mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Any one using Stan's Apha 340's w/ Schwalbe Sammy Slicks or Clement PDX's?

If so, weight and tire pressures. Thanks

I am about to obtain a wheelset with Apha 340 rims.

First time trying tubeless on CX bike. I am familiar with tubeless running Stan's Crest rims.

Sammy's and PDX's are what I have from running tubes. PDX's have a nice supple sidewall (from what I understand that is most desirable running tubeless) while Sammy's have stiffer sidewall.

I weigh about 148, and have been running 35psi rear and 32-33psi fr with no problems with tubes

Thanks in advance

Bro Mountainbiker
    Stans alpha rims dont set up the same as their MTB rims. Deeper bead channel makes getting the bead on and off the rim easy, but also makes them though to set up even with a high flow compressor.

Never ran either of those tires on my Alpha 400s though.
    Sorry i couldnt be more help.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I run the same wheels with schwable racing ralphs and clement LAS tires, I run around 42 psi in the RR's and about 45-40 psi in the LAS's to get them rolling fast! I weigh 185 and ride a cannondale super-x disc, love the wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    I run the same wheels with schwable racing ralphs and clement LAS tires, I run around 42 psi in the RR's and about 45-40 psi in the LAS's to get them rolling fast! I weigh 185 and ride a cannondale super-x disc, love the wheels!
    you should try 'em in the mid-30s so they'll roll really fast.

mtbr member
    I'm using a 340 with a PDX in front set up tubeless at 30 psi with no problems

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have used this combo extensively the last couple years. Never could run low pressures, or a tire would blow off the rim. Run tubes or run lots of air and suffer the wrath of the ground. At 148lbs I was using mid 30s with the Clement tires tubeless. I could get in the low 30s with Michelin Mud2 as the bead was tighter, and that is with the 400 wraps of Stans tape to increase BSD . If thorns are not a problem, tubes work great at keeping tires on!

DT

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    I have used this combo extensively the last couple years. Never could run low pressures, or a tire would blow off the rim. Run tubes or run lots of air and suffer the wrath of the ground. At 148lbs I was using mid 30s with the Clement tires tubeless. I could get in the low 30s with Michelin Mud2 as the bead was tighter, and that is with the 400 wraps of Stans tape to increase BSD . If thorns are not a problem, tubes work great at keeping tires on!

DT
    Thanks. I just received Mud 2's today per previous owners recommendation (he said he ran 30f 28r @ 175 lbs with no problem, looks like just 1 layer of stan's tape. I wanted specialized captains, but could not find any

Will mount up tonite and test next couple of days before race sunday, I did not want to experiment with tires I had, he said he had a hard time sealing pdx's at rim - said sealant kept leaking thru little groves in tire bead

mtbr member
    I'm running the PDX in front and Mud 2 in the rear, raced last night with 28 psi front and 30 rear I think that's as low as I'll go, I had great traction

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    I'm running the PDX in front and Mud 2 in the rear, raced last night with 28 psi front and 30 rear I think that's as low as I'll go, I had great traction
    Thanks - your weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Thanks - your weight?
    160-165 lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Success. Mud 2's survived first race w/ no problems. 30r/28fr with pump gauge -150 lb rider. (I also won Cat 4 open).

I don't think anyone there ever seen stan's tubeless rims, you would have thought my wheel's were from mars the way everyone was looking at them and asking me questions. And this was in a major metro US city.