mtbr member

2013 Scattante Americano CX Singlespeed Cyclocross Bike? Thoughts?

2013 Scattante Americano CX Singlespeed Cyclocross Bike

I came across this a few days ago while on Performance bike. It looks interesting to me, since I'm in the market for a SSCX bike. I called and got further info, that the bike ways a little under 24lbs and the rear spacing is 135mm.

My issues are with the weight and the 165mm cranks. How heavy is too heavy for a beginning SSCX bike?

TXTony
    I think weight is one of those things that boils down to personal preference. If you are not racing it then maybe 24 pounds is acceptable.

That seems a little hefty for a SS. In comparison my Aluminum cross bike weighs about 21 pounds with a 10 speed drive train. Cranks and such can be changed. But who really wants to change something like a crank right off.

If you already are having some issues with some things about the bike I think I would continue searching other options. I am not into single speeds but there should be some good info and knowledgeable people on the forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You get what you pay for. Heavy wheels, stem, bars, seatpost, and pedals. There's the easy weight savings, but at the cost of price. Which would you prefer? Light or cheap? You could always check out the Civilian SSCX at Backcountry.com if you want a lighter bike for a little more cash.

Civilian Bicycle Co. Le Roi Le Veut | Backcountry.com
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Scattante Americano CX Singlespeed Cyclocross Bike? Thoughts?

Trust me...I understand that you get what you pay for. I was more or less throwing it out there since its a new model and to see what people prefer weight wise on sscx and components.

I just built a 22lbs rigid frame with suspended front 29er. So, I do understand weight.

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Scattante Americano CX Singlespeed Cyclocross Bike? Thoughts?

I think it looks pretty decent but personally would look to ditch 165mm crank right off. DC19 id an adequate rim to get you going but its the next place I'd look to upgrade. Then brakes I guess.

Hard to race a cromoly frame (it can be done but stiff alu or carbon chainstays are a godsend on cross bikes) but I bet its great on fire roads and singletrack.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It would probably make a better city bike than it would a cross bike.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Cable routing doesn't look very shoulder friendly, but most people won't use this as a dedicated race bike. Not a huge fan of EBB's, but they do have positive attributes. Seems like a solid bike for the money. I'd check them out.