Did I catch a niner?

2010 Jamis Nova Race

It's not actually the bike I am concerned about but the shifters. So I got the tiagra brifters a 105 front and a Tiagra rear. What I am curious about is if the rear is a "GS" or a "SS" I can see nothing on the body to indicate this. The brifters are dual control so they work with a triple which is not what I want to do with it anyways.

Thanks!
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Shimano has 3 different rear derailleur cage length designations.
    SS is the shortest -spec'ed on road bikes with 2 front rings.
    GS is the mid length - "long" for road, "short" for mountain
    SGS is the long cage - spec'ed on mountain bikes with three chainrings and a wide-ratio cassette.
    Quick way to figure it out is that if your mountain derailleur looks like a road (in terms of cage length: distance between the pulleys) it's the GS. If your Road derailleur looks like a mountain (again in terms of cage length), it's a GS. If it looks like a regular road, it's a SS.

mtbr member

Re: 2010 Jamis Nova Race

Looking at their docs it seems like there is a difference in the shape of the inner plate (look at the position of the small lobe sticking out near the top)

I think the SS are spec'd for a maximum 27t cog size, and I've killed the springs on a 105-ss in fairly short order using that size. Considering that factory gear is usually overbuilt I suspect that they wouldn't build with a ss and a 26 tooth cassette.
    Last edited by AlexCuse; 02-08-2013 at 04:14 AM.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Did I catch a niner?
    Thanks for the info guys, I ended up picking up a XTR m960 for $20 locally so I will see what I will do with the Tiagra maybe use it on my commuter as a chain tensioner for a while

The m960 is a long cage so it is hard to compare with the Tiagra, plus it feels MUCH lighter then the Tiagra anyways.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1