel 200 grams or so heavier than an aftermarket wheel might be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    I weighed the rear replacement wheel (Mavic rim/Formula hub) last night and it came in at 1,170 grams with the valve and rotor installed. The Ice Tech rotor weighs around 100 grams so rear replacement wheel weight should be around 1,070 grams. I believe the OEM hub and spokes are conspiring to make this wheel 200 grams or so heavier than an aftermarket wheel might be.
    Thanks for this Mick, much appreciated. So it's about an 1800-1900g wheelset you'd say.
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Big Rove ST
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

mtbr member
    Thanks for this Mick, much appreciated. So it's about an 1800-1900g wheelset you'd say.
    Around 1,800g I would say but that's just a guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi All, I'm about to buy a 2nd hand 105 Slate....looks to be in A1 condition (fully stock). Mainly to be used on local fire trails, tame single track and gravel rides (much like everyone else)

So I've read the 5 pages on this thread (loads of great info) and I was hoping to find some info on a tubeless tire like the Knard but it looks like the G1 is the only tubeless option with grip.
    Without having the bike in hand I was wanting ask if anyone is running something like a Maxxis Race TT....it's 27.5 x 2" so perhaps too wide.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    I'm running the Knard tubeless. It has served me well for 8 months.

mtbr member
    Tried to set up Knards and G One performance tubeless with poor results. The only tire that has held air is either the stock Panaracers or the TL easy G-Ones.

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm running the Knard tubeless. It has served me well for 8 months.

Nice, what psi do you run for trails? Any issues in the 8 months?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    Tried to set up Knards and G One performance tubeless with poor results. The only tire that has held air is either the stock Panaracers or the TL easy G-Ones.

Oh OK, so no attempt at any Maxxis tires.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowlo View Post
    Nice, what psi do you run for trails? Any issues in the 8 months?
    45 psi. That is the limit of my rims. No issues. I flatted frequently on the panaracers (liked the tires other than that), but nothing on the Knards.

mtbr member
    Oh OK, so no attempt at any Maxxis tires.
    No attempt with Maxxis but the frame will only accept 1.65" max per Cannondale

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr80015 View Post
    No attempt with Maxxis but the frame will only accept 1.65" max per Cannondale

Cool.....I'll keep looking for a shop that sells the G1 locally (or Knard).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So my LBS came back to me with a great price to buy a new bike today as opposed to the 2nd hand one I've been looking at....I couldn't pass it by so I've ordered a new medium frame. I went off the size chart on one of the Slate dealers web site so it should be perfect (I'm 5.8.....medium is spec'd for 5.6 to 5.9, and I don't have super long legs should be good). I also ride a medium Focus Mares AX for racing, prior to that I rode a 54cm Crux which was probably better sized than the Mares. Hopefully I've done the right thing.

UPDATE
    Update to this, I've just double checked and I'm 177cm tall which I think is actually 5.10 or just under.....so got myself worried now. Perhaps the large is better for me :-(

mtbr member
    So my LBS came back to me with a great price to buy a new bike today as opposed to the 2nd hand one I've been looking at....I couldn't pass it by so I've ordered a new medium frame. I went off the size chart on one of the Slate dealers web site so it should be perfect (I'm 5.8.....medium is spec'd for 5.6 to 5.9, and I don't have super long legs should be good). I also ride a medium Focus Mares AX for racing, prior to that I rode a 54cm Crux which was probably better sized than the Mares. Hopefully I've done the right thing.

UPDATE
    Update to this, I've just double checked and I'm 177cm tall which I think is actually 5.10 or just under.....so got myself worried now. Perhaps the large is better for me :-(
    Probably not what you want to hear, but I'm 5'10 with a 30" inseam and I ended with a large. My road and CX bikes are both 54s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ... and I thought I was running out a lot of seatpost!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    Probably not what you want to hear, but I'm 5'10 with a 30" inseam and I ended with a large. My road and CX bikes are both 54s.
    Hi Seventh, thanks for replying.....the bike won't arrive till tomorrow and as long as it's not assemble it can be returned. I spoke to them (LBS) this afternoon and there happy to send it back and get a large in....just means a little longer wait, but it will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

I ordered a pair, but sadly they rub on my rear chainstay (medium frame). I'm bummed, they seem great.

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009

UPDATE
    I would suggest the large for you over a medium frame. I'm 6'3 32" inseam and I have an XL. The seatpost on the large would not go high enough for me with the sloping down tube. For reference my Flash 29er is a large and fits great, the Slate runs small IMO.

mtbr member

My personal two cents...
    I'm 6'2 30" inseam and I ride an L. Yes, seatpost (C'dale Save 420cm) is at max length, but after a year of riding I am still super-happy with the bike. I compared the XL back then and even though it fit me it didn't feel as agile as the smaller frame did. For comparison, I'm also on a Flash 29er size L.
    Sorry, but I would suggest the medium over the large for you... Whenever you are somewhere in between - go for the smaller frame size!

mtbr member
    I also feel that the medium will most likely fit you perfectly.

At just shy of 5'10" you are right in between the M, and the L according to the chart.

Did you ride the bike that you were originally going to buy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just read up on how to measure it properly (bike shoes on and straddle a book against a wall, sounds bad hey LOL.....so I'm 86cm so 33.8" )

No I didn't get to ride the medium, I was planning on doing so tonight.
    I'm not fazed about it being more nibble, more wanting it similar size to the Crux 54 I had. Or a little smaller than the Focus Mares (M). They both perfect size for me, the Crux was a little better but the Mares has a more open frame for shouldering the bike and a tad larger than normal (as it should be for a CX bike you plan to race on).

Just spoke again with my LBS, he's getting the Large in for me later today and will build either one on Monday.
    Hes almost the same size as me and told me that he used to have a medium in the shop, when he rode it he thought it felt a little small. As I'm wanting to do 100k gravel rides he thinks the L wide more comfortable over the longer period and I tend to agree with him.... and the comments from you guys above.

Well I'll I'll stop thinking out loud and post back when I have bike in hand, going to jump on a Large tomorrow to test.
    Last edited by Dowlo; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well I went to a bike shop further away from home this morning as they had a M & L on the floor....the size difference between the two was amazing. I was fully stretched out on the large, and would require a shorter stem possibly also moving e saddle forwards. Also the bars we're wider than I'd want on the large, so yes the large could work for me with adjustments.
    The medium at first sight looked too small, however once I got the saddle to the correct height and setback it was almost perfect. I'd probably flip the stem (on mine) and rotate the bars but not worth it on the shop bike. Bars were perfect width also, probably normal width.

So my LBS is building the medium today, planning on getting it later this afternoon.
    I told them about the large and how stretched out I was, which they found surprising & totally agreed with the decision on the M.

I guess it goes to show that spec sheets don't always give the complete story, hopping on the beast is best. What's interesting is I wrote down all the bike geo for the M Slate and 54cm Crux to I could see a side by side comparison (as opposed to flipping between web pages). Well there actually very similar, but not exactly the same.....different enough to make things fun :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

They look great, I'm planning on ordering some WTB Resolute TCS tires later today (they also have the gum side wall which looks great)......if my LBS can't get them I'll have to look at ordering on line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Oooo....stock as a rock.
    Swooped over to XT spds, put the water bottle cages on and am ready for a roll tomorrow morning. See how it feels after a roll tomorrow before Inflip the stem.

mtbr member
    Enjoy

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Amazing, this bike is different to anything I've ridden but so very familiar.......I'm really happy with the size and decision to get a Slate.
    Above is a pic from my first ride this morning, it's at the end of a switch back decent (out and back for trail.....nice long level trail with a gradual incline toward the end followed by a series of switch backs dropping into Bobbin Head gorge....the back up and out). The I did the road version twice, followed by the fire trail again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Today's ride home from work. The graffiti goes quite well with the green Slate me thinks
    Hi Triteacher, I like the stem you've fitted.....did you have to make adjustments to anything in order to fit it? I actually asked my LBS about fitting one but they didn't think it would attach!
    My mate has one on his Scalpel, fantastic design.

mtbr member
    Hi Dowlo,
    As you can see - it DOES fit;-)
    What you need is the "OPI steerer", in my case XL length for a Slate frame size L.
    Then choose the OPI stem option you like. Mounting the thing is a no-brainer really

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Anyone see the "fender up" feature on the new synapse? Looks like it is the same little mounting holes on the bottom side of the Slate's seat stays (up near the seat tube).

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi Dowlo,
    As you can see - it DOES fit;-)
    What you need is the "OPI steerer", in my case XL length for a Slate frame size L.
    Then choose the OPI stem option you like. Mounting the thing is a no-brainer really

My slate is M and a little bit too short for me

this stem seems to be perfect

thanks

i'm still searching for wheelset replacement
    to have 2 pairs

mtbr member
    tried it today to and from work, now it's beer thirty

Enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rode a slate Ultegra XL about 1000' before returning it to the shop. I'm 6'-5" and wear a size 12 shoe, my damn heels clipped the chain stays about every time around. Here's to hoping they make a true XL next year. Interesting bike for certain

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hongziyang View Post
    I ordered a pair, but sadly they rub on my rear chainstay (medium frame). I'm bummed, they seem great.
    I'm on a Large Frame, if I pump them up to above 50psi I'll get them rubbing, I have them around 45 and it missed the frame by a bee's d1ck....
    Cannondale Slate Ultegra
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Kona Big Rove ST
    -----
    Retired:
    Fuji Cross 3.0
    Fuji Absolute 3.0
    Marin Pine Mountain 1

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast