mtbr member

42-44t 110 bcd chainring for 10 speed

I'm looking for a 42-44t 110 BCD chainring, and it seems like Salsa is one of the few companies producing one. However they say they are only compatible with 9 speed chains. I'm wondering if this is more for shifting performance or is the chainring thickness a problem period? I am running a 1x setup so shifting performance wouldn't be a concern, though I do need to use the ring with a 10 speed chain.

Any feedback / recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Salsa rings should work fine for a 1x setup but you should also take a look at cyclocrossworld.com for the Thorne 44 and 42 tooth rings.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I'm looking for a 42-44t 110 BCD chainring, and it seems like Salsa is one of the few companies producing one. However they say they are only compatible with 9 speed chains. I'm wondering if this is more for shifting performance or is the chainring thickness a problem period? I am running a 1x setup so shifting performance wouldn't be a concern, though I do need to use the ring with a 10 speed chain.

Any feedback / recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
    Surly also make one, also for a 1x9 setup.

Surly add this on the bottom of their chainring selections:
    Our 94bcd,104bcd and 110bcd x 34/35/36t chainrings are made with a 2.2-2.3mm thick stock plate and work best with 5-8 speed chains. Many folks are using these on 9 speed drivetrains but this can often results in a "tight fit" right out of the box (This will loosen up and shifting should improve after the chain breaks in). The 110bcd 38-50t and all 130bcd chainrings are machine finished to have a 2.1mm tooth thickness and thus work fine with 9spd chains.

I'd say like most things, it will probably work, but not as well as if you had a truly dedicated 10sp chainring. I thought FSA might have one since they usually make parts that are generally compatible with everything, but haven't been able to find one. I also get the feeling they'll only make 1/8" chainrings for 1xN setups...

mtbr member
    Thank guys - that Thorne ring looks like the ticket. Unfortunately I they only list 1x dedicated ring in 110 right now if I buy a kit that includes a chainguide / chaincatcher (neither of which I need) but I will email them to see if I can get just the ring.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.