mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Alternatives to Traitor Crusader?

I have been thinking about getting a SSCX bike lately. In looking at the various bikes on the market, I came across the All City Nature Boy Zona and the Traitor Crusader and I have been ogling both ever since.

The Crusader has a "new custom forged stainless steel dropout allows you to run a geared setup or singlespeed with a QR for ultra quick wheel changes if needed." The pictures on their website do not do a good job of showing how it works, but that kind of flexible set-up has a strong appeal to me. Are their any other bikes that can go back and forth?

(Yes, I understand that magic gearing can work on a vertical dropout bike, but that's not what I am looking for right now.)

Traitor:
    ::T R A I T O R C Y C L E S::

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GasX View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a SSCX bike lately. In looking at the various bikes on the market, I came across the All City Nature Boy Zona and the Traitor Crusader and I have been ogling both ever since.

The Crusader has a "new custom forged stainless steel dropout allows you to run a geared setup or singlespeed with a QR for ultra quick wheel changes if needed." The pictures on their website do not do a good job of showing how it works, but that kind of flexible set-up has a strong appeal to me. Are their any other bikes that can go back and forth?

(Yes, I understand that magic gearing can work on a vertical dropout bike, but that's not what I am looking for right now.)

Traitor:
    ::T R A I T O R C Y C L E S::
    not sure about other bikes with a similar setup, seems pretty awesome tho. but civilian bikes i think are somewhat easy to swap between and the bike itself looks pretty similar. these two bikes are what im deciding between

what the quan?!
    This is the bike (Crusade) i am lookin' at getting myself. Found it on a whim last year; then heard the 2013 was going to be disc only. Their FB page has the dropouts explained:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trait...628560?fref=ts

Can't wait till they post the price of a complete. Hopefully it will be around the same price as last years model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I spoke to them yesterday and they are only going to sell framesets at this time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Traitor Cycles Revamps the Crusade Disc

It's a swingarm style dropout. Meaning you will have to fiddle with it for every gear combo. they should provide two, swapout style, so the SSers can have their slotted and the geared folks can have their vertical drops. Anything else is a PITA. But the price is reasonable. It will be heavy though: 25 lb. or so. Steel f&f w/ discs = not light.

mtbr member
    The Traitor is nice for sure, but this is what I'm drooling over...

Ventana El Martillo CX with their swinger dropouts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have the canti-version of the Crusade, and its an awesome bike. Traitor has also been fantastic to deal with, so I can't say anything but good things about them. I am curious about the disk only version- there are some definite differences in the approach from the version I have, starting at the tubing. Mine is columbus tubing with track-end dropouts that have an integrated tensioner. Wheel changes are slower with this setup, but it has been bulletproof. The new setup is more a 'swinger' dropout and the head tube looks like it can take a tapered fork. Its also a few hundred cheaper than the old version. I would love to do a side-by-side old to new, because the old rides like a dream.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wow that Traitor looks great. If I hadn't just got such a good deal on a raleigh furley I would be really tempted by it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wow, just stumbled onto these bikes last weekend at a race. I'm looking at the crusade and it is winning me over. I wanted to buy a straggler but these traitor frames look saweet.