Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?

2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-9658353711_c2c5b11c89_k.jpg

These are available now. Mine has about 300 miles on it to date, and it is all sorts of fun. We have urban singletrack around here (Des Moines) and endless gravel minutes from my door. I was looking for a disc CX bike under $2k to support my "ride anywhere" behavior (not advised on 23mm road tire), and the Raleigh makes me happy.

Anyone else have one of these?
    Last edited by fully; 09-17-2013 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been looking at getting a bike to get back into the hobby for the past few months and the new Raleigh RX 2 (2014) is on the top of my list followed by the Giant TCX SLR 2 (2014). Quick question if you don't mind, does the RX 2 have Rack Mounts?

mtbr member
    Rack/fender mounts, indeed.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome! Thanks =)!

PA Slayer
    Jun 2010
    I have a 2013 RX 1.0, same bike with slight differences and it is great. Wish I went for the 2.0 2014 though. Disc brakes just make me feel safer.

mtbr member
    What's the fattest tire you've fit to that frame? Looks like I'll have to stay under 40mm, but I haven't experimented yet...

Nor Cal
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fully View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9658353711_c2c5b11c89_k.jpg 
Views:	2596 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	829967

These are available now. Mine has about 300 miles on it to date, and it is all sorts of fun. We have urban singletrack around here (Des Moines) and endless gravel minutes from my door. I was looking for a disc CX bike under $2k to support my "ride anywhere" behavior (not advised on 23mm road tire), and the Raleigh makes me happy.

What isbthe weight of your bike and what size. I too am deciding on either the raleigh rx or giant tcx slr

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocache83 View Post
    What isbthe weight of your bike and what size. I too am deciding on either the raleigh rx or giant tcx slr
    When the shop assembled mine and moved the front brake to the right (motorcycle habits) they told me it was 21.6lb (without pedals, 58cm bike).

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fully View Post

How does it compare to the 2013? Raleigh said the 2014 has wider rims. Does it really make a difference?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    I'm most interested in mud/tire clearance - I sold off my 2013 RX2.0 since it couldn't fit anything wider than a 33mm tire. Does the 2014 fix that major issue? The ride was great and I was sad to see it go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's what I just picked up. Looked at the Raleighs as well, and decided to go with the RXC Disc. I modified it quite a bit to lighten it up, so I switched out of all the Shimano 105 for SRAM Red and swapped the Gossamers with my Hollowgram SiSl. The bike is now just a hair over 16 lbs. So far, loving the squish of the 700x33s. I'll give a full report once I've ridden a few hundred miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-img_0496.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've only run the stock 33s so far, but there's room for much more... maybe up to 40s if they are low profile? Looking for others to share their experience on this...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am running clement las 700x33 and there is not a lot of room on the sides down by the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Great looking bike! I was looking at those online a few weeks ago and I really like them. Makes me think about maybe selling the Ridley.
    '15 Charge Cooker Maxi 2
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride
    '11 Santa Cruz Driver 8

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I actually checked the specs on the Ridley and the Raleigh and I really liked the shorter wheelbase of the Raleigh. I also found the Ridley sizing strange as I normally ride a 56, and would have had to go with a 52 since the Ridleys are "pursuit" style. The Raleigh fits just like my Colnago. I changed the Hayes CX5 to the TRP HYRD, the internal cable routing was a bit of a gong show, but it is all done.

So far, the bike rides as good as it looks. Not too twitchy, and the fatter tires definitely are a bonus. Not sure when I'll ride the Colnago again, but so far I'm really enjoying the ride of the Raleigh. You will not be disappointed.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colnago888 View Post
    ...I changed the Hayes CX5 to the TRP HYRD, the internal cable routing was a bit of a gong show, but it is all done.
    Any chance you could post some photos showing the TRP HYRD brakes mounted. I am thinking about purchasing this bike and wondering how those brakes look when mounted. Are the brakes calipers large and bulky with the reservoirs built in to the calipers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The TRP HYRD is definitely bigger than your average SRAM XX or Shimano XTR hydros but if you don't want to fork out the bucks for the SRAM Red Hydro (a little over $750), the TRPs are around $250 or so and they are literally plug and play. I do have to caution you that on the Raleigh RXC, the rear cable has a weird kink so you may have some modulation issues. I would recommend a VERY good compression-less cable casing such as Jagwire or NOKON. I would stay away from cheap imitation as your brake modulation in the rear will suffer. The internal cable routing is also a gong show, so you may have to fiddle around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-img_0508.jpg  

2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-img_0510.jpg  

2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-img_0511.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Have you decided between the TCX & Raleigh....I am looking at those two as well. both look like awesome bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bump.....

I'm really thinking of purchasing the Raleigh 2014 RX 2.0, any new updates on your purchase now that you have some miles on the bike? I will be using it for a do everything bike, from club road rides, crappy weather bike (just got caught in the rain in the Oakland Hills and not happy with cantilever brakes anymore) and some nice dirt trails in the area.

Thanks, Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Raleigh RX 2

Hi mike: I wasn't sure if you were speaking to me. If so, please confirm and I'll respond accordingly. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeeder View Post
    Bump.....

I'm really thinking of purchasing the Raleigh 2014 RX 2.0, any new updates on your purchase now that you have some miles on the bike? I will be using it for a do everything bike, from club road rides, crappy weather bike (just got caught in the rain in the Oakland Hills and not happy with cantilever brakes anymore) and some nice dirt trails in the area.

Thanks, Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by colnago888 View Post
    Hi mike: I wasn't sure if you were speaking to me. If so, please confirm and I'll respond accordingly. Thanks.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I went and looked at a two bikes today that were on my short list the Raleigh RX 2 and the Cannondale CAADX 105 disc. The Raleigh hands down just looked better, paint (beautiful, pictures do not do it justice), wheel set, haye's calipers. The Cannondale look fantastic on the web, but up close, I was disappointed. The fork had the old school 1 1/8 steerer, which it most likely wouldn't make a difference in the riding I do, but still, it was a negative. The wheel set hubs looks so-so (cheap), as were the brake caliper's, I was not impressed, the brake feel at the levers, felt mushy. but the Cannondale is $150 dollars less and with REI, I get another 10 percent dividend. So bummed about the Cannondale, I went home to think about it. I also had a few bikes that I had been watching on ebay. As it worked out, I placed a bid on a 2014 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 that had 200 miles on it and won. So I am going to be a new owner the Carbon Fiber Fuji Altamire CX 1.3 for just a few dollars more than what the Raleigh RX 2 would cost out the door. 2 pounds lighter, slightly better ride due to the carbon frame. I hope I will be happy. From what I have researched on the Fuji Altamire 1.3, I will.

Thanks, Mike

mtbr member
    Enjoy your Fuji, Mike.

For the record, my RX 2 is quite broken in now; it's getting about 100 miles of gravel a week. Today's ride was primarily singletrack and pavement. I'd list toe overlap and brake performance as the only negatives so far. Still very happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    What is the fattest tire u can run on RX 2.0?

mtbr member
    I'm looking at getting 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0 this fall. Any updates from previous owners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a 2011 RX1 (rim brakes, higher bottom bracket, similar otherwise), and would not hesitate to buy another one of these bikes. I love this bike and ride it everywhere over everything. The updates they've made from my RX to the present one make sense and would only add to the ride.

I can fit WTB Nano's (advertised at 40mm, measure out to 38mm) in mine, btw... It gets really tight at the chainstays though.

mtbr member
    Any good tires choices if i dont like stock versions? As this my first drop handlebar road bike purchase.

mtbr member
    **Update** I just put down payment on 62cm 2015 RX 2.0

After test riding few similar spec'd bikes in the parking lot I felt nervous compared to my mt the road. I will change the tires to clement USH 700x35 and possibly changing the saddle to fizik airone. Does anyone have tips for a new roadie to help with my confidence?

mtbr member
    Congrats!

What exactly did you feel nervous about?

Thinking back to when I got my first road (cx) bike, I was nervous about the handling and braking. After a few rides I became comfortable and confident on the bike.

All it will take is some saddle time. After a while you'll be able to corner faster than you thought possible, and will realize those skinny tires/wheels aren't as fragile as you think.

I have 25c road tires on my cross bike, and even with those on I still treat it like a MTB - I hop curbs, bunny hop, take it on gravel and dirt.

I'm actually at the point now where I feel more at home on my road bike than my MTB.

Last week I did a cross race on the saturday, switched the tires, then the next day ran a gran fondo on it (104miles). I also did a 75 miler the weekend before.

Probably the biggest thing you need to learn/remember is to be cognizant of traffic, and kind of keep your head on a swivel for cars when on the road. Always be ride defensive, and never assume they see you or will let you go. I've found a lot of drivers will try to cut you off or beat you through the intersection, I think because a lot of drivers don't realize how fast a cyclist can move.
    '15 Charge Cooker Maxi 2
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride
    '11 Santa Cruz Driver 8

mtbr member
    My lbs called today my bike is in!! woohoo!! I think its narrowness of bars that makes me nervous. Plus i join my local road cycling club.

mtbr member
    I finally picked it up

tomorrow i will take off the reflectors

I have ride this seat few more times. First impressions is its super hard and not comfortable.

mtbr member
    Looks good. Enjoy.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Man I really like that bike. Raleigh supposedly changed the geometry over the previous years. Let us know how you like it. Good luck
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Did my second ride and still getting accustom to riding drop bar bike. I rode over section of my local rail trail gravel and felt faster over HT. I am still trying get the happy medium on psi for my taste.

mtbr member
    Climbing on this beast was awesome over my HT. As I could have rode faster over my one hills segment due my uneasiness in drops. The bike does have holes where u can add fenders.

mtbr member
    I got some of these for my CX

Salsa Cowbell 2 cyclocross road bars 31 8mm OS

I got the 46 wide ones, love the shape. They have 12-degree of outward flare and shallow drops. Gives me much more confidence down in the drops.

mtbr member
    I am going try stock handlebars for awhile. Today I put on my cheap kendra 700x28c blue tire for my indoor trainer. While I was taking rear wheel off i found "Racing Stripes are Earned" just above front derailleur and facing the rear tire.

mtbr member
    I had my first hiccup on changing to larger chain ring with FD. I hope I can fix it myself or I will make trip to lbs for its free tuneup.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    The issue of FD fixed and back on my trainer. I have been doing few interval training youtube videos to work on fitness.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post
    I got some of these for my CX

Salsa Cowbell 2 cyclocross road bars 31 8mm OS

I got the 46 wide ones, love the shape. They have 12-degree of outward flare and shallow drops. Gives me much more confidence down in the drops.
    I don't understand why more mfrs don't offer drop bars w/ the outward flare- it makes them SO much more comfortable!
    I've got a set on my CX bike and another on one of my road bikes. (I wish there was a carbon version, for my inner weight weenie, lol)

mtbr member
    2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-tm1.jpg

My bike in trainer mode. I cant wait to get fitted next month to change the stock saddle.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you have done nothing but ride MT bike your whole life, the lack of confidence may come from the skinny tires.

Years ago I built my first roadbike. a '99 or '00 trek team postal edition. I do remember setting off on that thing and being slightly nervous. It seemed like those skinny tires were going to slip right out from under me.

Stay with it and ride a familiar path that you know. Pretty soon it will be second nature and you may want to use that sucker for its intended purpose.

I have raced MTB, Road, Track but cyclocross racing is what I love. I have NEVER had more fun then at a CX Race. The worst CX race was better than the best cross country mt bike race. And road racing? That is just stressful. Riding around in tight pelotons with a bunch of amatures. Glad those days are over.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    BTW- I have not had a chance to check out a Raleigh yet but they look sweet. I have noticed a few locals racing them.

I kinda have a soft spot for them...one of my favorite bike was a CF Raleigh mountain bike. It was my first exposure to a carbon frame and I loved that bike. Too bad it got stolen.

mtbr member
    Thanks for tips, Ruffn. I had good bike mechanic class yesterday dealing with drivetrain. I adjust my shifting to be silky smooth to my liking. I also realize I need shift from smaller chain ring to larger chain ring aggressively due learning from riding new bike.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    Tomorrow is the day to take off trainer tire for USH 700x35c. As I'm looking to ride 15 miles. I can't wait to tackle some small hills.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-gravel-selfie.jpg2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-fikeshot-gravel.jpg

This bike really flys on gravel. I believe more confidence in my road handling skills I will get faster. Loving the new bike still.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    I just bought off eBay a bontrager affinity rl saddle to replace the stock saddle. I hope it is as comfy as i have been reading.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    Over the weekend I rode it in my first group ride and my longest ride to date 30 miles. This bike really does fly on road or gravel. I still working on my descents but climbing is more enjoyable. I have my USH tires about 60 psi front and 65 psi rear for road and about 10 psi less for gravel riding.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    I had to replace pf30 bottom bracket due it creaking. The lbs also greased the headset and tighten the brake pull on both hoods. I currently have over 500 miles of mix roads. i also have done few rides of 40-60 miles without any major issues. This bike is just getting faster as I build more confidence. The bike is definitely a head turner from people in my local club or random people giving me thumbs up.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    This month I have put on 1,000 miles since last Dec. This bike is everything I asked for and it delivers. I have becoming a lot faster on group rides and able set paceline. This bike performs great on my local rail trail light gravel. I still would like swap out stock saddle for better saddle. The Clement X'plor USH tires are great all around tire for mix riding I do and still look good after 1k miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-first-1-000-miles.jpg  

2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

mtbr member
    Over the weekend i did my 3rd metric century with this bike. It was by far the hottest ride I did over long distance. The ride was Tour de Paws in Decatur, IL. the route was mix of hills, bike trail, few busy roads, and few gravel sections. I finished in 4:40:02 at avg. speed of 13.6 with 1,500 ft of climbing. Today I was feeling feverish from being in the heat and still drinking a lot of water. I do love my bike but the saddle.
    2003 Raleigh M40 HT

2015 Raleigh RX 2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast