MattSavage

Transition T-O-P....fork???

So my girlfriend is getting me a TOP for Xmas, frame only. The difficult part is deciding which fork to get. I'm teetering between a Pike, Argyle, 4X & Gold Label. I'm wondering what the max a-c and/or travel I should put on their. I have a brand new Nixon Elite T/A I was thinking about putting on their, but the lowest it goes is 115mm. Will that be too much or should I pony up for a new fork, stick in the 80-100 range? The 4X looks pretty dope, but it's 110mm...

I'm really not much of a dj'er or park or urban guy, I do more trail riding and some fr/dh than anything, so this doesn't have to be the ultimate, most dialed bike of all time. It's just going to be something to goof off with, practice my manuals, score babes and whatnot...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Seems like a Vagrant frame would better suit your style of riding. That being said teh ToP I believe is designed around a 100mm fork. Out of the ones you picked and the fact that I have considered building up another jumper, I would go with the Pike. It's a solid fork and is tried and true. BTW my last 100mm fork on my Cowan was a Marz DJ3 which was complete garbage. I replaced it with a 36 Talas RC2 slammed to 100mm. Overkill, but I knew i'd be replacing my Cowan with the Preston I have now which is a good pairing.

erj
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Argyle

I have a ToP and bought the Argyle. Love it. The only thing I'd change is to slam it to 80mm instead of the stock 100mm. I think Ride-This.com offers the Argyle already setup as a 80mm fork.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe Slim
    Seems like a Vagrant frame would better suit your style of riding. That being said teh ToP I believe is designed around a 100mm fork. Out of the ones you picked and the fact that I have considered building up another jumper, I would go with the Pike. It's a solid fork and is tried and true. BTW my last 100mm fork on my Cowan was a Marz DJ3 which was complete garbage. I replaced it with a 36 Talas RC2 slammed to 100mm. Overkill, but I knew i'd be replacing my Cowan with the Preston I have now which is a good pairing.
    i second this. in saying that the Vagrant would suit your style of riding a lot better, and will accept a wider variety of forks with various amounts of travel.
    the Vagrant will also dirt jump all day long

if you are set on the ToP, go with the Pike.. it's priced fairly, a proven performer and will give you the freedom of travel adjustability.
    Last edited by blender; 12-14-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Custom User Title
    The Pike is the way to go. My Opinion.

For park it can be dialed down to 95mm then sag to about 80mm or so. Twist it up to 100-120 for anything over DJing
    Team MOJO Wheels.