mtbr member

35c tires on 13mm rims ok?

So the disc rims that are coming on a cross bike I recently ordered have a 18mm outer width and a 13mm inner width. The tires that come with the bike are 700x35c. The rims are lower end Vuelta XRP Pro.

Just from looking around at some rim manufacturer size charts, it seems that 35c is well above the recommended tire size for such skinny rims, the highest recommended size I've seen is 28c.

I'm not sure why they would do this, I'd guess because 35c is the minimum size cross tire you'd want to run offroad, and they got a great deal on the 13mm rims, so that is the end result.

Is anyone running this combo? If so what are you thoughts on the setup? I'm mostly concerned about how the handling will be affected on the trail.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You'll probably have to use more tire pressure than you'd choose otherwise.

If you look at the rim width vs. tire width charts for mountain bikes, you'll notice they tend to recommend a tire up to three times as wide as the rim.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Yea, I'm just not sure that the same holds true for road rims. I think the bead and bead grooves are bigger for MTB and likely hold the tire more securely, so you can get away with a larger variance in rim and tire widths without it being as noticeable.

From looking at the rim and tire charts for road bikes, 35c is not just a tiny bit larger but 25% over the recommended maximum for a 13mm rim.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think they're different.

But you know what they say about opinions.

If it bothers you so much, cancel the order.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

35c tires on 13mm rims ok?

Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus View Post
    So the disc rims that are coming on a cross bike I recently ordered have a 18mm outer width and a 13mm inner width. The tires that come with the bike are 700x35c. The rims are lower end Vuelta XRP Pro.

Just from looking around at some rim manufacturer size charts, it seems that 35c is well above the recommended tire size for such skinny rims, the highest recommended size I've seen is 28c.

I'm not sure why they would do this, I'd guess because 35c is the minimum size cross tire you'd want to run offroad, and they got a great deal on the 13mm rims, so that is the end result.

Is anyone running this combo? If so what are you thoughts on the setup? I'm mostly concerned about how the handling will be affected on the trail.
    I have run 52mm tires on and off road on that width rim with ZERO issues. None.

Traditional hook bead rim spec is the same for road and mtb rims.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have run 52mm tires on and off road on that width rim with ZERO issues. None.

Traditional hook bead rim spec is the same for road and mtb rims.
    Interesting, that's significantly larger than the rim width. It sounds like I may be making too much of the size charts, and it's probably not worth much concern. I'll plan on riding them for a while and see how they feel.

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My 2008 Kona Jake came with Alex AT-450 rims, which had about 13.5 mm inner width. I raced on 700x35 tires without any problems running as low as 30 psi, and I weigh around 200 pounds. I'm using wider rims now and I like them better, but the narrow rims worked.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses.

I just got the rims and noticed a 622-14 marking, so it seems these are actually a tad wider than I was told. Not by much, but it's a step in the right direction!