mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here. 24h vs 32h wheel choice for CX - Advice Needed

Hello everyone,

I have another thread in this forum right now regarding my working through the process of purchasing my first cross bike. It's located here:

Input welcome - Cannondale vs Raleigh vs Jamis

So, I've pretty much come down to the Raleigh Rx 2.0 or the Diamondback Haanjo. Component spec of the two is extremely similar. One major difference I note is that the Diamondback's wheelset is 24h and the Raleigh is 32h.

I'm 6'2" and about 205lbs, not geared up. Probably 215lbs when riding. Would a 24h wheelset be suitable for me? This bike will likely not see actual CX racing, but will see a lot of fire roads, gravel, light trails and some road time. My mountain bike will be handling all the harder stuff around me.

I know that at this price point neither wheelset would be considered spectacular, but I'm at the point of really trying to narrow down the choice to a clear 'winner' so I can move forward with purchase.

Other than the wheelset, the Raleigh has a 11t-28t cassette and the Diamondback has 11t-25t cassette. I'm curious how much I would need/miss the taller gears.

Once again, any input is welsome.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I chose to start a new thread about this because I felt it was a bit of a different subject from my other thread and might be useful information for others. Not trying to 'junk up' the forum with multiple threads.

mtbr member
    It's not possible to answer your question with the info you've given. Depending on the rims involved, the 24h wheel could be much stronger than the 32h wheel. Probably not, though.

Based on what you've told us, I'd say 1) the 32h wheel is probably stronger and better suited to your needs, and 2) don't obsess too much. Buy a bike and ride it. The rest will work itself out.

Oh, yeah... at your weight, unless you live in LA, you'll want the 11x28

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    It's not possible to answer your question with the info you've given. Depending on the rims involved, the 24h wheel could be much stronger than the 32h wheel. Probably not, though.

Based on what you've told us, I'd say 1) the 32h wheel is probably stronger and better suited to your needs, and 2) don't obsess too much. Buy a bike and ride it. The rest will work itself out.

Oh, yeah... at your weight, unless you live in LA, you'll want the 11x28
    Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah, the Diamondback uses an in-house brand (DB Equation) and the Raleigh uses a Weinmann Impulse rim which I can't find a lot of info on.

Don't worry, I'm not obsessing. I'm actually happy with how the process is going for me, especially since I can't really test out any bikes in my area...

Also, thanks for the input on the cassette. I was thinking along the same lines. I live in Florida where is is mostly flat, but there are some decently long extended grades on a lot of the routes I ride with my 26' bike that's been converted for street use. I agree that those extra teeth would be nice...

Thanks again-