mtbr member
    Nov 2013

1x10 with MTB style shifter ?

Looking to do a Cyclocross build with a China eBay special. I'm looking to put together a city commuter type bike with a set of riser bars and possibly do a 1x10 speed like my mtb. Wanted to know if it is possible to use a mtb style trigger shifter on a road bike style rear derailleur ? I would like to just do a sniglespeed but I am going the cheap way with the eBay frame which doesn't have the correct drop outs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    10 speed Shimano has different pull ratios for mountain and road. Your options are to go to sram, use a Shimano shifter and derailleur that are both either road or mountain, or drop to a 9 speed mountain shifter. The pull ratios of Shimano road rear shifter/derailleurs are the same for 8 through 10 speeds, and Shimano 8 and 9 speed mountain are also the same.
    Alternately, you could go single speed with a magic gear and perhaps a half link, depending on the cogs you already have.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    10 speed Shimano has different pull ratios for mountain and road. Your options are to go to sram, use a Shimano shifter and derailleur that are both either road or mountain, or drop to a 9 speed mountain shifter. The pull ratios of Shimano road rear shifter/derailleurs are the same for 8 through 10 speeds, and Shimano 8 and 9 speed mountain are also the same.
    Alternately, you could go single speed with a magic gear and perhaps a half link, depending on the cogs you already have.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

So I can get a Shimano 9-speed mtb shifter and use it with a 9-speed shimano roadie rear derailleur ? Basically ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    heck, you can usually find the mtb mid-cage type 2 derailleurs pretty cheap (new/used) on ebay as most seem to want the long cage. no real "need" to go 9 speed (although that might be cheaper).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by YeA SpeciAlized View Post
    So I can get a Shimano 9-speed mtb shifter and use it with a 9-speed shimano roadie rear derailleur ? Basically ?
    No, Shimano road/mtb shifters and derailleurs are not compatible. You could do it with SRAM components though.

EDIT: I missed the 9-speed part. Yes, you can do this with 9-speed Shimano parts.
    Last edited by spsoon; 05-08-2014 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    No, Shimano road/mtb shifters and derailleurs are not compatible. You could do it with SRAM components though.
    One guy says Shimano only another says SRAm only.. Can somone post up a roadie derailleur and mtb shifter combo that would work ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Post #2 has all the info, it's just confusing. Read carefully

If you want 10 speed, road derailleur, and mtb shifter, you need SRAM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Shimano 9-speed MTB shifters were compatible with Shimano road derailleurs. All Shimano 9- and 10-speed road shifters (except some older Dura-Ace) are compatible with 9-speed Shimano MTB shifters. However, 10-speed Shimano MTB Shifters are not compatible with any Shimano road derailleur.

If your eBay frame has a BB30 or PF30 bottom bracket you could still go the single speed route with an eccentric bottom bracket adapter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    Shimano 9-speed MTB shifters were compatible with Shimano road derailleurs. All Shimano 9- and 10-speed road shifters (except some older Dura-Ace) are compatible with 9-speed Shimano MTB shifters. However, 10-speed Shimano MTB Shifters are not compatible with any Shimano road derailleur.

If your eBay frame has a BB30 or PF30 bottom bracket you could still go the single speed route with an eccentric bottom bracket adapter.
    You have one thing backwards: the Shimano road shifters are compatible with the older mtb derailleurs, except none of the newer shifters with hidden cables are compatible with any mtb derailleurs, and none of the road shifters are compatible with 10 sp mtb derailleurs. You can pair a 7800 DA shifter with a pre-DynaSys derailleur for a 10 sp setup. Very common among the gravel grinder or drop bar mtb crowds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    except none of the newer shifters with hidden cables are compatible with any mtb derailleurs
    Not sure I see what you mean here. The pull ratio works for 9-speed Shimano MTB derailleurs. With shadow derailleurs you need an inline barrel adjuster somewhere to be able to set the cable tension, but that can be done, and non-shadow derailleurs have a built-in adjuster. Am I missing something.

Incidentally, when I said "All Shimano 9- and 10-speed road shifters (except some older Dura-Ace) are compatible with 9-speed Shimano MTB shifters," what I meant to say was "All Shimano 9- and 10-speed road shifters (except some older Dura-Ace) are compatible with 9-speed Shimano MTB derailleurs." I guess it amounts to the same thing though.

mtbr member
    Not sure I see what you mean here. The pull ratio works for 9-speed Shimano MTB derailleurs. With shadow derailleurs you need an inline barrel adjuster somewhere to be able to set the cable tension, but that can be done, and non-shadow derailleurs have a built-in adjuster. Am I missing something.

Incidentally, when I said "All Shimano 9- and 10-speed road shifters (except some older Dura-Ace) are compatible with 9-speed Shimano MTB shifters," what I meant to say was "All Shimano 9- and 10-speed road shifters (except some older Dura-Ace) are compatible with 9-speed Shimano MTB derailleurs." I guess it amounts to the same thing though.
    the point is, is that is not true that all Shimano 9- and 10-speed road shifters will work with 9 sp Shimano derailleurs (I knew you meant derailleurs). None of the shifters with hidden cables (7900, 6700, and whatever the nomenclature for the 105 equivelant is) will not work with the 9 speed derailleurs. The 7800 DA (10 speed with exposed cables) will work. If there was an equivelant Ultegra 10 speed shifter with exposed cables, it too will work. Shimano changed the cable pull ratio on the newer hidden-cable shifters and their respective derailleurs such that it won't work with the older derailleurs. For the newer shifters, the amount of cable pulled per click is different from the older shifters, and therefore the amount of movement at the derailleur is different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    This is categorically not true. Any Shimano road shifter with exposed derailleur cables will work with any pre-DynaSys (IOW, pre-10speed) mtb derailleur and any Shimano 7-8-9 speed shifter will work with any of the road derailleurs that were designed to work with exposed-cable shifters. The pull ratio was consistent across road and mtb up until the development of the DynaSys mtb components and the "hidden-cable" road components. I, and many other gravel grinders, have used 7800 10sp DuraAce shifters with 9sp XT derailleurs with great success, for example.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Shimano changed the cable pull ratio on the newer hidden-cable shifters and their respective derailleurs such that it won't work with the older derailleurs.
    I'm pretty certain that's not true. They changed the brake cable pull for those levers, but the shift cable pull is the same. Otherwise, you couldn't (for example) use a 6700 rear derailleur with a 6600 shifter, and I know for a fact that you can. I've done it.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty certain that's not true. They changed the brake cable pull for those levers, but the shift cable pull is the same. Otherwise, you couldn't (for example) use a 6700 rear derailleur with a 6600 shifter, and I know for a fact that you can. I've done it.
    I've never tried what you're talking about, and if you say it works, I believe you. Shimano says it won't work, but that's probably just marketing BS.

The DynaSys stuff won't work with any of the road stuff, but any of the 9 sp mtb shifters will work with the 7800/6600 or earlier road derailleurs, which goes to the original question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is categorically not true. Any Shimano road shifter with exposed derailleur cables will work with any pre-DynaSys (IOW, pre-10speed) mtb derailleur and any Shimano 7-8-9 speed shifter will work with any of the road derailleurs that were designed to work with exposed-cable shifters. The pull ratio was consistent across road and mtb up until the development of the DynaSys mtb components and the "hidden-cable" road components. I, and many other gravel grinders, have used 7800 10sp DuraAce shifters with 9sp XT derailleurs with great success, for example.
    I know that pre-10 speed will work but the OP was specifically asking about 10 speed mtb shifters, so I was trying to avoid further confusion. And now I see that he said 9-speed in the subsequent post. So fail on my part