Cross Noob
    Apr 2012

1x10 Cross Bike Rear Derailleur

Will a SRAM X.9 (short cage) work with a 1x10 setup? The front chainring is a 42t, rear cassette is 11-36. I've got a X.9 long cage, but it tends to pick up grass and the shifting doesn't work that well. I've got a SRAM force (road), but it only goes up to 28t, and the arm can't physically fit under the largest 2 cogs on my 11-36 casette. Any help is appreciated.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yep!

Cable pull is essentially the same with srams road and mountain. I run a XX shifter and Force derailleur with no problems.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Cross Noob
    Apr 2012
    I guess I was worried more about the ability to handle a cage of that size (11-36) rather than cable pull.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I believe that derailleur is designed for a 36 tooth max like the rest of SRAMs mtb lineup. Except for xx1.

Short cage will be fine for a 1x
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You need a long or medium cage for anything over 28t in the back. I believe that for mountain SRAM only has long and medium, though. So it should work

Cross Noob
    Apr 2012
    I appreciate the replies Sheepo5669 and vincacinz.

vincavinz: I know that 28t is the max for SRAM road short cage. However, SRAM does make a short cage for mountain as well.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that the casette size itself doesn't matter for SRAM mountain, it's a function of the relative size of the min and max cassettes and the front chainring (unless you have 1 in the front, in which case it doesn't factor in).

I've got a 1x10 with an 11-36 on the back and a 42 on the front.

(Big Ring Small ring) + (Big cog Small cog) = Capacity

(42-42) + (36 - 11) = 25t

Short=30t, Medium=37t, Long=43t

So based on that I think the short will work. But I'm looking for confirmation.

The Brutally Handsome
    I've been running a Force short cage with a 32t no prob.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I found a short cage Rival rear derailleur to be fiddly with a 11-32 rear cassette, but the mid-cage Rival worked perfectly. I should note that my "shop skillz" are pedestrian at best.

If you're willing to run a smaller front ring then you can get away with an 11-28 rear which alleviates the need for a different derailleur. I have found in cross racing that the lowest gear is far more necessary than the biggest gear. The only place where that is an issue (for me) is trying to ride fast on the road. And I have a road bike for that.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Your right - they do have a a short cage - guess I should have double checked

They list the capacity for all X9 RD's at 36t so yes, you should be good since your within the capacity (which is probably conservative).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I run a SRAM X0 short cage with with a 36t rear and XX shifter with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you can run a 36 in the back, I recommend a 42 in the front for versatility. Also, unsolicited advice - skip the fiddling and just go with the MRP 1.x. It isn't the cheapest solution out there but it is the best functional. I tried multiple approaches and found the greatest suggest with this. Especially after :shimming" the rear with bits of spent tube to avoid rubbing in the "1" or the "10". It's nominally advantageous to not have to worry about shifting the front.

You're not helping yourself in terms of making your CX bike a versatile machine, but probably helping yourself if your primary focus is racing. I also strongly recommend the Thorne-branded single-ring dedicated front rings. They are not ramped or pinned, and purpose-designed and built for running a 1 by x system. Stu Thorne has mad CX credentials and carefully thought-out and designed these products.