Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I rot before I ripen

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Hitting up Dville this comming weekend
    Probably won't hit Dville until after the Whistler trip at the end of this month.

I run 24 psi or less on my Mavic wheels, so we'll see pretty quick if the DT Swiss hold up.

damon

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by levee67
    Probably won't hit Dville until after the Whistler trip at the end of this month.

I run 24 psi or less on my Mavic wheels, so we'll see pretty quick if the DT Swiss hold up.

damon
    Was running 27psi at Dville last weekend with a 2.35 folding bead in the read & pinch flatted a DH tube. Did'nt have a spare DH had to use a XC tube & pumped it to 35 to be on the safe side for the rest of the weekend.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    ya 27psi is way to low for d-ville even if u have dh tires and tubes. i run like 37 in mine and ive never flatted up there.

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbames190
    ya 27psi is way to low for d-ville even if u have dh tires and tubes. i run like 37 in mine and ive never flatted up there.
    heh, I've never flatted at 24 in Dville. I guess I just busted my luck by saying it.

damon

N* Bomber Crew
    Such a hot bike....great setup...I love it!
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    you need a shot of your bike with the female one!
    "dropped outta school. no G.E.D. but in these streets i'm a G.O.D."
    -murs

mtbr member
    But the DHX Air blows through its travel, even with the bottom-out adjuster maxed out and 190 pounds of air.

Is that 190 in the main chamber or boost valve. if you are not pressurising the boost valve it wont matter how much you crank the dial.

Nice looking ride, that design of the rocker is an interesting departure from the usual.
    Extracting stings from wasps in flight.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbames190
    Running 26psi front with a FR side wall & DH tube with no prob so far. The folding bead is what flated me.
    Formotion Products

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by sdtmtb
    But the DHX Air blows through its travel, even with the bottom-out adjuster maxed out and 190 pounds of air.

Is that 190 in the main chamber or boost valve. if you are not pressurising the boost valve it wont matter how much you crank the dial.
    190 in the main and 100 in the boost. I've been using the set-up guide for the Santa Cruz Nomad. Earlier today, I was hitting the step down at Boy Scout and was tire-scrubbing the seat stay.

So tonight, I used the set-up guide for the Yeti ASX. It said 180 in the main and 135 in the boost. I didn't hit anything huge, but that seemed to work pretty good.

damon

very nice ride!
    Is that a 2.25x7.785 shock?
    I read somewhere that the air would be 2.0 (6 inches travel), and the coil would be 2.25 (6.75 inches).. kind of curious why you couldn't put a 2.25 air on this bike if that's the case.

mtbr member
    190 in the main and 100 in the boost. I've been using the set-up guide for the Santa Cruz Nomad. Earlier today, I was hitting the step down at Boy Scout and was tire-scrubbing the seat stay.

So tonight, I used the set-up guide for the Yeti ASX. It said 180 in the main and 135 in the boost. I didn't hit anything huge, but that seemed to work pretty good.

damon
    That bugs me cause I was seriously considering this bike (with DHX 5.0) as opposed to a VPX based on price and particularly the Delarosa's incredible customer service. I called just to ask a few questions about the Blitz and Herb stayed on the phone talking bikes with me for about an hour. Not another company (owner) out there with that kinda personal service. PROPS to Versus and the Delarosa's.
    Looking for a burly freeride bike with good handling and pedalling characteristics this bike sounds like the call but for my style of FR (big drops, gaps, DJ etc) I think is a bit much for a 6 3/4" 4-bar with a 2" stroke. I'm just not convinced this bike is as prepared to be classed "Extreme FR" as it's reputation claims. For gnarly singletrack, DJ and sub-10 foot drops it's the best bang for the buck and one of the sweetest looking and best built bikes hands down.
    Just my preferrance but congrats on the new ride bro!! Definately hot looking bike and awesome build.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

Glad to Be Alive
    Hitting up Dville this comming weekend
    save some energy for October
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    very nice ride!
    I read somewhere that the air would be 2.0 (6 inches travel), and the coil would be 2.25 (6.75 inches).. kind of curious why you couldn't put a 2.25 air on this bike if that's the case.
    I don't know what the shock stroke is. I'll have to find out and get back to you.

But, the air came stock from Versus.

damon

mtbr member

damon
    Good work, I have a DHX coil and run about 140 in the boost. The trick is to make 5psi adjustments in each (but only one at time) to find your perfect setup.
    Extracting stings from wasps in flight.

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid
    Here you go.

Frames are very similar. Toptube on mine is a good inch longer. My knees hit the bar ends on her bike. I'm 5'10". My wife is 5'6". Other than that, either of us could ride either one.

damon
    Attached Images Attached Images

I rot before I ripen
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid
    And the other side.

Builds are pretty close.

Hers:
    Double ring, carbon fiber Truvativ cranks.
    Halo rims.
    Deity bar.
    e13 bashgaurd.

Mine:
    Single ring Holzfellers on mine.
    DT Swiss rims.
    Race Face Diablous bar.
    Gamut guide.

damon
    Last edited by levee67; 09-07-2006 at 08:53 AM.

I rot before I ripen
    very nice ride!
    Seems to be 7.875 x 2.

So would the 2.5 fit?

d
    Last edited by levee67; 09-05-2006 at 07:06 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Seems to be 7.875 x 2.

So would the 2.5 fit?

d
    Talk to Herb beffor you jump the gun & make a expensive mess for nothing.
    Formotion Products

I rot before I ripen
    Talk to Herb beffor you jump the gun & make a expensive mess for nothing.
    Yup, good thing I did. Herb got right back to me. The dhx air is actually 7.875 x
    2.25 (not 2.0). And he did not recommend the 2.5, since the suspension wasn't designed around that stroke.

Thanks!

Damon

ride hard take risks
    Yup, good thing I did. Herb got right back to me. The dhx air is actually 7.875 x
    2.25 (not 2.0). And he did not recommend the 2.5, since the suspension wasn't designed around that stroke.

Thanks!

Damon
    Any time

David
    Formotion Products

man the dilemma I'm in is if I should swap frames. I've had the 6.6 for 9 months now, totally happy with its performance, and boy.. it's a real head turner. The only thing I wish it had was a slightly stiffer rear end. It's built up with a z1 light at 34.4 pounds, so I think swapping all the parts over to a Blitz II would result in a 36.5 pound bike (medium 6.6 with dhx air is 7.5 lbs i think).

What i love about the 6.6 is how I can pedal out of the saddle on the climbs and it feels great... and how the downhills are pretty darn fluid. I know this topic has been beat to death, but with a dhx air and the propedal up, will the blitz be a lot for sluggish on the climbs when I stand up to pedal.. and does the vpp really feel that much smoother on the rougher DH runs?

notabouttoseeyourlight
    man the dilemma I'm in is if I should swap frames. I've had the 6.6 for 9 months now, totally happy with its performance, and boy.. it's a real head turner. The only thing I wish it had was a slightly stiffer rear end. It's built up with a z1 light at 34.4 pounds, so I think swapping all the parts over to a Blitz II would result in a 36.5 pound bike (medium 6.6 with dhx air is 7.5 lbs i think).

What i love about the 6.6 is how I can pedal out of the saddle on the climbs and it feels great... and how the downhills are pretty darn fluid. I know this topic has been beat to death, but with a dhx air and the propedal up, will the blitz be a lot for sluggish on the climbs when I stand up to pedal.. and does the vpp really feel that much smoother on the rougher DH runs?
    have you considered a bolt on rear axle? or are you talking about play in the bearings?
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    have you considered a bolt on rear axle? or are you talking about play in the bearings?
    Yeah maybe I should look into a bolt-on. That would make a considerable difference?
    I wouldn't really say it's the bearings. I can easily grab the wheel or the frame and apply some torque and see movement in the tubes/alignment. When I hit a corner, I hear the discs rubbing... then when I go straight, it's ok. I've ridden a few other bikes that seemed to track better.. for this reason probably.

if the bolt-on helps that much.. let me know and I'll get my hands on one.
    I have Hadleys with a QR.. that should be convertible to a 10mm bolt-on I presume.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    a bolt on axle can help a lot with the torsional action you're talking about as it serves as an anchor on the end instead of basically an open V at the end of your chainstays... Get the kit from Hadley... it'll be cheap and easy!

I rot before I ripen
    a bolt on axle can help a lot with the torsional action you're talking about as it serves as an anchor on the end instead of basically an open V at the end of your chainstays... Get the kit from Hadley... it'll be cheap and easy!
    Both of these Blitzes have the Hadley 10mm thru-axle. Coming off a QR on my old AS-X, I can tell you that the bolt-on rocks. The rear is super stiff.

damon

Both of these Blitzes have the Hadley 10mm thru-axle. Coming off a QR on my old AS-X, I can tell you that the bolt-on rocks. The rear is super stiff.

damon

Great thanks for that suggestion. I just ordered the kit right now.
    Still tempted to switches frames though .. hehe

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Great thanks for that suggestion. I just ordered the kit right now.
    Still tempted to switches frames though .. hehe
    well if you're dying to give it away i'll gladly take that 6.6 off of your hands! heck, being the nice guy that i am, i'll even throw in the cash to ship it!

ride hard take risks
    well if you're dying to give it away i'll gladly take that 6.6 off of your hands! heck, being the nice guy that i am, i'll even throw in the cash to ship it!
    If he does'nt give it to you im next in line
    Formotion Products

If he does'nt give it to you im next in line

hahaha.
    hahahahhaha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New Toy: Versus Weapon X

Hey Everyone...

Just built up a frame. There wasn't much info available in the forums when I was contemplating the purchase. The frame looked sick, so I took the plunge. Respect to my boy J- in SoCal. He hooked me up, bigtime!

Maybe this thread will generate some interesting discussion. Perhaps there are more Versus owners out there. If so, please post your rides!

Specs:

frame Versus Weapon X, 9" Travel
    fork MarZ' 888RC, 203mm
    shock Fox DHX 5.0 Coil
    handlebar FSA Gravity Light 31.8mm
    stem MarZ' integrated
    seatpost Titec pyro scoper (telescopic)
    saddle FUNN launch pad
    pedals Wellgo B-67
    shifters SRAM X.7 trigger, rear only
    front derailleur E-Thirteen SRS Guide
    rear derailleur SRAM X.7 mid cage
    brakes Avid bb7 8"
    levers Avid FR-5
    cassette XT 11-32T
    chain SRAM PC-951
    cranks Race Face Prodigy DH
    ring Black Spire 38T
    BB FSA isis
    rims/hubs Azonic outlaw
    tires Kenda Nevagal Front/Rear w/Stick-e rubber DH casing
    grips oury
    Last edited by praetorian; 09-27-2006 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice. How much does it weigh?

get down!
    :drool:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe Slim
    Nice. How much does it weigh?
    Not sure. I will put it on the scale tomorrow night and post the weight for you. My guess is around 50 lbs.

gmoney was gmoneybike

Allen Bolts

On the non-drive side, what are the 3 allen bolts on the chainstay for?
    Were looking at balz

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghashmi
    On the non-drive side, what are the 3 allen bolts on the chainstay for?
    Thanks for looking. Those allen bolts are for the suspension linkages. Imagine the Rocky Mountain RMX shock/suspension links turned 90 degrees clockwise. Here are some more detailed pics.

VooDoo user.
    Your seat tube is bent.

Nice ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Your seat tube is bent.

Nice ride.

Good thing you told me. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed...

Thanks for the compliment!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New Versus Blitz 1 build

Here is a picture of the freeride bike I just built. The wife got me the frame for a anniversary gift and built it with parts I have been stock piling.
    Rides fantastic and handles like it has a lot more travel then it does. The shifters and rear derailleur are off my slayer and will go back to it as soon as I decided what to put on this bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    very nice! i like the subdued, understated black. might need more fork in the future. anyway, enjoy it...

VooDoo user.
    Please tell me those mech. brakes are temporary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Please tell me those mech. brakes are temporary.
    Yes, they are... I spent a small fortune getting it built, and wanted to get it on the trail ASAP. I cannibalized parts from my DJ bike, to get it finished. However, you can't sleep on those brakes. With new cables/housing and proper adjustment, the BB7's are quite capable. I have been very impressed by w/ their performance. I think ppl knock these brakes just b/c they are "mechanical."

Also, I discovered another advantage to the BB7's. This past w/end I jettison'd the bike and the rear caliper/rotor/wheel landed square on a rock. The rotor was warped so badly that the wheel wouldn't turn. I was able to bend the rotor into shape and use the caliper adjustment dials enough to get by for the rest of the day. That wouldn't have been possible w/ most hydraulic setups (minus the Juicy 7).

Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi there,
    Am looking at the Weapon X as a downhill compliment to my freeride rig. This looks sweet and is appropriately named.
    How are you finding it and are there any components you would change second time round?
    Any update on the weight?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueychip
    Hi there,
    Am looking at the Weapon X as a downhill compliment to my freeride rig. This looks sweet and is appropriately named.
    How are you finding it and are there any components you would change second time round?
    Any update on the weight?
    Thanks
    Hey, I appreciate the compliment, and thanks for peeping my thread. I've ridden the bike a few times at Diablo by now. I am exremely happy with it. It's a sick bike! I've done just about every drop at Diablo, and the bike didn't even flinch. It is predictable in the air, and it absolutely plows thru the rough stuff. I think it's value, and performance/dollar are tough to beat.

What components would I change? Thatís a tough one. Perhaps the BB7's, but not for their performance. I happen to love these brakes. When set up correctly (correct levers, high quality cables/housing, etc), I think the BB7 is right up there with most of the mid-grade/mid-priced hydraulics. They are powerful, easy to set up, and have good modulation. The only issue I have with them is durability. I dropped the bike a few times, and smashed the rear caliper the rocks. The front caliper took a hit and the red dial fell off. Luckily I was able to piece it back together on the trail. Nevertheless, they held up very well considering.

As far as using this bike for DH, I think that depends on your intended purpose. The bike is quite heavy, and it is labor-some to pedal. If you plan to race, I think it may not be the best choice for a dedicated DH racer. You are better off with a Sunday, V10, Stab. You're better off using it for FR. I haven't weighed it yet, but a guestimate of my setup is +/- 55lbs or so. I will get back to you with an exact number. Stay tuned...

Also, I have contacted Herb at Versus. He replied promptly--within an hour or less, and that was on the w/end. They appear to stand behind their products. That is definitely worth mentioning.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The current setup is 49.5 lbs. That's w/ Hayes 9's, not the BB7's pictured...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Weapon pics

Hi there. Nice bike huh (Iv just bought one too;> But its stil on the plane.) hehe
    In regards to your rear shock, I think you have it around the wrong way! The reservoir should be pointing forward shouldnt it!. Looks like ya tires gonna have a little "meeting" with it. Besides rocks and crap will hit the reservoir!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Niks11
    Hi there. Nice bike huh (Iv just bought one too;> But its stil on the plane.) hehe
    In regards to your rear shock, I think you have it around the wrong way! The reservoir should be pointing forward shouldnt it!. Looks like ya tires gonna have a little "meeting" with it. Besides rocks and crap will hit the reservoir!
    Hey, thanks for looking. You are 100% right about the shock orientation. I found that out the hard way. I was so p'ssed about that, cuz the tire and reservoir did indeed have a "meeting." It went thru the label and polished the finish off the bottom out adjustment knob. I can't believe I didn't notice that after gawking at pics, build, ride, etc.

Anyway, I think you will enjoy the bike. I certainly do. Mine gets tons of attention. It becomes a conversation piece at the local hill, since not many ppl know about it. Let me know what you think after you build it and ride...

ride hard take risks

Versus At Work

Getting colder around these parts of NorCal. Herb is busy on the CAD redesigning the new hardtail frame and machining a very trick adjustable axle that should have three different axle size possibilities. Another nice feature is the ability to remove the rear wheel without pieces falling every place; they all stay within the drop outs.

Then there is the new internal Gear Boxx bike still in its proto type form but looking very nice and solid. Seems to be a trademark for Versus- making bikes that are smooth as silk at the pivots , yet laterally stiff.

Versus Cycles rider Andrew Taylor takes 1st place in the Air Dome Jump Jam and 2nd place in the Slopestyle competition at Whistler's Huckfest. Check out the Latest News - http://www.versuscycles.com/
    Formotion Products

ride hard take risks

Versus Blitz Two Years of Riding

Bought the Versus Blitz on January 19th 2005 and started putting all the new parts on that i had ordered for the previous 5 months. Decided to go with the medium frame for the intended riding, AM/DH. Herb & Vivian called to ask if they could send the frame with a Fox DHX5.0 instead of the Manitou Swinger 4-Way, of course i said yes to the DHX5.0 shock. The Blitz is designed as a 4-5-6 inch travel frame but i left it in the 6 inch setting. For 2 years the Blitz has been my do-all bike from XC to DH. In January 2006 i removed the dust seals from the bearings to repack them and the shifter cables and housing. Riding all the local trails in Marin County, Oat Hill in Calistoga, Northstar, Downieville, Pevine Reno, Pacifica and the muddy '05 GGG (now the CHDH). For 2 years the Versus Blitz has been flawless, i'm going to miss this great friend.

Build:
    Versus Cycles Blitz with Fox DHX5.0 shock.
    Manitou Fire Fly '06.
    Shimano XT derailleurs & LX shifters.
    Race Face cranks, BB, seat post stem.
    Answer Pro Taper handlebar with Lizzard Skinz Moab lock on grips.
    WTB DH wheel set & seat.
    Hayes HFX-Mag brakes with Galfer Wave Rotors (6 rear, 8 front).
    Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 rear, Minnion 2.5 3C front with DH tubes.
    Formotion Products

Formerly DMR For Life
    are you selling it or just retiring it?

DMR

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    are you selling it or just retiring it?

DMR
    It's going up for sale as a frame & shock only.
    Formotion Products

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast