mtbr member

Advice for my first CX race this weekend???

I've been reading a lot, but just figured I'd invite people to share some advice for a cyclocross noob (myself and anyone else looking).

What should i know that a lot of new CX'ers probably dont?

What do you (experienced CXers) wish someone would've told you before your first race?

Anything else?

mtbr member
    Practice cornering and braking on wet grass! On the first corner of my first practice lap for my first ever cx race, I slid on the wet grass and went flying. Then I thought to myself "hey, this is harder than it looks!"

Check out my thread about my first race, there's a lot of great advice posted in there.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Practice cornering and braking on wet grass! On the first corner of my first practice lap for my first ever cx race, I slid on the wet grass and went flying. Then I thought to myself "hey, this is harder than it looks!"
    x2 and practice going fast over wet grass. I did the exact same thing this weekend in my first cross race on the first lap. The race pace is so much faster than you think...adrenaline is a helluva drug.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    I've been reading a lot, but just figured I'd invite people to share some advice for a cyclocross noob (myself and anyone else looking).

What should i know that a lot of new CX'ers probably dont?

What do you (experienced CXers) wish someone would've told you before your first race?

Anything else?
    In my experience, the most time is gained/lost during the transitions. Learn how to keep as much speed/momentum throughout the dismount and again during the mount after your barrier runs. Having excellent familiarity with your pedals and where the cleat is exactly on the bottom of your shoe will prevent fumbling and slow remounts.

For weekday training: Intervals. A CX race is basically a 30-60min interval training session. If your cardio is ready, you can make up for poor finese.
    Hammerheadbikes.com