Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3d
    I guess it really come down to whether you want to be able to climb in the saddle, or out of the saddle / push.
    Exactly. This is a Downieville bike. Need the extra gearing for getting the bike up and over the few steeps.

damon

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Gotcha on the 2x9 setup. I ditched mine front mech and was fine. Lost some weight, simplified it... worked for me where I ride.

Well, Blitz II is a damn fine looking bike. Best looking in its class right now IMO. Sounds like a real fun bike to ride too.

I'm looking at the Bottlerocket. Waiting to see if it works out... If not the Blitz is on deck.

Maybe I'll get them both (ha)

I rot before I ripen

Blitz Build

Finished up the Blitz build today. The Avid front brake needed a post-mount adaptor. And I needed more Flak Jacket for the front derailler shifter.

Final weight: 40.43 pounds.

After these photos, I shortened the chain. Removed the shock and compressed the suspension. Chain growth was minimal. Also, the tire hits the seat stay with several inches of seat clearance. So no seat scrub.

However, I did find that the seat post clamp lever hits the linkage. In fact, it cut a nice little notch in the rocker arm. Not sure if this will be a problem in normal usage. But it will suck if it occurs for big drops and jumps.

After I got the chain and shifting squared away, I set up the shock. This is my first DHX Air, so I used the set up guide for the Santa Cruz Nomad with DHX Air, and then toned down the rebound.

Let me tell you. This bike rocks! It's snappy off the line, has tons of stability, and rolls better than any bike I've had. The transmission is incredible. The suspension feels rock solid.

More pictures if anyone's interested:

> http://www.pacificafreeride.com/copp...s.php?album=52

My large Blitz will come in this week, and I'll start building it up. Gonna go with a similar build, but no front derailler. Probably get DT Swiss FR rims and Hadley hubs. Regular Stylo cranks. Looking for a 39+ pound bike.

damon
    Attached Images Attached Images

New School
    yes, i agree. bottlerocket is the ****. i would never buy a versus, only witha gun to my head would i buy one, then i would not ride it. I would go order a session 77, or a session 10, especially for norcal riding, since the mini pivots on the versus are maybe a cool fad now, but they cant to **** 1 year down the road. why go small on pivots, that dont make sense.
    ALGIO E OLIO!

mtbr member
    now thats wicked!...can't wait to see your build

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by levee67
    However, I did find that the seat post clamp lever hits the linkage. In fact, it cut a nice little notch in the rocker arm. Not sure if this will be a problem in normal usage. But it will suck if it occurs for big drops and jumps.
    damon
    Turn your seat post clamp around 180, the seat stay cutout & the post clamp opening should line up. Your backwards bro.

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Turn your seat post clamp around 180, the seat stay cutout & the post clamp opening should line up. Your backwards bro.
    Heh, thanks. Actually, it's turned around on purpose. Clamp hits the rocker when suspension is maxed out. Turn it around, there's a little less clamp. Like I wrote, clamp already left a nick in the metal.

damon

hairy posse member
    Dec 2005
    Hi dblackfly,

how does your Blitz climb? (It looks awesome...) Any pedal bobbing? I'm looking for a burly AM frame with more climbing abililty than a pure FR rig. Is it in the same category like RFX/Nomad/6.6?

Thanx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor67
    Hi dblackfly,

how does your Blitz climb? (It looks awesome...) Any pedal bobbing? I'm looking for a burly AM frame with more climbing abililty than a pure FR rig. Is it in the same category like RFX/Nomad/6.6?

Thanx
    I think we can say that the Blitz II is closer to a slopestyle frame than it is AM. Its a bit slacker, a lot beefier and a good bit heavier than the more AM bikes you mentioned.

ride hard take risks
    Heh, thanks. Actually, it's turned around on purpose. Clamp hits the rocker when suspension is maxed out. Turn it around, there's a little less clamp. Like I wrote, clamp already left a nick in the metal.

damon
    Ya i read every thing wasnt aware that is why the clamp is backward. Have you talked to Herb or Vivian about this

I rot before I ripen
    Why don't Versus got their own thread? Anyway.

I'm pretty sure Herb knows about the post collar problem. One of the Versus riders told me to turn it around.

I thought about getting one of those seat post dropper things. Do away with the whole post clamp problem.

However, the seat post dropper with the rubber accordian thing is dumb, and the Maverick seems way to involved. I seem to remember seeing a two-piece seat post (Truvativ?) on some bike in one of the magazines. I'm going to give that a look.

I only need a few inches for riding up the hill.

damon

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    I think we can say that the Blitz II is closer to a slopestyle frame than it is AM. Its a bit slacker, a lot beefier and a good bit heavier than the more AM bikes you mentioned.
    Yeah, it's a burly bike. Though I heard that Herb built up a sub-35 pound Blitz 2. But that's gotta be cutting some corners.

I wanted a 7 inch, kick-ass bike that was 5-10 pounds less than my DH bike.

Other than the Transition Dirtbag and maybe the new Specialized, there ain't no company making em. And I *did not* want another single pivot.

I went with Versus intead of Transition because I've ridden the Blitz, and the linkage/suspension was freaking rock solid. I bet the Tranny is almost as good. But they ain't local.

Once my Blitz is built, I'm gonna let my v-10 take a rest, and I'm gonna rip the Blitz to pieces.

damon

ride hard take risks
    Have you called & talked to herb about this It could be the post clamp you are using does not work with the Blitz but the clamps Versus has used for development did not have this problem. Input is a great thing & if there is a problem im shure they would really like to know so they can resolve this issue.

mtbr member
    The other thing people forget is that not all weight is created equal. The biggest weight concern is always the rotating weight because that is where your bike can really start to feel sluggish. The second most important part of the weight equation is at the ends of the bike, basically where is the bike's center of balance and what kind of effort does it take to flick the bike around. Frame weight is pretty insignificant. I'd rather have a burly AM frame thats good for shuttling and general abuse than boutique 30lbs bike that gets torn up in the back of a truck or when I crash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by levee67
    damon

Turn your seat post clamp around 180, the seat stay cutout & the post clamp opening should line up. Your backwards bro. Turn your seat post clamp around 180, the seat stay cutout & the post clamp opening should line up. Your backwards bro.
    Yup mine too have a nice little notch on the rocker arm. Once my thigh got a pinch between it..... else it is a great bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dblackfly
    Yup mine too have a nice little notch on the rocker arm. Once my thigh got a pinch between it..... else it is a great bike

Hey db, did you ever get an exact weight of your build yet? Sick build

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsystm
    Hey db, did you ever get an exact weight of your build yet? Sick build
    hmmm sorry did not really get to weigh my ride. I estimate it to be around 35 to 37 lbs
    maybe..... even if it is heavy......still feel light when u ride it.

rollin

blitz 1 questions:

how much does the blitz 1 frame weigh?

does the blitz 1 utilize needle bearings w/ grease ports in the pivots?

what is the eye-2-eye on the blitz 1?

thanks, i'm interested in buying that adrenaline bike blitz 1...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    how much does the blitz 1 frame weigh?

does the blitz 1 utilize needle bearings w/ grease ports in the pivots?

what is the eye-2-eye on the blitz 1?

thanks, i'm interested in buying that adrenaline bike blitz 1...
    Frame weight i always forget 9-10 pounds.

Roller bearings at all pivots just like every other multi pivot bike.

7 7/8

hairy posse member
    Dec 2005

New question here.

...and how much does the Blitz II Frame weigh? Does it make sense to buy one for agressive trail riding (and occasionally bikepark use)? How about its pedaling efficiency and uphill performance? I've never found any reliable review of it. Maybe you can help me to find out the main characteristics?

Thank you.
    Last edited by razor67; 07-24-2006 at 04:08 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by razor67
    ...and how much does the Blitz II Frame weigh? Does it make sense to buy one for agressive trail riding (and occasionally bikepark use)? How about its pedaling efficiency and uphill performance? I've never found any reliable review of it. Maybe you can help me to find out the main characteristics?

Thank you.
    It is over 10lbs. It can pedal up hill fine but it is no XC bike so with any bike of this style you will work on long climbs. It is designed as a FR bike or a heavy duty AM bike. Versus was able to get there bike somewhere around 32lbs or less.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride...t_127001.shtml

http://www.versuscycles.com/

mtbr member
    Funny that you just mentioned, cause we just finished building this for a customer. 32.3 Ibs as an ALL MOUNTAIN setup

Versus Blitz II Med

07 Fox 36 TALAS RC2
    07 Fox DHX Air
    Formula Oro Puro Gold (Pump/Carbon Levers/Kevlar hose/ Ti Fasteners)
    SRAM X-O Blackbox rear d.
    SRAM X-O shifters
    Hadley Hubs
    DT Swiss Wheels
    XT Cranks
    MRP Carbon Ring
    Heim Guide
    Chris King headset
    Thompson Stem
    SDG I-Beam seat

Last edited by liquidsystm; 07-24-2006 at 09:44 PM.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsystm
    Funny that you just mentioned, cause we just finished building this for a customer. 32.3 Ibs as an ALL MOUNTAIN setup

Versus Blitz II Med

very nice build!

ride hard take risks
    That is very very sweet, awsome job there liquidsystm Did you pick the parts or the customer dang that is almost what i would build my next Blitz with.

mtbr member
    What tires are on there? Were they included in the weight?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast