mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Adding 26" suspension fork to cyclocross bike

I am considering adding a 100mm 26" suspension fork to one of my cyclocross bikes (Lemond Poprad disc) and ditching my MTB. If the fork with wheel is about the same with the 26" suspension (uncompressed) as it is with the stock CX fork and 700c wheel; is there any reason not to go for it?

mtbr member
    Only one way to find out as far as I can tell. Numbers don't always describe feel. Try it. I've thought of this as well.

mtbr member
    is there any reason not to go for it?
    Absolutely my own opinion and nothing more, but...

1. The limiting factor for CX as MTB is tire volume not suspension. What's the fattest you can run out back?

2. You'll loose about an inch if you have the sag set normally so the head angle will go from steep to steeper and bb low to lower. How does it handle now and can you deal with more twitchiness and pedal strikes?

3. It'll look weird. Those bikes are so sweet as is, I just cant see sticking a suspension fork on there.

If you decide to do it please post pics and a ride report. I'd be interested to see if it works.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Downtube meet Mr. fork Crown.

mtbr member
    This would change the head tube angle in a bad way making it steeper, probably change the rake as well.
    Most mtn bikes are several degrees slacker in head tube angles. I anticpate handling will be poor. If you give it a go let us know what you experience

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not suggesting this as a solution, more of a point of interest, but about 15-18 years ago Rock Shox made a racing road bike suspension fork that won a bunch of the Paris-Roubaix races. It was specially designed for road bike frame geometry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    OK, thanks for the reality check - I will just use a fatter tire up front, but forego the suspension experiment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I did this with a med sized GT Agressor I'm able to run 42-45mm tire 1 1/5 inch. I had to get a 29r fork becuse the 26" fork wouldnt fit the larger wheel. it did make the head tube a little steeper but by 2or 3 degrees. Im running a husslefelt 30mm stem and 3degre flat bars, It handles well, real snapy, turns on a dime. Its an awesome crap weather bike, weights 23 and some change.like it better than road bike as I like to bomb pot holed filled streets, and cut threw parks n such. Suspension nice to have when pot holes full of water and your riding home after the bars close, takes the jar out of the bumps