Addicted
    May 2006

X-post: Astrix bikes

I'll start off with a big thanks to Dianna and Ryan and the crew over at Astrix. Super nice people to work with and the quality and ride that comes from their products is amazing!

My '08 race bikes.

First up is the slalom/4x/urban/dirtjump/jack-of-all-trade's Astrix Union
    Build Specs:
    Frame: Astrix Union
    Fork: RockShox Reba Team (dual air, U-turn)
    Headset: FSA Cratridge bearing (not sure which model)
    Headset spacers: Winwood carbon fiber
    Compression device: THE headlock
    Stem: Race Face Diablous
    Handlebars: Race Face Next Carbon Low
    Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock On
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon w/Ti hardware, 7" front 6" rear
    Shifter: Sram XO trigger shifter
    Derailleur: Sram XO short cage
    Chain: Sram PC 991 Hollowpin
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-32T
    Sprocket: Race Face 36T DH
    Crank: Bontrager RaceLight SS
    Bottom bracket: FSA Platinum Ti ISIS
    Chain guide: Gamut 36T
    Pedals: Wellgo MG1
    Seat: Bontrager Inform RL
    Seatpost: Bontrager Race X Lite ACC carbon
    Seat clamp: Bontrager Carbon Friendly
    Front hub: DT Swiss 440FR
    Rear hub: DT Swiss 440FR
    Spokes: DT Swiss Champion Double Butted
    Nipples: DT Swiss Brass
    Rims: Halo Freedom Disc
    Tubes: Bontrager 24x1.95 standard
    Tires: Kenda Nevagal 2.35 Tomac Stick-E front and rear

Frame: Astrix Havoc medium
    Rear Shock: '08 Manitou Revox w/250# Ti spring
    Fork: '08 RockShox Boxxer WC
    Headset: Race Face Deus
    Headset spacers: Winwood carbon fiber
    Compression device: THE Head Lock
    Stem: Sunline Inegrated
    Handlebars: Sunline V1 710mm+ wide
    Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock On
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon w/Ti hardware 8" front, 6" rear
    Shifter: Sram XO gripshift
    Derailleur: Sram XO short cage
    Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-25T
    Chain: KMC K10SL (10spd machined links, hollow pins)
    Sprocket: Race Face 36T DH
    Crank: Bontrager RaceLite SS
    Bottom bracket: FSA Platinum 100mm
    Chain guide: MRP G2
    Pedals: Welgo MG1
    Seat: Bontrager Inform RL or Bontrager Race X Lite
    Seatpost: Bontrager Race X Lite ACC Carbon
    Seat clamp: Bontrager QR Carbon Friendly
    Front hub: WTB SuperDuty 20mm
    Rear hub: WTB SuperDuty 150mm
    Spokes: DT Swiss AeroLite
    Nipples:DT Swiss Alloy anodized red
    Rims: WTB LaserDisc FR
    Tubes: Bontrager 24x1.95 standard
    Tires: Michelin DH16 A/T 2.5 front, Michelin DH24 A/T 2.2 rear custom cut

I've been really pleased with the performance of both bikes. The union is sitting about 27lbs and is a blast to ride everywhere. The Havoc is a much funner bike in everyway than my last bike('07 M3). The Havoc has a longer wheelbase, slacker head angle and weighs more than the M3, however the Havoc is far easier to whip around, is much more stable, far more compliant to the ground and the floating rear brake leaves me with a huge smile on my face with the suspenison remaining alive with the stoppers on.
    There will be a 3rd Astrix added to the mix soon to fill the gap between the Union and the Havoc. Suspension will again be Rockshox (likely in the form of a Lyric), shifting will be Sram X9(I've got a couple of those setups so I may as well used them), brakes will be either Juicy Carbons or El Camino's both of which I have already or I may branch out and try the new XT or Strokers. I will again be building a custom wheelset for myself. The AeroLite spokes turned out really nice on the DH wheelset so I will probably go that route again. We'll see what time and money allow for.

It was asked that I post up my Astrix bikes on here I did so over on the DH section, but thought that no everyone would catch it. So I posted up here as well. Enjoy.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    both bikes look bloody amazing, but I question the use of a Reba on a dirtjump/4X/urban/slalom hardtail.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member

Astrix does make some beauties!!!

Great looking bikes! How do you like the Revox, and how do you like running 11-25 cassette?

Cheers,
    -R
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

Addicted
    May 2006
    So far I'm pretty pleased with the 36/11-25t combo. Last year I ran my M3 with 36/12-32T and found myself spinning faster than I wanted to but at the same time I couldn't get that perfect "in between" gear. I swapped over to a 38t front chain ring and it got my spinning down a good bit, but still left me hunting for that perfect gear. I like a quick spin, not crazy fast, something that I can accelerate right out of the corners with but still put down the pedals.
    I made the swap back to 36 up front and 11-25 out back which gives me a slower spin, but still able to acclerate quickly and allows me to hit that perfect gear, which changes throughout the course as I wear out... I'm really happy with my gearing right now. The XO gripshift is AMAZING as well. Alot of people hate on gripshift but for DH I'm hooked. Teh XO paddle shifters were a hassle trhough rock gardens trying to hit gears correctly. The XO gripshift gives play forward and back so you can move around but the shifts are crisp just like the XO trigger. That and they are lighter and cheaper than the XO trigger. However, the XO trigger will remain on all my non-DH specific bikes.

I love the Revox. I've got an '06 Revox, an '07 Swinger X6 SFS shimmed (not SPV), the Stratos El Jefe and then the '08 Revox for the Havoc frame. The Revox's are by far the nicest performing shock I've run. They definitly do not have that harsh small bump feeling that the SPV and SFS shimmed shocks do. The Revox is light too. Very light! The aluminum shaft certainly brings the weight down and the larger overall body than the Swinger/DHX/Rocco's allows for more oil which helps keep things cool and working smooth.

I'm going to order up a Rocco Air and Evolver for the Havoc as well just to see how that goes and see what I think of them. All in all I'm hooked on the Revox. I think that I may even spring(pun intended) for one on the Eon.

I think that alot of my equipment choice works very well for me because i've been able to recognize how my riding style differs from others and help to pick products that will allow me to ride that way that I do and still be somewhat quick. I run parts that are light weight and allow me to run them plush so that I don't have a stiff heavy bike to push around. I just can't do it.
    What I mean by that is that I'm not quite the average build. At 21 years old I stand 6'..not too abnormal until I mention that fully clothed (including shoes belt and keys) I'm 131lbs. There's not much muscle to me and I don't mind, I just don't try to force the bike where it doesnt want to go. Alot of times instead of pedaling and forcing the bike trhough stuff I pump the suspension and then pedal, lay off through the rough stuff and let the suspension do its work and then throw in some pumps and pedals. I run a #250 spring out back which sits me right at 31% sag and feels great very compliant to the ground yet sits quite stable while I'm jabbing pedals. However on my Boxxer WC I was having a really hard time getting that plush yet lively feel. The fork just sort of felt dead at times. After lots of pulling apart and testing the best combo I could come up with was dropping the oil from 5wt down to 2.5wt running the high speed compression on 1 click from open, LSC at 2 full turns and then the air pressure at 110psi. Theres been ALOT of tinkering to get the bike and suspension to work really well for me.

Here's a little video from this weekend. The section is a really odd section of trail it's a really fast double track that cuts off hits a 12ft gap, then rails you right into a 90deg. corner over a couple small bumps, and then right back into a fast double track. You can see where I push my rear wheel down, manual and then pump my front tire into the backside and then start my pedal. All the other guys I ride with pedal through everything and just mash their bikes where it should go, however that works for them as they all sit in the top 10 within their classes, most in the top 3. I just have a really rough time forcing my bike to go somewhere and so I've got my bike setup so that I don't need to.

That was probably a little more then the answer you were looking for but I'm home from work sick today so since I can't be at work working on bikes, I may as well be e-biking on my computer.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Thanks for the detail in your response, is your havoc strickly for DH runs meaning no climbing chair lift assisted trails? or Do you hike up with your bike, I want to convert my huckster into a single ring but not sure is that would make it impossible to climb with.

Thanks,
    rafael
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

Addicted
    May 2006
    The answer to your question is for the most part Yes. My Havoc is almost entirely shuttle specific. Our local riding area you either shuttle or push and then SkiBowl opens up in the summer and we ride the lifts there for racing. Lately we've been pushing half-runs. I could however slide the seatpost up and drop it in low gear and pedal up, but I don't like to. The Havoc has a longer wheelbase, slacker geometry and more sag than your Huckster would, therefore making your Huckster a better climbing bike than my Havoc. If you did want to drop to a single ring up front and still climb, I'd say go no larger than 34T up front and run either a 32 or 34 as your granny gear out back. With the full length seat tube and a little bit more upright geometry you bike shouldn't be too bad. Especially for the reward after the climb. If your not racing you're likely just out flowing around pumping corners having a blast right? No need to be cranking constantly to have fun, the 32/34 w/11/12-34T combo should work great.

Updated Union pics tomorrow, perhaps some urban shots too.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    Thanks, definitely look into converting it to a single ring up front. Lame question can I run a normal crank or will I need a single ring one? Looking forward to checking out the new union pix. thanks -R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rarroyo
    Thanks, definitely look into converting it to a single ring up front. Lame question can I run a normal crank or will I need a single ring one? Looking forward to checking out the new union pix. thanks -R
    You can use the crank you have now, just remove the lower ring, you can use chainring spacers if your chain line is a little off to get it perfect. I find that alot of times the singlespeed specific cranks put the chainline in a weird position. I would have been better off going with a double crank on my Havoc, however no one makes a light weight ISIS crank any more. Everything is external bearing and not compatible with a 100mm bottom bracket.
    I would suggest picking up a single ring specific chainguide though. The Gamut guide is really light, but it's rather loud due to a hard plastic lower roller. I didn't like the Gamut guide on my DH bike, it wasn't working as well as I would have liked.
    The MRP G2 is fantastic. Lighter than an E13 LG1, it includes the lower bash and the folks over at MRP/WhiteBro's are awesome!

New Union pics. I swapped to a new Shimano crank and popped the bashring on as it's required for the Gamut to work properly.

I try to keep alot of parts similar on all my bikes. Brakes, seatposts, similar forks, tires, seats, pedals and grips are things that I try to keep either the same or very similar. I have a set of Saint cranks that are for an 83mm bottom bracket. I think I may be able to get them to work on the Havoc and that would help bring the similarities between the two bikes even closer.

-Kevin

mtbr member
    OK I am ready to make my Huckster a single ring...I need suggestions which, chain, crank, guide, cassette, and whatever else...

Thanks,
    Rafael
    Last edited by rarroyo; 04-06-2008 at 07:27 AM.
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Kevin,

I see your bike is so hot it attracts the *****. (cant i even make reference to a cat in the USA???)

Love the red Gamut - i have to have one for my white huckster!

Cheers,

Jawry
    Last edited by jawry; 04-10-2008 at 02:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jawry any pix?

-R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown