Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 CAADX Disc

mtbr member

2013 CAADX Disc

Haven't seen anyone on the forum with one yet, so I thought I would post mine.
    61cm frame, only changes so far are SL-K stem and Specialized Romin saddle. As it sits now, 21.15lbs. PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like everything about it except the brakes. Gotta go!

mtbr member
    Website shows brakes as "CANNONDALE MB700T DISC". What are these? How you like em?

mtbr member
    In house brakes I guess. So far they have done a great job stopping the bike. Took it on a few miles of single track today and had no problems.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Surprised I haven't heard more about them with all the disk brake buzz in the cx world.

Sweet bike by the way. You've still got another month to get a race in!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm also a fan of the Romin saddle: I can handle the bumps better w the cutout.
    DSC04359
    DSC04357

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    When are they going to release their Trebon sized bike?

29ers Forever
    Do you prefer pull brakes or disk brakes for CX bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Do you prefer pull brakes or disk brakes for CX bikes?
    The discs are a big improvement. Good braking in all conditions ( I haven't been in deep mud yet). Just have to watch brake fade in long descents (rotor can overheat). Been thinking about getting these: Found: Kettle Cycles’ 40g SICCC Carbon Ceramic Disc Brake Rotors! - Bike Rumor. Not for the weight savings, but they dissipate heat so well that brake fade would never be a problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Very nice ride!

How does the 61cm fit you? I heard you should generally go a size smaller for a cx bike. I'm 6'2'' and will be going with the 58cm I think - 34.5'' inseam and proportional torso. I'll be using mine primarily for commuting and maybe a cx race here and there. Placing the order tomorrow! Only thing I'm not sure about is 58cm or 61cm, but feel the 58cm is the way to go.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    You might be waiting a while. Last I had checked, Cannondale doesn't expect to have 58cm bikes until Feb.

mtbr member
    I would say that a 58 would be a better fit for you. The 61 fits me great, but I have a 36.5 inseam. I also ride a 60 or 61 size road bike. I don't think that sizing down is necessarily a requirement. Go with what feels comfortable and controllable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Shipping for my 58cm is scheduled 2/7 from Cannondale HQ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So how are you guys liking this bike? It looks like a pretty nice bike for the price.

I'm generally not a fan of aluminum bikes, but some friends tell me that the new Cannondales ride really nice.

The disc brakes look a little cheesy (like they have a lot of plastic parts), and I've read mixed reviews. How are they working for you guys? I think I'd prefer some Avid BB7's or Shimano CX-75's.

I was considering a Soma Double Cross frame, which is pretty cheap, but by the time I got it built up I'd be spending quite a bit. I can get a great deal on the CAADX disc, so I'm thinking this might be the better way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Good job! loving it

I've got about 130 miles on it so far mainly commuting to work on the Madison bike trails. I put a pair of Kendal Klondike studded tires on for dealing with the snow and ice. I've taken it through a couple snow storms already and is very sure footed. When going through some deep stuff the front end is very predictable so i've avoided any wipeouts cause i sense when the bike is starting to slip up front and can adjust position and/or speed. The handling is awesome and also looks amazing.

The power transfer of the geometry is just awesome. Super effecient pedaling and very comfortable ride. I can easily pop up the front wheel so its almost like a mountain for hopping over curbs and stuff. I haven't tried to bunny hop it yet but I'm sure i could in a pinch. I also threw on a rear fender and rack and usually have panniers going to work. I've loaded it down with a max of about 40 pounds in the panniers once and it didn't slow me down much and really help with the traction.

The brakes definitely needed some time for the pads to seat with the discs but they are getting better every day. Since I'm on bike trails mainly and its pretty icy/snowy I haven't needed or wanted to ever really hammer on the brakes. But they are getting better and better. No gripes with them. If they are wet, they will squeak sometimes if they are wet but it goes away after a couple times using them.

Super happy with this bike so far as my daily commuter. Can't wait to take it on some single track and maybe even do my first cycle cross race this year. I'm going to upgrade the saddle and throw some egg beaters on there once the snow melts (using plain jane platforms right now). Once i put some clipless pedals on i'm sure the effeciency of pedaling will be even better.

Super fun bike. Great handling. Stable at high and low speeds. Stopping power is getting better ever day. And it looks really nice!

I've dropped it a couple times in the garage and driveway and do notice that the paint on the frame can scratch or rub off pretty easily so be careful with that. But a black sharpie can hide the dingers pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Sick bike. Enjoy it, if and when I can persuade my wife to let me get another bike it will be a CX bike. I am a big guy and I do not see someone my size on a "rode" bike. I am on a 23" Carve with a 38" inseam. I guess that would be like a 56cm or 58cm sized bike.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got the 58cm CADDX and I have a 34.5" inseam. I think the 61cm would probably fit you better.

Good luck with the wife! I work at Pacific Cycle, part of Dorel like Cannondale, so i get 1/2 off pricing so it definitely helped convinced the wife.

Maybe if you biked to work you could justify the cost? Bike commuting easily saves $20 + a day (assuming 40 mile round trip @ $0.56/mile) multiplied by 5 working days you would have this bike paid off in just 22 weeks : ) haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YKNOT View Post
    I got the 58cm CADDX and I have a 34.5" inseam. I think the 61cm would probably fit you better.

Good luck with the wife! I work at Pacific Cycle, part of Dorel like Cannondale, so i get 1/2 off pricing so it definitely helped convinced the wife.

Maybe if you biked to work you could justify the cost? Bike commuting easily saves $20 + a day (assuming 40 mile round trip @ $0.56/mile) multiplied by 5 working days you would have this bike paid off in just 22 weeks : ) haha
    I am biking to work, I am about 6 miles each way. I ave about 180 - 200 miles a month when it is warm. Last few months I have been in the low 100's per month. I have an alt route that will bring my commute to 9 miles. Since I am on a 29 lbs Mtn bike it burns some energy. I have a few guys at work that have road bikes that pass me coming into work (tonight) and kid me about it. I am looking at this;

Specialized Bicycle Components

But with such a short ride to work I am not sure it would be worth it.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's a pretty sweet Specialized CX bike. Love the blacked out color scheme too. Priced right too. I like those "dual' brake levers. Cool idea though I'm usually not gripping to the front of the hood.

I like the idea of a do-it-all style bike, which is why i went with a CX. Compared to my 26" MTN bike the CADDX seems almost twice as efficient. I've yet to ride a 29er but got one i just need to throw a tranny on.

Can't wait to ditch the studded tires - that alone is really gonna speed it up! Once I get back from China hopefully the thaw will be on and can put the sammy slicks on.

Here's a half way decent pic of my 58cm.

2013 CAADX Disc-20130225_143536-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice color scheme.

mtbr member
    That bike looks great. I am not sure about sizing, 23" ~58cm but you thought that 61cm or so would be better. I need to look into that. Enjoy the new ride. I am getting tired of being passed by roadies.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey. Thanks for the CAADX info--very helpful. I'm a mountain biker who's getting into some long-distance road & gravel riding, and just ordered a 61 CAADX from my small LBS. No chance of a test ride, so I'm just fishing for info from others who are my size in case I need to change the order (it's a month away from arrival). I'm almost 6'3" with a 34.5" inseam, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the bike sizing--do you feel like the 58cm was just the right size or could you go bigger like you were initially thinking? I know every bike/body is different, but since we have the same inseam, it's a good starting point. If it helps, I'm more interested in long haul rough rides than CX races. Any input would be great. Thanks gang!

mtbr member
    i am 6'2 with a 34 inseam and i feel just fine on a 56, so 58 will work great for you.

LOVE this bike, i have the 2012 model with canti brakes. the geometry is just perfect for me. i even have a set of road wheels/tires and slap them on when i want to ride pavement.

it's a great commuter, the SAVE system seems to make a good difference soaking up the road bumps

also, the upright geometry helps out a lot on long rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the input--really looking forward to it. I'll post again about fit/inseam issue once I settle on a size and let the rubber hit the road....

Teen Wolf
    very nice bike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast