Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?

2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-9658353711_c2c5b11c89_k.jpg

These are available now. Mine has about 300 miles on it to date, and it is all sorts of fun. We have urban singletrack around here (Des Moines) and endless gravel minutes from my door. I was looking for a disc CX bike under $2k to support my "ride anywhere" behavior (not advised on 23mm road tire), and the Raleigh makes me happy.

Anyone else have one of these?
    Last edited by fully; 09-17-2013 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been looking at getting a bike to get back into the hobby for the past few months and the new Raleigh RX 2 (2014) is on the top of my list followed by the Giant TCX SLR 2 (2014). Quick question if you don't mind, does the RX 2 have Rack Mounts?

mtbr member
    Rack/fender mounts, indeed.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome! Thanks =)!

PA Slayer
    Jun 2010
    I have a 2013 RX 1.0, same bike with slight differences and it is great. Wish I went for the 2.0 2014 though. Disc brakes just make me feel safer.

mtbr member
    What's the fattest tire you've fit to that frame? Looks like I'll have to stay under 40mm, but I haven't experimented yet...

Nor Cal
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fully View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9658353711_c2c5b11c89_k.jpg 
Views:	1166 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	829967

These are available now. Mine has about 300 miles on it to date, and it is all sorts of fun. We have urban singletrack around here (Des Moines) and endless gravel minutes from my door. I was looking for a disc CX bike under $2k to support my "ride anywhere" behavior (not advised on 23mm road tire), and the Raleigh makes me happy.

What isbthe weight of your bike and what size. I too am deciding on either the raleigh rx or giant tcx slr

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocache83 View Post
    What isbthe weight of your bike and what size. I too am deciding on either the raleigh rx or giant tcx slr
    When the shop assembled mine and moved the front brake to the right (motorcycle habits) they told me it was 21.6lb (without pedals, 58cm bike).

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fully View Post

How does it compare to the 2013? Raleigh said the 2014 has wider rims. Does it really make a difference?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    I'm most interested in mud/tire clearance - I sold off my 2013 RX2.0 since it couldn't fit anything wider than a 33mm tire. Does the 2014 fix that major issue? The ride was great and I was sad to see it go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's what I just picked up. Looked at the Raleighs as well, and decided to go with the RXC Disc. I modified it quite a bit to lighten it up, so I switched out of all the Shimano 105 for SRAM Red and swapped the Gossamers with my Hollowgram SiSl. The bike is now just a hair over 16 lbs. So far, loving the squish of the 700x33s. I'll give a full report once I've ridden a few hundred miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-img_0496.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've only run the stock 33s so far, but there's room for much more... maybe up to 40s if they are low profile? Looking for others to share their experience on this...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am running clement las 700x33 and there is not a lot of room on the sides down by the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Great looking bike! I was looking at those online a few weeks ago and I really like them. Makes me think about maybe selling the Ridley.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I actually checked the specs on the Ridley and the Raleigh and I really liked the shorter wheelbase of the Raleigh. I also found the Ridley sizing strange as I normally ride a 56, and would have had to go with a 52 since the Ridleys are "pursuit" style. The Raleigh fits just like my Colnago. I changed the Hayes CX5 to the TRP HYRD, the internal cable routing was a bit of a gong show, but it is all done.

So far, the bike rides as good as it looks. Not too twitchy, and the fatter tires definitely are a bonus. Not sure when I'll ride the Colnago again, but so far I'm really enjoying the ride of the Raleigh. You will not be disappointed.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colnago888 View Post
    ...I changed the Hayes CX5 to the TRP HYRD, the internal cable routing was a bit of a gong show, but it is all done.
    Any chance you could post some photos showing the TRP HYRD brakes mounted. I am thinking about purchasing this bike and wondering how those brakes look when mounted. Are the brakes calipers large and bulky with the reservoirs built in to the calipers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The TRP HYRD is definitely bigger than your average SRAM XX or Shimano XTR hydros but if you don't want to fork out the bucks for the SRAM Red Hydro (a little over $750), the TRPs are around $250 or so and they are literally plug and play. I do have to caution you that on the Raleigh RXC, the rear cable has a weird kink so you may have some modulation issues. I would recommend a VERY good compression-less cable casing such as Jagwire or NOKON. I would stay away from cheap imitation as your brake modulation in the rear will suffer. The internal cable routing is also a gong show, so you may have to fiddle around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-img_0508.jpg  

2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-img_0510.jpg  

2014 Raleigh RX 2, anyone?-img_0511.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Have you decided between the TCX & Raleigh....I am looking at those two as well. both look like awesome bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Bump.....

I'm really thinking of purchasing the Raleigh 2014 RX 2.0, any new updates on your purchase now that you have some miles on the bike? I will be using it for a do everything bike, from club road rides, crappy weather bike (just got caught in the rain in the Oakland Hills and not happy with cantilever brakes anymore) and some nice dirt trails in the area.

Thanks, Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Raleigh RX 2

Hi mike: I wasn't sure if you were speaking to me. If so, please confirm and I'll respond accordingly. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeeder View Post
    Bump.....

I'm really thinking of purchasing the Raleigh 2014 RX 2.0, any new updates on your purchase now that you have some miles on the bike? I will be using it for a do everything bike, from club road rides, crappy weather bike (just got caught in the rain in the Oakland Hills and not happy with cantilever brakes anymore) and some nice dirt trails in the area.

Thanks, Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by colnago888 View Post
    Hi mike: I wasn't sure if you were speaking to me. If so, please confirm and I'll respond accordingly. Thanks.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I went and looked at a two bikes today that were on my short list the Raleigh RX 2 and the Cannondale CAADX 105 disc. The Raleigh hands down just looked better, paint (beautiful, pictures do not do it justice), wheel set, haye's calipers. The Cannondale look fantastic on the web, but up close, I was disappointed. The fork had the old school 1 1/8 steerer, which it most likely wouldn't make a difference in the riding I do, but still, it was a negative. The wheel set hubs looks so-so (cheap), as were the brake caliper's, I was not impressed, the brake feel at the levers, felt mushy. but the Cannondale is $150 dollars less and with REI, I get another 10 percent dividend. So bummed about the Cannondale, I went home to think about it. I also had a few bikes that I had been watching on ebay. As it worked out, I placed a bid on a 2014 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 that had 200 miles on it and won. So I am going to be a new owner the Carbon Fiber Fuji Altamire CX 1.3 for just a few dollars more than what the Raleigh RX 2 would cost out the door. 2 pounds lighter, slightly better ride due to the carbon frame. I hope I will be happy. From what I have researched on the Fuji Altamire 1.3, I will.

Thanks, Mike

mtbr member
    Enjoy your Fuji, Mike.

For the record, my RX 2 is quite broken in now; it's getting about 100 miles of gravel a week. Today's ride was primarily singletrack and pavement. I'd list toe overlap and brake performance as the only negatives so far. Still very happy with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What is the fattest tire u can run on RX 2.0?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm looking at getting 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0 this fall. Any updates from previous owners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a 2011 RX1 (rim brakes, higher bottom bracket, similar otherwise), and would not hesitate to buy another one of these bikes. I love this bike and ride it everywhere over everything. The updates they've made from my RX to the present one make sense and would only add to the ride.

I can fit WTB Nano's (advertised at 40mm, measure out to 38mm) in mine, btw... It gets really tight at the chainstays though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast