Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

1x10 option for SSCX bike on gravel rides. Zee?

Hi,

Been racing my Crux disc (Iron Cross, Hylex hydraulic brakes) with a 42x18 setup. Love this setup for CX but want to extend season for some longer hillier gravel rides. Want to try a 1x10 and keep using my SRAM red crank and FSA 42T ring (or look at other brand rings). Also would like to use a clutch type RD and use a 11-36 cassette. Thought about a 11-42 (OneUp) but thinking now I'll have enough range since this is a gravel bike after-all not an MTB climber. I need it to be reasonably easy/clean to unbolt ready for next cross season.

Since I have the dedicated SS hydraulic brakes I can't do STI - but since I won't be flat out racing this setup I am thinking of using a separate shifter like Pauls thumbies or Kelly Take-offs but they all need road spec (namely Shimano) down-tube stuff that is not compatible with dyna-sys 10spd mountain. SRAM has no down-tube shifters. Seems like rather than getting tricky with things (mixing 9 and 10spd) I could just get a Zee shifter on the tops and a Zee RD and be done. I'd run a cable with outer the whole way (my frame does not have any option to run without).

Does this sound reasonable/do-able? It's definitely a cheap way to go and I hear good things about the Zees. Probably would need a front chain guide too to be safe. I've got regular dropouts and hanger on my frame. I hope the Zee RD would bolt up OK.

jrm
    mtbr member
    A barcon shifter set to friction mounted on a pauls thumbie or a single friction shifter should work fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Retroshift is coming out with a Hylex version of their system soon that basically mounts a bar end shifter to the brake lever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I do like the look of the retroshift but it won't work for me if I want a clutch RD. The retroshift only takes shimano down-tube shifters which are for the road so the pull is wrong for shimano MTB RDs. Same with indexed bar cons. I know I could go friction but I would like to stay with indexed. Plus the retroshift is a complete Hylex ($160) + the worked brake lever and shifter so quite a bit more money than a $40 Zee shifter.

The only problem I see is mounting the smaller diameter MTB shifter on the bar. In fact I have the flattened FSA wing bars so I'll be fabricating something myself.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Im using a 105 STI shifters with a 952 XTR RD & 663 SLX FD and it works great combined with TRB discs.

I am using a set of Retroshift levers for a 1x10 setup on my Salsa Vaya commuter. I'm using a 9spd SLX med cage RD with an 11-36 10spd XT cassette. No problems with chain drop of any sort on it. 9spd mtb and 10spd Shimano road use the same shift lever pull.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah - its wanting a clutch RD that is the tough part - they only come in dyna-sys 10spd (or SRAM). I admit when the gears are on this bike it'll be more trial riding than cross racing or DH trails but switching to a Type 2 on my MTB was so nice.

I did find the mod below which is a way to achieve the dyna-sys pull from road shifters. I also checked out JTek Shiftmate but there's nothing there for dyna-sys conversion.

Retroshift to DynaSys - RetroShift to DynaSys XTR Hack Kayak Scott's Daily Adventure

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That mod would work on bar-end or downtube shifters. A bit cludgy, but cool at the same time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Interestingly, my order of the Zee shifter just got delayed by over two weeks with the option to cancel... which I took. I think it's a sign and that I need to try a better option!!!

The Zee RD arrives tomorrow. Thinking of trying the dura-ace down-tube mod and using a Kelly take-off or trying to buy just the annodized bushing from retroshift to mount to my existing lever. Not really sure what state Kelly Bike is in right now. Might be easier to do Thumbies. At least I can get the 1-1/4" clamp for my bar.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive used both and i'd recommend the IRD hinged thumbie.

Human Test Subject
    I run 1x9 on my moonlander without a clutch RD. Just get a Wolftooth Components or other N/W chainring. 32T front and 11-34 cassette got me through a 50 mile gravel race last year.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Why not just run a Sram barend and rear derailer?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well TBH much that I love my SRAM road gruppo on the MTB I prefer Shimano. I love the Zee RD size - perfect for a 1x10 I think. Will be tougher and much more out of the way than a med-cage X9. I'd consider if SRAM did a bar end with indexed sweep instead of single click center return plus was cheaper especially since I'd need to buy a XX derailleur for it to be compatible with their road stuff.

I was looking at some German adapters for the XT and XTR rear shifters and noticed you can remove the bar clamp and use theirs. I am hoping I can do that on my Zee shifter. I bought a $18 black hinged 1-1/4" P-clamp from Kuryakyn and will fabricate an attachment.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    You can use a tt500 or tt900 with any of Sram's 10 speed MTB stuff and they have an indexed sweep.

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/produ...0-aero-shifter

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I thought the MTB only was compatible with the XX 10spd stuff but it seems it's just like Shimano in that a 9spd RD works with their 10spd shifter. Thanks for that!

Found this video showing it as a 10spd sweep on a 10speed cassette and X.9 RD.
    SRAM TT 500 shifters with Paul Thumbies on FSR Camber Comp - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Since I received my Zee shifter and a 1-1/4" moto clamp I made this for the moment since it cost me nothing but some time on the welder and drill press.

1x10 option for SSCX bike on gravel rides. Zee?-20140222_103737_resized.jpg

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Not that you need it but here is farther proof. TT500 with a X7 rear derailer.

Novara Randonee Bike - 2014 at REI.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yup! (Funnily in the picture on REI it shows a XT RD!). If I ever want to race geared I might switch to SRAM and try to fit the TT500 to a retroshift. Or by then perhaps SRAM will have sorted out the S700 brake/shifter which might work with my caliper.

Would've finished this build today but could not find any decent shift housing so have to order 30M of yokozuna but all the places selling it are east coast (i.e. more than a week away).

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by warx View Post
    Yup! (Funnily in the picture on REI it shows a XT RD!).
    Looks like it says X7 to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Right again - my old eyes I guess. Should've seen the SRAM stripes.

Whats with all the companies using 'X's - need some brand differentiation....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Final pic of completed conversion. The Zee is nice and compact and should stay out of trouble.

The conversion process back-n-forth should only take 10 mins.
    1. detach chain
    2. remove wheel - change cassette to surly cog
    3. remove RD
    4. cable-tie RD cable to seat stay.
    5. attach 8spd short chain

1x10 option for SSCX bike on gravel rides. Zee?-crux_geared.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just keeping this thread up-to-date.

Now SRAM has released a Type 2 (clutch) derailleur called CX1 that is road shifter compatible. It's 11 speed force level. Says its not compatible with the MTB 11spd stuff BTW. Also interesting is the crank is 110bcd but has a wide range of rings (all wide-narrow of course).

First Look, First Ride: SRAM?s Force CX1 Single Chainring Cyclocross 1x Drivetrain | Cyclocross Magazine ? Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi guys, trying to do exact same thing on my SSCX.

Fact is, I'd like to have something like this but maybe with thumb-shifters: any idea on 31.8 clamps apart from the costy Paul's ones?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    After reading the thread above, I figured out it's not possible to have clutch type RD with they're shifters...

The setup I was looking for was a set of 1x10 cxH (trp) paired with a 11/36 xt cassette and a XTR shadow plus RD. My question is, if the only issue is the pull, wouldn't it be solved with the 11spd shimano compatible shifter they now offer!?

I wanna run a wolftooth chainring and the clutch would really come in hand...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The new CX1 RD has a clutch and is road 11spd SRAM pull so would work with the Force or Rival hydraulic levers. Trouble is just the single right lever is like $435 and the RD is $235. I also don't know if that means you'd need to change the rear caliper to a SRAM road disc (from TRP Hylex) or if hydraulic is hydraulic (assuming piston size/volume and leverage is at least similar and does not bottom out).

Anyways today I modified my MTB shifter mount. Pics attached. Can shift from the hoods now (and no money spent!)

1x10 option for SSCX bike on gravel rides. Zee?-20140819_160844.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast