mtbr member

130 BCD Close Ratio Chainrings - Wickwerks And?

I'm planning to do at least one mixed terrain century on my cross bike this year, and thinking I could benefit from switching it back to a 2x setup. Right now I'm running 1x10 with a 39. I was hoping to get something like a 38/44, but the more I think about the WickWerks 38/46 the more I think thats a better choice. But they sure are pricey.

I'd like to stay with a matched set if possible, the 39 I have now was probably an OEM ring (bought the crank used) and its definitely showing some wear. But boy are they expensive - I think I could get some 9 speed tiagra shifters for less than that, throw a mountain derailleur I have on and move to a wider range 1x9. I could probably find a 110mm crank with the rings I need for that kind of coin too.

Are there any alternatives out there to the wickwerks rings for 130mm cranks? And if not, or you've used the wickwerks, are they as nice as the internet makes them sound?
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse

I'd like to stay with a matched set if possible
    Why?? No advantage especially that close in teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse
    Are there any alternatives out there to the wickwerks rings for 130mm cranks? And if not, or you've used the wickwerks, are they as nice as the internet makes them sound?
    Yes, dozens.
    Pick up any pair of plain jane flat 'rings in your choice of sizes and call it a day.
    Vuelta, Sugino, Blackspire, Salsa, etc. should run you $50-60 total.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Why?? No advantage especially that close in teeth.

Yes, dozens.
    Pick up any pair of plain jane flat 'rings in your choice of sizes and call it a day.
    Vuelta, Sugino, Blackspire, Salsa, etc. should run you $50-60 total.
    Really? I can see the brand not being important but I thought ramped/pinned (mostly pinned) rings were needed to get decent shifting (I may be misreading what you mean by flat rings). I had a compact 50/34 crank on this bike before and shifting was terrible, even with the proper rings. Guess I just assumed it would be worse without them, but the only time I really remember it shifting somewhat tolerably was when set up 36/46 so maybe it really is mostly tooth difference between the rings.

I did find these: Thorne Koksijde Outer Chainring which are available in 46. I could probably pair one with the 39t ring I have currently and get pretty close (I got the crank used but I assume the ring is ramped, haven't really looked). I would like to move to a 38 for the small ring too but its not urgent - I'll check it for wear next time I pull the bike out.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Best range ive found is using a triple crank with a 30/42/bash guard combined with a 11-32 cassette.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    The difference between the 38 and 39 is negligible and not worth spending money on unless the 39 (as you mention) is worn.

Ramped and pinned 'rings are by no means a necessity for good shifting. They can be helpful when shifting under duress but if you read the Wickwerks page they even recommend against shifting under power.
    Flat (non-ramped) chainrings shift just dandy if you anticipate the shift.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I did find these: Thorne Koksijde Outer Chainring which are available in 46. I could probably pair one with the 39t ring I have currently and get pretty close (I got the crank used but I assume the ring is ramped, haven't really looked).
    Until last season I was running Thorne 44/38 and later 46/38 on a Cannondale Hollogram SRM but opted to switch to the WickWerks rings simply for reasons of asthetics. I now have several sets of 130 BCD Thorne rings in 46/38 and 44/38 teeth that need a new home - PM me if you need a set of used Thorne rings.

mtbr member

Re: 130 BCD Close Ratio Chainrings - Wickwerks And?

Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Until last season I was running Thorne 44/38 and later 46/38 on a Cannondale Hollogram SRM but opted to switch to the WickWerks rings simply for reasons of asthetics. I now have several sets of 130 BCD Thorne rings in 46/38 and 44/38 teeth that need a new home - PM me if you need a set of used Thorne rings.
    pm sent. how do you like the wick werks rings? Do they shift noticeably better? The bridge system they have seems like a cool idea.

mtbr member
    Shifting is good but can't really be compared as I ran DA 7900 shifters with the Thorne rings but am running a 9000 front and 7900 rear with the Wick Werks rings.