mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2012 Ridley X-Fire or 2014 Jake the snake

My LBS has both bikes on sale for the same price. Wondering if a guy should get the carbon ridley with regular brakes and wait till the disc brakes get better (more like my MTB brakes), or get the aluminum bike with discs.

I'm going to be using the bike as my grinder/cross race bike.

thanks for the input

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    I just bought a specialized Crux with Mini-V Brakes. Even I race and ride in Vancouver, Canada, I am not going to go with Disc Brakes just yet. The weight is a concern of mine and I never had an issue when racing. But if you are riding longer distance in foul weather, with occasional long downhill, disc brakes will be a good choice.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I can't speak for either bike, as I have not ridden either of them. However, I do have a 2013 Ridley X-Ride (with canti's), and absolutely love it! I can only imagine that the X-Fire would ride just as good, if not better.

Note: Ridley sizing is a little different than other manufacturers. I am 5'10' with a 32" inseam, and typically ride a 56cm in other CX bikes and road bikes. However with Ridley, I ride a 54cm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you know how much the 2014 Jake weighs in Size 56 ? I have an older 56cm JTS but to be honest I wish I went for the 54. I ride a 56 road bike but Jake felt a little big.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A point that is often overlooked is rider size. I am 6'4" and 210lbs and am really happy on my disc brake gravel grinder. I race on a canti carbon bike, but long descents on gravel are much more confidence inspiring when I have stronger brakes. I get a lot of momentum going downhill and the cantis (Avid Ultimates) would slow me down, but the discs will stop me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd go with the Ridley, weight has got to be a lot lower, those 2014 JtS's felt pretty heavy in the shop. Carbon should give you a bit of a smoother ride, which is nice as a lot of our cross courses get pretty bumpy in spots. While I think discs are definitely the way forward, I don't think the cable variety are that great. Once hydro discs have taken over then pretty much every advantage will be with discs, other than weight.

I'm going on season 10 this year on my canti equipped JtS and the ONLY time I recall wishing for more/better brakes was at the provincial race last year in the snow. JT's disc brakes gave him quite the advantage.

Again, I'd go Ridley, if it fits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for all the replies... it's pretty flat where I live so going down long descents are not an issue for me.

So far the bike fits, needs some tweaking but I think it will work.

Thanks again... will post a pic with what I decide with.