mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Any better options for my next Cyclocross bike? Advice please.

I need a new cyclocross bike (racing is the focus for this bike) and have a large REI dividend (REI credit card gave me about $650).

So, REI has a Marin Cortina T3 CX ($2499):

Marin Bikes | Bikes | Road Bikes | Cyclocross Bikes | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, and City/Commuter Bicycles | us

The specs look real nice and spot on for what I am looking for:
    full carbon, sram rival, disk, etc. Company puts it at 19 lbs.

With the 15% off for 2014 dividend and credit card, plus my $650 2013 dividend, it will cost me about $1475 out of pocket.

I don't think I can find a better deal for that price. Any other options I should consider. I want carbon, sram, and disks. I have mixed feelings about Marin, but my funds are limited to this price point. Geometry looks like a perfect fit based on my present bikes but I have not seen this bike or ridden it.

Thanks for any advice,
    Last edited by tominbend; 04-04-2014 at 02:41 PM.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tominbend View Post
    I need a new cyclocross bike (racing is the focus for this bike) and have a large REI dividend (REI credit card gave me about $650).

So, REI has a Marin Cortina T3 CX:

Marin Bikes | Bikes | Road Bikes | Cyclocross Bikes | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, and City/Commuter Bicycles | us

The specs look real nice and spot on for what I am looking for:
    full carbon, sram rival, disk, etc. Company puts it at 19 lbs.

With the 15% off for 2014 dividend and credit card, plus my $650 2013 dividend, it will cost me about $1475 out of pocket.

I don't think I can find a better deal for that price. Any other options I should consider. I want carbon, sram, and disks. I have mixed feelings about Marin, but my funds are limited to this price point. Geometry looks like a perfect fit based on my present bikes but I have not seen this bike or ridden it.

Thanks for any advice,
    doesn't REI carry cannondale now too? i'd see if you can order you up one of those maybe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    doesn't REI carry cannondale now too? i'd see if you can order you up one of those maybe.
    You can order Cannondale to select REI's (in my case the nearest one is 3 hours away). The problem is the Cannondale Super x with carbon and disk has an MSRP of $3250. There is a cantilever, carbon version for about $1000 less. I would prefer the Cannondale, but I am ready for disks. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If racing is the focus, I would look for something that doesn't cater to a "wide range of cycling".

I made that mistake with my first 'cross bike. I bought a Felt F75x - which was designed as an all round commute / gravel / cross bike. The longer wheelbase and relaxed geometry was easy to ride, but slow responsiveness annoyed me on race day.

I switched to a dedicated race bike and the difference is night and day. The Marin description comes off as all round bike - which could lead to some disappointment. I'm in Canada so I'm not familiar with what REI carries - but I would look for something racier - if that's going to be your focus - rather than a gravel grinder.

MTB NOLA
    Check out the Asylum Meuse... Asylum Cycles Meuse CX

I ride a Swarf
    Planet x slx are great value and with discs. I have the 105 version available here, but I believe there is a higher spec one for the US.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
    Planet x slx are great value and with discs. I have the 105 version available here, but I believe there is a higher spec one for the US.

Stu
    The Planet X does look intriguing. I will need to research it more; thanks for the suggestion. Do you like the bike? Any issues or concerns? How is the weight?

I ride a Swarf
    The Planet X does look intriguing. I will need to research it more; thanks for the suggestion. Do you like the bike? Any issues or concerns? How is the weight?
    I really like it, although it is my first cross bike (Mostly a mountain biker with some road biker tendencies (I have a planet x road bike, and had an on one il pompino before that too)). I have a slight issue with rear shifting I am working on, but I don't think that is a planet x issue. My medium size has some toe over lap, not sure if this is normal for cross bikes....all my road bikes have had it, might be my long toes combined with my preferred cleat position. Weight wise, I think its about 20lb, could easily drop weight on it later though, the wheels are fairly cheap 29er ones which work smoothly enough, but are probably quite heavy.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought a Planet X XLS in February. Sold it by March.

I was on a 54 and in toe overlap hell. I had 6+cm of overlap, making it very hard to take even small turns. I ended up with a broken wrist that has nearly put me out for the season.

Combined with appalling customer service (agreeing to exchange the frame for a larger one, or a refund, then just ignoring any emails and 'going dark'), I could never ever recommend Planet X.

Your mileage may vary, but for me it was an expensive painful disaster.
    2013 Trek Slash 7 (26)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    Yeah Marin sounds like poop.
    Also, if you're racing shouldn't you race like the pros? Then why are you getting discs?

I seriously need some lessons from my friend Nate who swears by Cantis (he has low profile Avids that he says stop on a dime with little to no chatter).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have Avid Ultimate Shorty cantis on my Cronus CX. No chatter, progressive and I *do* stop eventually. When used 'in a vacuum' I would say they are great. Then I ride my MTB with XT hydro disks and nearly put myself over the bars the first time I brake even lightly...

I am swapping the Canti's out for TRP 8.4CX mini-v's later in the week to see if I can improve performance, will post my findings - but I'd say not to let canti's put you off a bike if it is a good deal, their badness is often overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post
    Also, if you're racing shouldn't you race like the pros? Then why are you getting discs?

I seriously need some lessons from my friend Nate who swears by Cantis (he has low profile Avids that he says stop on a dime with little to no chatter).
    2013 Trek Slash 7 (26)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Well, I think a lot of the pros are starting to move over to disk for what its worth. Did you look at the Marin specs? What is the negative with the bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, I think a lot of the pros are starting to move over to disk for what its worth. Did you look at the Marin specs? What is the negative with the bike?
    Personally I like the look of the specs - a lot more than some of the other CX bikes I see around! SRAM Rival, rear X0 derailleur (I use the same to give a wider cassette range). I can't see anything that would put me off at all.
    2013 Trek Slash 7 (26)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    While not completely invalid yet, your argument is slowly moving out to other pastures since some of these guys are using discs.
    Mens Elite Race Edit - 2014 Cyclo Cross World Championships - YouTube
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yakkoTDI View Post
    While not completely invalid yet, your argument is slowly moving out to other pastures since some of these guys are using discs.
    Mens Elite Race Edit - 2014 Cyclo Cross World Championships - YouTube
    I mean, it was mostly tongue in cheek.
    I don't know the history of cross racing so much, but I do know that the grand tour gents are usually pretty traditionalist when it comes to set up. Hell cyclists originally feared indexed shifting because they thought the clicking might give away their shift.
    I just wish they were still traditionalists in smoking cigarettes, getting wasted, and having no support cars.

My no love for Marin is just that they seem cheaply built. I don't trust low grade aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I don't know the history of cross racing so much, but I do know that the grand tour gents are usually pretty traditionalist when it comes to set up. Hell cyclists originally feared indexed shifting because they thought the clicking might give away their shift.
    I just wish they were still traditionalists in smoking cigarettes, getting wasted, and having no support cars.

My no love for Marin is just that they seem cheaply built. I don't trust low grade aluminum.
    The Marin is now full Carbon. The Marin would not be my first choice, but the REI dividend is making me look at it as a viable choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Under $1500 for carbon & discs is a great deal. If your serious about racing skip the disc and the weight penalty of about a pound and a half. The pros get paid nicely to use discs, I do love them on my Ridley X-Fire. They are mantainance free compared to cantis especially after a muddy race.

mtbr member
    I don't really have a view about the bike, but seems like you can get a great deal on it. You should, however, do a bit of research on the brakes. Many of the TRP Spyre brakes have been recalled, starting last year and continuing into this year:

CPSC issues TRP brake recall | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was 99.9% sure you were not being serious.

I don't agree with the smoking but the getting wasted and no support cars I would love to see.
    Flotilla or Buffet.