mtbr member

All City Macho Man Disc vs/or Surly Straggler

I am looking for a long distance, commuter, fun, comfortable,fast touringish bike. My daily commute is 18 miles one way (the short route). My last two bikes were Surlys (1x1 and now Troll) so I really like them and kind of want to stay with them but dont need to. I have read that the Straggler has "weird" geometry but I dont understand what that means really. I understand geo and the angels and lengths but how is the Staggler weird?

Here is the two bikes geo charts from their websitesAll City Macho Man Disc vs/or Surly Straggler-geo.png

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    To compare geometries, I always start by looking at the effective top tube length, but you have to adjust for seat tube angle, because you'll probably move your seat forward or back to have the same position relative to the bottom bracket in either case. Every extra degree of seat tube steepness translates to about 1cm that you'd move your saddle back. Given this, the 550mm top tube length on the 52cm Macho Man compares to about 540mm on the 52cm Straggler or 560mm on the 54cm Straggler. So it's somewhere between those two in terms of reach to the handlebars.

So far, that's just information. Nothing weird yet. The "problem" as I see it is that Surly is dedicated to having a level top tube on the Straggler (as on the Cross Check). The result is that the head tube ends up being short relative to the top tube.

The head tube length on the 52cm Macho Man is 130mm. The head tube length on the 52cm Straggler is 91mm. The Surly fork is 5mm longer, but that still leaves the bars about an inch and a half lower. That doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference because bike fit is such a precarious balance. The 54cm gets you a meager 16mm more bar height while moving the bars 20mm further out.

A lot of Cross Check/Straggler owners adjust for this by having a huge stack of spacers above the head tube. That works, but it amounts to an admission that the geometry was wrong to begin with.

The other way of looking at this is that the Cross Check/Straggler geometry is a lot more like a road bike than a CX bike. If you go through a comparison like the above with a road bike it won't seem nearly so off. So if you want road bike geometry, there's nothing at all wrong with it. On the other hand, if you want road bike geometry, you have to wonder why you're buying a cross bike.

If you're not doing any kind of off-road riding, the Straggler geometry might be OK (or even good). You say you're looking for a "long distance, commuter, fun, comfortable,fast touringish" bike. The Straggler geometry is consistent with "fun" and "fast". It kind of works against "comfortable" and "touringish" though you could make it such with the right setup. Whether or not it works for "long distance" and "commuter" are a matter of personal preferences.

The thing to do is ride them both and see which you like.

mtbr member
    And compare the reach. Weird.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a NB and love it. Haven't ridden a straggler so I'm no help there. I just did a 45 mile gravel ride on it and was very comfortable. I have to say I do like the higher head tube on the nature boy over my road bike, which has a lower stack height similar to the straggler.

mtbr member

All City Macho Man Disc vs/or Surly Straggler

Fwiw, no racks options on the MMD

mtbr member
    I dont want to lean over like im on a road bike, and I dont want to add a ridiculous amount of spacers. Sounds like the AC is winning.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Fwiw, no racks options on the MMD
    Good point, not a deal killer but I did miss that.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."