Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Just Ride!

Any Norco Threshold riders?

Hey all, I am looking for any reviews from riders of the Norco Threshold. It sure looks like a decent package and would like to hear from anyone that can confirm this.

Just Ride!
    I should also mention that I am looking at the alloy models. Can't afford carbon...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Seems okay. Geometry seems okay.

For me, the bigger question is how is the warranty service? Is the rear mech hangar a standard part?

Just Ride!
    Not a huge dealer network, but they do have a lifetime frame warranty and std hangar. I would say that I am pretty easy on bikes though too. In the last 14 years of riding, I have never broken anything beyond repair, and just worn out a few bottom brackets and several chains. I guess my main motivation for this bike is that they offer a size 57, I seem to fall between the typical 56 and 58.

Ride!
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Hey all, I am looking for any reviews from riders of the Norco Threshold. It sure looks like a decent package and would like to hear from anyone that can confirm this.
    Im currently riding the 2013 Norco Threshold SL. I know you mentioned your looking into the aluminum model but the carbon shares the similar geometry.

I noticed right away that i felt very comfortable immediately on the bike. The bikes geometry makes this a fun bike to ride around but also a capable CX race bike. The bikes handling is very good, I actually have been riding a mix of off road paths and full mtb trails on it.I like how the bike has a water bottle cage mount, which is extremely handy when out riding or training.

From what i've seen, Norco is a company that really focuses on making sure the customer is taken care of after the sale. There warranty seems top notch and they are at all the major cycling events helping out.
    Ride!

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomkDH View Post
    I noticed right away that i felt very comfortable immediately on the bike. The bikes geometry makes this a fun bike to ride around
    That is exactly what I am looking for! Not a specific racer, but something comfortable for gravel, light trail, and occasional asphalt. Thanks for the feedback on the geometry as it certainly helps my decision process.

mtbr member
    I have 2013 Threshold A1 that I have been using for training on gravel, pavement, and railtrail for the past six or so weeks. I have also used it to race. And will it's a little beefy, it's been great to have the disc brakes and the Shimano 105 is decent too.

Norco is a very solid small Canadian brand. You can't go wrong for support and warranty with these folks and they have been in business for a long time.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Just Ride!
    Not understanding the term "beefy," as in being overbuilt or harsh?

mtbr member
    Beefy as in heavy...My mountain bike is just over 22lbs and this is a couple of pounds heavier. Not harsh at all. Love the bike so far, except for changing the crappy Vittoria tires it came with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Beefy as in heavy...My mountain bike is just over 22lbs and this is a couple of pounds heavier. Not harsh at all. Love the bike so far, except for changing the crappy Vittoria tires it came with.
    Which model did you get?? A3?

mtbr member

I have an A1. Shimano 105 drivetrain, Hayes mech disc brakes. Wheels could be lighter as well as a few components. But this is more if a training machine for me so I am less concerned about weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I am looking for a training bike. Something for gravel grinds. Here is the issue I'm seeing.. I have a 140mm HT Yelli Screamy that is sitting at 26.5#s.

What is the training advantage of the A3 Norco? I've never road biked or CX'd.. but I want something for training. The Norco A3 looks great and I figured it would make a great training rig as I can go hit my local singletrack too.

Is the weight of the Norco going to be an issue given how light my race rig is?

mtbr member

A road or CX bike is a great tool for training to supplement your racing plans. It's great for a few things...extra saddle time not having to drive to a location, pushing bigger gears than your MTB, and riding gravel roads that are less travelled by negligent drivers.

In respect to weight, you have to look at it as a training tool that you're pushing extra weight. I have a 22ish pound s-works epic and my Threshold is 2-3lbs heavier than that. Not to mention the 5-7 lbs of clothing I am wearing to ride it here through the winter in Canada.

Not sure what kind of Singletrack you're riding but my threshold is best reserved for gravel, some road, and rail trail.

mtbr member
    I would be grinding gravel and then riding relatively smooth singletrack mixed with roots.. I won't be bombing rock gardens by any means. I have a bike for that.

From a training standpoint are the bigger gears the thing that trains the body? I am looking for a bike that will allow me to maintain a fast paced ride while cranking those big gears.

mtbr member

Also. Does anyone know is the A3 has a tapered head tube??

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Also. Does anyone know is the A3 has a tapered head tube??
    It appears from the pictures on the Norco website that it is straight 1 1/8"

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    It appears from the pictures on the Norco website that it is straight 1 1/8"
    I was afraid so. I think the Jamis nova is my next bike then.

mtbr member

Why use a cross bike in the rooty trails if you have an MTB. I don't really get that approach, but that's your call. The bike can handle a little but if it but isn't design for repeated use in that regard.

Of course the bigger gears will help your training. It forces you to work harder and use more power rather than spinning in smaller gears. It's pretty straightforward stuff really. And you can cover so much terrain with the cross bike, gravel being one if the best options!

mtbr member

The trails I would hit would have an occasional root section but nothing nasty.

With the big rings I could shred the trails. They are pretty much glorified bike paths for 75%.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I test road the '13 Threshold A1 during the summer and it felt like a solid bike, albeit a little heavy. I never got to weigh it at the time, so it was just in comparison to the 22lb road bike I was riding at the time.

Norco's are awesome. On the west coast, the support is great and there are a ton of dealers around. One of my first mountain bikes was a Norco and I had it for about ten years before giving it to my nephew, who still rides it.

I think the '14 A1 paint job looks slick and the black on black is very stealth. One of the reasons why I don't like brands like Cannondale, who really plaster the bike with branding.

In the end, I chose to get a Felt F65X, but if my budget was in the 1600 range, I would have considered the A1 over the CAADX 105.

What did you end up getting?
    2014 Felt F65X

2013 Giant XTC Composite 1 - Stolen
    2012 Cannondale Synapse - Stolen

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hope this thread arrives on time!
    I've been riding the 2014 Norco Threshold A1 for the past 8 weeks, and I agree with mtbmeister is a bit heavier than expected , mine is nearly 10.2 Kgs inc. pedals, the bike riding position its really comfortable and the carbon blades take the vibration away [kinda].
    The 105 setup its really good apart from the non series chain, but this is an easy upgrade, the wheels feel a bit bulky, but you get over it quickly when you hit the trails, said that the gearing is great for cruising on the flat trails but once you hit a big slope its very heavy [no granny rings to help!]

I've got a couple of issues with the bike geometry as my big toe just overlaps the wheel and the chainstay clips my heel quite often. I'm 5'10 [1.78 ] and the best fit frame was the 54 [the 57 felt unreachable]

Not yer raced with it but fells race ready [weight apart]

Overall I'm quite happy with the bike

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by egabou View Post
    I test road the '13 Threshold A1 during the summer and it felt like a solid bike, albeit a little heavy. I never got to weigh it at the time, so it was just in comparison to the 22lb road bike I was riding at the time.

Norco's are awesome. On the west coast, the support is great and there are a ton of dealers around. One of my first mountain bikes was a Norco and I had it for about ten years before giving it to my nephew, who still rides it.

I think the '14 A1 paint job looks slick and the black on black is very stealth. One of the reasons why I don't like brands like Cannondale, who really plaster the bike with branding.

In the end, I chose to get a Felt F65X, but if my budget was in the 1600 range, I would have considered the A1 over the CAADX 105.

What did you end up getting?
    I'm going with transition's new rapture cx frame and hopefully a Shimano 105 build.

How heavy is that felt ?? I looked at them but there frames are usually considerably heavier than comparable frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Don't know if you got the Rapture yet, but I have the '14 Threshold A2 and like it a lot. I have only ever had a heavier XC mtb (GT Karakoram) and crappy walmart bike, so this CX bike is great to me. I do want to upgrade the wheels soon, as well as put some hy/rds on it, but that's about it for now. I've ridden it with road tires as well as on single track with the CX tires it came with. Rides well in both areas. I plan on doing some races next season and centuries on it. Should be a great bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the A1, 2013 edition with 105 and tapered headtube. I have taken it on some big rides on mountain bike trails and I have found it very rideable and comfortable. I was initially a little apprehensive on buying it as I had a road bike years ago and didn't like it, this however is a different ball game, very good to ride on the road, gravel and single trail. I have upgraded the brakes a couple of times, from BB7's to TRP hydro hybrids, the factory brakes the Hayes CX5s are rubbish, ok for the road but not for spirited stopping. The front tyre went for a Schwalbe Smart Sam in a 37mm and the rear a Schwalbe marathon plus for road and a lttle trail, it goes okay on the gravel too. Added more tape and a gel kit to the bars for more comfort and updated the stem, seatpost and added a Selle seat.

If I hadn't gotten this one it would have been the Focus Mares disc or Maybe the Colnago, but I prefer the industrial grade Norco, this ones a keeper, even with a couple of upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjose View Post
    I have the A1, 2013 edition with 105 and tapered headtube. I have taken it on some big rides on mountain bike trails and I have found it very rideable and comfortable. I was initially a little apprehensive on buying it as I had a road bike years ago and didn't like it, this however is a different ball game, very good to ride on the road, gravel and single trail. I have upgraded the brakes a couple of times, from BB7's to TRP hydro hybrids, the factory brakes the Hayes CX5s are rubbish, ok for the road but not for spirited stopping.

If I hadn't gotten this one it would have been the Focus Mares disc or Maybe the Colnago, but I prefer the industrial grade Norco, this ones a keeper, even with a couple of upgrades.
    What brakes did you end up with? I am looking at the TRP Hy/Rds for my A2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast