mtbr member

130mm disc hub options

Last week I ordered a Civilian Vive Le Roi. Overall a very nice looking package but I'm concerned about the wheelset longevity since it seems the hubs don't get the greatest of reviews online. Granted I was planning on building a second wheelset anyways, but this just expedites my search for parts for a wheel build.

I'm really not too thrilled about the available 130mm disc hubs out (although perhaps I can be talked into thinking otherwise). On top of that I am a HUGE fan of the Hope hub on the back of my Monocog both for longevity and ease of service...so I would really like to have one of these on the rear of my cx. I already confirmed with Hope there is no road disc hub available and I can't reduce the 135mm Pro2 down to 130mm like it seems you can do with other hubs on the market.

Given the frame material I know I can squeeze the mtn bike hub in there, but would doing this cause any issues with longevity of the frame or hub?
    Signature

Bro Mountainbiker
    Shouldnt cause any issues as long is that frame is steel. I wouldnt try it with aluminum or carbon.

I know Novatec makes a 130 disc hub. But I dont know about higher quality options.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    White Industries makes a MI6 130mm disc version

check this
    White Industries Debuts 130 Disc Hub for Cyclocross, Road - Bike Rumor
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

mtbr member
    Mmmmm...that WI hub certainly is pretty. Also found Velocity makes a 130mm disc hub for under $200.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    also have a look for Bontrager SSR road disc wheels available in 130mm disc version.

You can afford a wheelset also directly to Volagi, they sell their OEM wheels designed for their original frame which requires 130mm disc hubs
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Also found Velocity makes a 130mm disc hub for under $200.
    I have a Velocity 130mm rear disc hub that's catching dust in my garage, in great shape and doubt I'll ever use it again. It came stock on my old Redline crosser, I ran the rear wheel for maybe 3 years before I switched to another and the bike saw part time use with my other bikes so not a lot of mileage on it. Anyways PM me if your interested, will sell it cheap.

BTW, I cracked that Redline frame running a 135 mtb rear wheel in it, it was aluminum tho

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    you can change out the end caps on both King and DT hubs for maybe $20 and with most cx frames you won't need to worry about having a shorter axle. I built up two sets of wheels the past two years (Major Toms w/ CK and Hed C2 w/ DT 240s) and have run them on my Blue Norcross ex and Ridley x-fire having only changed the end caps. I can probably track down part #'s if needed.

--edit: fwiw, I went this route because I will already have the parts needed for 135mm spacing if/when a new standard comes out so I'll just need the wheels re-dished.

mtbr member
    Lots to think about. The bike gets here sometime next week and I'll measure the spacing when it gets here. Guessing it won't be exactly 130mm anyways (cheap Chinese steel never is it seems).
    Signature