mtbr member
    Nov 2009

2006 tricross for cx racing

my buddy did some races last year and it looked like fun so I wanted to give it a try this year. I have enough money in other bikes and don't really want to spend a ton of money on a bike I will probably only be racing 8-10 times a year. outside of that I don't think I would ride it much but who knows.

it seems tricross bikes can be had for a pretty good price. but I have a couple questions about them.

are they cx worthy?

what is the tire clearance front and rear? from what I see tires are around 35c wide. I just want to make sure that tires would fit.

is there any other reason that I shouldn't try to get one. there is one used for sale around me for 500 which I thought was pretty good.

my other option was maybe building one but I can see that getting pretty expensive. I have a extra set of mtn wheels I could use which can also be run tubeless, but other than that I would need to buy pretty much everything. from what I was looking at I would probably be close to 2000 when I would be done with it. that is assuming I use one of those Chinese carbon frames or maybe the on one dirty disco frame.

thanks,
    adam

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    my other option was maybe building one but I can see that getting pretty expensive. I have a extra set of mtn wheels I could use which can also be run tubeless, but other than that I would need to buy pretty much everything. from what I was looking at I would probably be close to 2000 when I would be done with it. that is assuming I use one of those Chinese carbon frames or maybe the on one dirty disco frame.

thanks,
    adam
    If you are willing to spend $2000 building a bike why not just get something like a Kona Jake the Snake? Fully built and can be had for less money. I got mine for $1500 new. There are many other options in that price range as well.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I probably didn't explain myself on the last part very well. I was saying it would costs 2000 in the sense that it would be way to much money for me to spend. I agree at that point I mine as well just buy a bike already done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The question I'd have is whether or not you intend to win. Not that a Tricross would keep you from winning if you otherwise have the ability to do so, but if you're the sort of person who has intentions of success then you'd likely be unhappy with the Tricross sooner or later (and probably sooner).

On the other hand, if you just want to race for the fun of it, the Tricross is perfectly fine. The only requirement for a CX bike to race for fun is that it be something you're willing to race on. I see people in the beginner class with everything from full suspension mountain bikes to vintage sport touring bikes (the latter of which is generally better suited to CX, BTW).

As a beginner, you aren't likely to find the Tricross doing anything to get in your way. It's heavier than most CX race bikes, the geometry is bit more relaxed and the stock gearing is probably a bit less than ideal. None of that will make it miserable to race on. If you try CX and get hooked you can get something better and probably sell the Tricross for close to what you buy it for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I don't intend to go out there and dominate at all. 40 minutes al out efforts are pretty much the weakest point of my fitness. I do pretty well in cat 2 races and do a fair bit better the closer they get to the 2 hour mark. my results improve even more when I do endurance races.

the tricross I was looking at sold. I was going to check it out this weekend since I needed extra time to drive down to where it was which ended up on me missing out on the bike.

what kind of bike would be a solid cx performer that wouldn't needed to be traded in once I find out if I like it or not?

I do like the idea of a tricross because they are cheap so I can resell it for close to the same I bought it for like you said.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I guess it depends on what you could get the '06 Tricross for. (And while you're at it, check out CL for other used CX in that range).
    They're not a bad bike at all. Nowdays the Tricross is more of a hybrid, but back then it was a bit more legit.
    35mm is a moderately large CX tire- most are 33-34.
    Not sure I'd want the carbon seatpost, but it's debatable.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Don't overworry it. The biggest thing to look for is a road bike with clearance for 34 mm tires. Or whatever you want to use - bigger ones are getting a little traction lately, and there are some good arguments for using them as long as you're not in one of the very few events where UCI's maximum width applies.

After that, non-sucky brakes, a double (not a triple) crank and at least Tiagra drivetrain.

If you work your way up into Cat. 3, spend $1500 or so on whatever bike your team has a hookup on. It'll probably be about a $2500 bike.

Not that you can't find those same bikes reselling for that price. But you really don't need it (I don't believe 3s need them either, frankly) and you can probably get most of your money back out of a used bike, unless you trash it while you have it. Which is likely, if you're using it for 'cross, but at least you didn't trash something as expensive.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    AndrwSwitch is exactly right.

Don't obsess about the gear. Get something that works good enough, fits well, and go! The equipment requirements will vary a bit depending on your location.

If you are doing the sport right, you'll probably do some damage to the bike anyway. So, keep it cheap and work on that power!