mtbr member

All City Macho Man Disc reviews?

I am interested in picking up a road/cross/gravel bike and the All City Macho Man Disc is tops on my list right now.

As it seems to be relatively new, there are few reviews on line. I was hoping some folks here might chime in with some thoughts on how it performs, value of the complete built, upgrades, etc.

Additionally, some advice on fitting might be helpful. I am 5'10" with a 30-31" inseam. I rode the 52 cm yesterday and it felt a bit cramped. For comparison, I rode a 55 cm Surly Straggler which felt a bit too stretched!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've never been on a Macho Man, but it's got similar geometry to the Nature Boy and I've heard very good things about those. I've never ridden a Nature Boy either, though, so I'm not really offering much help here.

The Macho Man will be a bit on the heavy side if you plan to do any racing, but that's really a minor issue I think. If you want steel and don't want to spend the bucks on really high end steel, the weight is what you get. I would expect it to come in around 25 pounds.

The parts on the complete build are mostly pretty good. The only thing that really jumps out at me as even mildly disappointing are the wheels. That same wheelset came stock on my 2013 Kona Jake. There's nothing wrong with them, but they aren't exciting. Again, the wheels are a bit heavy.

As for size, it's really hard to use the Straggler as a point of comparison because it has weird geometry. I'm 5'9' with about the same inseam as you, and I would definitely ride the 52cm Macho Man. If that felt too small to you, the 55 would probably be good. The Straggle doesn't come in 55, so you rode either a 54 or a 56. The 54cm Straggler has a slightly longer top tube than the 55cm Macho Man and a shorter head tube (which generally makes it "feel" longer). The 56cm Straggler has a considerably longer top tube than the 55cm Macho Man. I think you could definitely order a 55cm Macho Man with confidence that you could make it work.

If you around married to steel and have a Kona dealer in your area, check out Kona's Jake the Snake. It's slightly cheaper than the Macho Man complete and, to my eyes, better in every way (except maybe the color).

mtbr member
    I have a Nature Boy in a 58 and it fits me ok at 6'2" with 34" inseam. My 13 year old son rides it occasionally at about 5'10" with a 32-33" inseam.
    The straggler geometry is horrible to use as a standard for other bikes. My wife typically rides around a 50, but fits perfectly on a 42 straggler