mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2005 Mountain Cycle Stumptown CX

My next ride: 2005 Mountain Cycle Stumptown CX build

trying to decide on discs or canti's for this "classic". It has my 60cm top-tube dimension, which for CX bikes is hard to find.

Bought this frame/fork (shipped out of state) from Sellwood, who I highly recommend!

Sellwood Cycle Repair - Sellwood Cycle Repair
    7953 SE 13th Ave
    Portland, OR 97202
    shop@sellwoodcycle.com
    (503)233-9392
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2005 Mountain Cycle Stumptown CX-99517.jpg  

2005 Mountain Cycle Stumptown CX-99517a-e1362941550287.jpg  

2005 Mountain Cycle Stumptown CX-99517b-e1362941596454.jpg  

2005 Mountain Cycle Stumptown CX-2005-mc-geo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Some really nice details on that frame, Dumb and Dumber - i like it a lot [HD] - YouTube

As for the discs vs cantilevers discussion, I suppose that depends on how and where you ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks- I will likely go with TRP EuroX canti's for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdog View Post
    Some really nice details on that frame, Dumb and Dumber - i like it a lot [HD] - YouTube

As for the discs vs cantilevers discussion, I suppose that depends on how and where you ride.

mtbr member
    If you're not happy with whatever brakes you buy I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to Kool Stop salmons. I believe that almost any brake will give good results if you use the right pads and have a decent mechanic set them up. If you're not going to race/ride in mud I'd buy mini v's (TRP, Paul's) with Kool Stop pads and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    If you're not happy with whatever brakes you buy I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to Kool Stop salmons. I believe that almost any brake will give good results if you use the right pads and have a decent mechanic set them up. If you're not going to race/ride in mud I'd buy mini v's (TRP, Paul's) with Kool Stop pads and be done with it.
    I couldn't agree more. I have loved the Salmon pads ever since my road days, and I have recently added them to my cross bike. Completely changed the braking performance.

mtbr member
    If you opt for rim brakes, I'd highly recommend mini-v's. I recently installed a set of Tektro RX5's on my mtb=>dropbar conversion with Sora brifters. The brake arms are 85mm long, vs the 100-110mm typically used on standard v-brakes, which work well with road brake levers, i.e. firm, able to lock up, good modulation, etc ...

Plenty of clearance left (7mm) above my 38mm Conti SportContacts, too.

Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The "Softail 2" rear stays are supposedly designed to be horizontally rigid but vertically compliant. Local, small Portland company that is now owned by an Asian manuf. - Specialized killed them off with a lawsuit saying the "Stumptown" (a PDX nickname) was too close to "Stumpjumper" so they had to discontinue it.

BikePortland.org Blog Archive Local layoffs at Mountain Cycle, Specialized settlement progresses

That thing looks like it would ride like a truck, as in a full-size Dodge Ram truck. I don't make recommendations to people re the disc/canti drama (but I do ride discs myself).