mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Any tips to prevent flats?

I ride my cyclocross on both paved and gravel roads, and have gotten lots of flats. I don't know if its something about my tires, tubes, or wheels that has caused the flats, but because the problem was so bad, I picked up new wheels (Vuelta Zero Lite Comp - needed to upgrade anyway), tires (Hutchinson Toro CX), and will also pick up 2 new tubes. Is there anything else I can do to prevent flats? I'm really paranoid here...thought about using Stan's or something along those lines. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Last edited by getagrip; 03-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Need more information here. Are you getting puncture flats (from thorns, glass, etc) or pinch flats (from not having enough pressure in your tires)? Could also be a rim strip issue on your original wheels. Let us know what kind of issues you're having.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    Need more information here. Are you getting puncture flats (from thorns, glass, etc) or pinch flats (from not having enough pressure in your tires)? Could also be a rim strip issue on your original wheels. Let us know what kind of issues you're having.
    Things like thorns, glass, or stuff that I might run into on the road, and other things I might run into on rail to trail conversion - basically an old railroad turned into a bike trail, in the middle of farmland, but covered mostly by trees. Not a pinch flat issue that I can tell.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    What tires were you originally running? If puncture flats are your issue, then it's definitely a tire/tube problem. Most CX tires don't really have any puncture flat protection. You could go tubeless, or fill your tubes with sealant. Could also pick up some tire liners, but I'd try sealant first if you continue having issues.

mtbr member
    As CycleAddict suggested, the more info the better.

Going forward, you can help yourself identify issues by being very methodical about tube/tire installation. For example, you should always mount your tires with the logo centered on the valve stem. It's not just pretty but also helps you to locate the cause behind your puncture. Pull the tube, locate the puncture and then (since the tube valve lines up with the logo) inspect the tire where the tube was damaged.

I hope that doesn't seem too obvious but recurring issues usually happen because some riders forget to inspect their tires after a flat. They don't remove debris or locate tire damage which may be at the root of the problem. While puncture protection, adequate pressure or going tubeless might solve the problem, getting to the bottom of any tire issue requires you to identify the precise location where the problem occurred.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've had very good luck with the Schwalbe Marathon Mondail tires I have been running on my cross bike. I originally ran them with Michelin Protek Max tubes and no flats in about 1200 miles of hard riding. Those tubes are supposed to resist pinch flats.

Then I converted the tires to tubeless on Stans rims and that is working very well after 700 miles:
    - DSCF1446
    The speed and traction of the Mondails in tubeless form is far and away better than with heavy tubes in them. I run them (700x40) at 30psi on and off road and can hold speed on pavement quite well.

I also had Schwalbe Marathon touring tires on my touring bike and rode over 3000 miles of dirt/gravel/pavement on those w/ no flats. I ran flat strips and thorn-less tubes in those tires.

mtbr member
    I run a high school team with 8 team bikes and decided to put Stans in all the Schrader tubes (works pretty slick, since the opening is pretty big after removing the stem from inside the valve), and it was the best decision ever. We never have to mess with flats, even though we ride in a goathead infested area.

I taught each student how to refill their tubes. They do it all themselves.

If you buy presta tubes, make sure they have removal stem. I run Stans in my cyclocross presta tubes as well. Some of our courses are thorn infested.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/