mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Transition Preston w/ 220lb Rider and 5ft drops?

Hi-

I am looking for a new bike that will be a do everything bike. I already have a loaded VP-Free with 888 and weighs about 44# or so. I plan to keep this for the riding that it is meant for, but want a 2nd bike for more everyday type stuff that I plan to build around 34#.

The area that I ride has alot of up/down x-country singletrack and fireroad ascents. Because of this, it must climb well. The trails are also mixed with log rides, skinnies, jumps and the occasional drop. The max drop for me is maybe 5ft.

I thought that I had my choices narrowed down to a an Intense 6.6 and the new Foes FXR. These bikes are both in the 6" range which is what I was thinking is the magic # for do-all including drops. I also like a more slack 67-68 head angle rather than a 69-70. I will be riding this new bike with a VAN 36 fork.

Now I am intrigued by the Transition Preston. In particular, the new 06 preston since it has a more slack head angle in both 4 and 5 inch modes, but I weigh about 210-220lbs without gear so this is where my concern comes in.

I have seen the videos for the Preston and it is indeed impressive, but these are skilled riders that weigh probably 170 lbs, so 4 or 5" rear travel is not a big deal with the drops they take. My concern is if this bike can handle a guy my size taking a 5 ft drop without bottoming. I will keep it in the 5" mode full time.

One of my other concerns is if this Preston can climb well. I am sure that it climbs better with the manitou than Romic. I am also a little concerned that I may be limited by just these two shocks, but not so much since the Foes will most likely be limited to the Curnutt. It does not appear that a FOX DHX fits or that there are any ti-springs available for any shocks that may fit this. My only other hope is the new Cane Creek Double Barrel, but I cannot find available sizes anywhere.

Anyway, for those that have any riding time on this frame, especially if you are bigger like me, please let me know your feelings. As stated above I am most curious about my size and drops and about uphill climbing.

By the way, I have emailed the guys at Transition and may talk with them in person since I live in Belllingham, but I am more interested from other people that have these.

Thanks

ride hard take risks
    Dont belive you will have any problems with Preston especiall in the 5in travel with a Manitou shock. The frame is very beefy & if the boys at Transition say they are standing behind Preston at your weight then thats a excelent word. If you dont feel confident ask them if they will put it in writing to make you more comfortable with the transaction of buying the frame. It wouldnt really be altering the warranty, unless their is a hidden word somewhere, so their shouldnt be any reason they wouldnt write a letter saying that if the frame was to break due to your weight (dont think it will) they will still honor the warranty.

Chillin the Most
    Let me start by saying, I love the Preston, I think it's an awesome bike, almost everything about it makes it a great short travel FR/Park bike.

With that said let me explain why I say almost. I say almost because the one thing that's working against this bike is the leverage ratio. In the 5" travel mode the bike is running @ 3.28:1, in the 4" it's 2.62:1. So for anyone of the clyde size, like you (and I), who wanted to run the bike in the 5" setting they'd need anywhere between an 850-1000lb spring (sag set @ 35%) depending on the type of riding. I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me, but the numbers don't lie and the bike just doesn't seem geared well towards clydes.

Although in defense of the Preston, I've never ridden one. However, I do have some experience with similiar bikes using high leverage ratios and adjustable travel. And I will say that if you plan to ride this bike primarily in the 5" travel setting you may indeed find it bottoming out on 5' drops occasionally (depending on how smooth you are). You may also find yourself in need of having your shock rebuild more often, since high leverage ratios exert more stress on shocks and tend to wear on them quicker

Anyhow, that's all I wanted to add. Good luck.

Bikes!
    Hi

I'm 245lbs (and the UK Distributor for Transition) and I have no problem with the Romic (800lb spring) or Manitou shocks, and have ridden drops without any problems at all, although I personally preffered the Manitou Swinger 4 way air shock as I was able to set it up to my weight more effectively.

I have friends that go bigger than me of a similar size that I've witnessed dropping on a Preston too, and never seen or heard anything but good things.

The 2006 bikes have a lower leverage ratio and slightly different travel settings to the 2005 bikes, to erradicate any problems the heavier rider may have experienced on the older bikes.

The guys in the US will more than likely be in touch with you soon, probably offering you a test ride seeing as you're so close.

I hope that helps
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Go to spudhucksters.com. These guys go huge on the Preston and Dirtbag. We have a lot of the same type of trails (climbs, XC, drops, jumps, logs, etc.. ) and Ian and Brad do it all on the Preston. These guys are great and I am sure will be happy to talk to you about the Preston. I know that Brad has ridden a bunch of the trails up here with Kevin from Transition as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the replies!

I went to Spudhucksters and those guys do indeed go big on what appear to be Prestons in about half of the pics. That is nice to see.

Transition J and Jimi1114 I have read all of your comments on the other "neverending" Preston thread and I value your guys opinion. If Transition J has friends similar to my build hitting what I assume are 5 ft+ drops with no issues, that is good to know. Jimi1114, what is your size and weight and do you agree from personal experience that drops are a non issue?

Transition J, any issues with the Air shock at these kind of drops? It must bottom on occassion, does it not? Since you are a Transition dealer, do you know of any ti-spring options or do you know if the Cane Creek Double Barrel will fit this bike yet?

For both of you guys (and whoever else) how is the climbing abilities on these bikes in the 5" mode? Are you guys both now on 06 models?

In regards to the other post about Transition standing behind the Preston at my weight and what not, it has not happened yet. I was simply stating that I have emailed the guys at Transition the same questions/concerns that I have posted here, but have not yet received a reply as it is the weekend.

One more thing for jimi1114 and Transition J. I have tried to access the link at HickHucksters about the Preston review for a few days now and only get an error or that the link is gone. Do either of you happen to have a copy in some form that i can read?

This bike is half the cost of the Intense and Foes, so I am seriously considering it now. Not that money is too much of a factor, but I can not really go wrong to at least try it. If I do not like it, I can sell it and then get the Intense or Foes.

Thanks again.

Bikes!
    Hi

I've never heard of or had any problems with the air shocks, I would be very tempted if I were you, I actually much prefer the way the 4 way air performs over the Romic as it felt much more progressive and less likely to bottom.

What amazed me with the Preston is how well it climbed in the 4" mode, then I gave the 5" a go, and never went back! It's just so plush, yet responsive and peddled so well there was no reason to go back to 4".

I'm afraid I don't have Brad's review, but maybe email him (Bikemech) from the ultra long thread...

Infact Brad now has an 06 model, and is a pretty big guy himself, so he'd be a good person to speak to.

Let me know if there's anything else...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

ride hard take risks
    Good going slayer2003 you ratteled the right cage & got the answers you were looking for. I think you will be very happy with the Preston although im a coil spring guy but the proof is in the riding & sounds like youve got some great support now. Have fun, ride hard

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I don't ride the Preston. Wish I did. I just know a couple of guys who tear it up on them. In fact, I ride a Yeti 575 with the 36RC2. The guys at Reeds Cycle in Eagle Idaho, where Ian is from at Spudhucksters, are building me a Transition Gran Mal. I am 6'1" 225 lbs and would have know doubt the Preston would do just fine with my build. I was checking out the ’06 Preston last week… drool.

I am waiting to ride/race the Mal and then I will determine if I want to go with the Preston over the 575, as the Yeti is a bit light and I like to ride aggressive, no where near the Spudhuckster guys but working to get better, and I am afraid I will break the frame at some point. I think the Mal will fill the big bike gap but I may still want something along the lines of the Preston or Dirtbag. I really like the Foes Fly and thought seriously between that and the Preston or Dirtbag. Just don’t know how much squish I want for an all around aggressive trail bike. I just don’t think the Fly will climb as well as the Preston plus it is big bucks. The only other bike I would consider is the Yeti ASX.

I was going to go with the DHX Air but I was concerned about being able to put enough air in to get the right sag without giving up small bump compliance. I decided on the DHX 5.0 coil. I talked with Kevin at Transition and they have been running the Gran Mal and Dirtbag with the Air and recommend it. I would contact Brad from Spudhucksters about the link to Hickhucksters as those guys I believe are buds. Also, give Ian a call at Reeds. He is awesome and I am sure happy to help you out with any questions.

The Sentinel

240 lbs. + gear here

You posted a question on my show-off thread. I'd be happy to answer your questions, but I've only had my bike for about 3 weeks, and the snow is too deep, and it's been too cold here (Utah) to get much riding in. I do have the Romic with an 800# spring, and the few curb drops and urban drops I've done ( less than 2') have all been handled with aplomb by the Romic. I spent several days e-mailing Kyle and asking him questions back and forth, and he didn't have any reservations about me riding a Preston at my weight.

I should say at the outset that I am more of an aggressive XC rider than a big drop rider, and I intentionally bought a 2005 so I could get the steeper head angle in order to build more of an all-mountain bike. I also run the Preston in the 4" mode with a Marzocchi AM-1 in the 130 mm setting. I'm sorry I'm not more help, but I'll post more info after I get some riding in on the new bike.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey,

I had a Preston for a stint in the summer and they are great bikes. I would probably still have one, but it just felt too small for me. Anyways, I weighed around 220lbs when I had the Preston and that bike is pure beef. The frame weighs around 8.77lbs(at least) with a coil shock, so there is a lot of material that went into beefing up this frame. I never seriously hucked it, but it just felt super solid and stable at speed. I was running a lightish 650lb spring and the Romic didn't feel too mushy. I had the compression about 3 clicks from full in 4" mode to kill the bobbing.

You should be just fine with 5ft drops. I don't know about climbing with the 06 though. The 05 was plenty slack enough for my tastes at around 68-69dg with a Pike. The 05 was a perfect mix of freeride and trail geometry. The 06 has become a pure freerider imo. I have heard reports of the 06 Preston being around 66dg with a 6" fork. That is dh racing slack. I would have to try the 06 to judge for myself. If you get the 06, grab a fork that can be dialed way down. The front wheel is going to wander more on the climbs if you don't.
    Last edited by ronny; 02-07-2006 at 02:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the replies again. They are all good to hear.
    I usually get down to about 210 (without gear) by Summer which should help.
    I was hoping to run a Fox Van 36, but now that may be too slack.
    Anyway, thanks again and sorry that I jacked your other thread mtnbiker62.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Dont worry about the head angle. I have an 06 preston with a 6" manitou sherman flick+ and it climbs just fine. For realy stewep sections I sometimes dial the fork down but normaly it is not a problem. It climbs great in the 5 inch setting I jsut need to gey wieght down again as currently im about 260lbwith gear and the bike is undersprung. Still holds up on drop though

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Timitoes-

At your weight, what size spring are you running and on what shock? For coil, the 06 gets a manitou or romic. (However, in case anybody cares, I have talked to Cane Creek and if I get this frame, they can make a Double Barrel in the correct size, but no ti-spring yet.)

Are you taking any drops 4ft or bigger on yours?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Im running a 600lb spring on a swinger 4way. However at my current wieght it is undersprung. The boys at transition recomended a custum tuned romic with a 800lb spring. Im just planning to get my wieght down to abut 210 which was were I was when i got the bike in the summer. then the spring will be fine. I dont go over about 4 foot at the minute as I'm still learning and gaining confidence. I have the spv volume adjust turned all the way in and I have not managed to bottom the shock yet. I run it with a 110 psi in the spv chamber and it pedals great. Now if only I was lighter

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

6ft4 and 210lbs

Quote Originally Posted by slayer2003
    Hi-

I am looking for a new bike that will be a do everything bike. I already have a loaded VP-Free with 888 and weighs about 44# or so. I plan to keep this for the riding that it is meant for, but want a 2nd bike for more everyday type stuff that I plan to build around 34#.

The area that I ride has alot of up/down x-country singletrack and fireroad ascents. Because of this, it must climb well. The trails are also mixed with log rides, skinnies, jumps and the occasional drop. The max drop for me is maybe 5ft.

I thought that I had my choices narrowed down to a an Intense 6.6 and the new Foes FXR. These bikes are both in the 6" range which is what I was thinking is the magic # for do-all including drops. I also like a more slack 67-68 head angle rather than a 69-70. I will be riding this new bike with a VAN 36 fork.

Now I am intrigued by the Transition Preston. In particular, the new 06 preston since it has a more slack head angle in both 4 and 5 inch modes, but I weigh about 210-220lbs without gear so this is where my concern comes in.

I have seen the videos for the Preston and it is indeed impressive, but these are skilled riders that weigh probably 170 lbs, so 4 or 5" rear travel is not a big deal with the drops they take. My concern is if this bike can handle a guy my size taking a 5 ft drop without bottoming. I will keep it in the 5" mode full time.

One of my other concerns is if this Preston can climb well. I am sure that it climbs better with the manitou than Romic. I am also a little concerned that I may be limited by just these two shocks, but not so much since the Foes will most likely be limited to the Curnutt. It does not appear that a FOX DHX fits or that there are any ti-springs available for any shocks that may fit this. My only other hope is the new Cane Creek Double Barrel, but I cannot find available sizes anywhere.

Anyway, for those that have any riding time on this frame, especially if you are bigger like me, please let me know your feelings. As stated above I am most curious about my size and drops and about uphill climbing.

By the way, I have emailed the guys at Transition and may talk with them in person since I live in Belllingham, but I am more interested from other people that have these.

Thanks
    Couple of weeks ago I got my 06 Preston FR. I have a 800# spring on the Romic and it seems to handle my size fine. I bought mine for agressive trail and light freeride. I have not had a chance to hit any big drops but I have it some jumps with it while in the 4" mode. I even missed the landing on a small gap jump and still did not bottom out the Romic; the bike absorbed the impact and kept on rolling. On climbs, all I have to compare it to is my hardtail so of course it does not climb as well. So far I like the geometry on the frame. It is really stable going down steep short hills.
    I recommend this bike, it seem pretty bomb proof. Hopefully if it quits raining, I can take it off some 4ft or so drops soon.

Born of Fire
    Just curious about how big of a drop this bike was designed for. I'm in the market for a new bike with at least six inches in the rear. I ride up everything I ride down. I would like to start hitting drops bigger than five feet. The Preston FR looks like a bad ass bike and would most likely handle anything I can throw at it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pufdup
    Just curious about how big of a drop this bike was designed for. I'm in the market for a new bike with at least six inches in the rear. I ride up everything I ride down. I would like to start hitting drops bigger than five feet. The Preston FR looks like a bad ass bike and would most likely handle anything I can throw at it.
    Email or call Kevin or Kyle at Transition Bikes. They both ride Preston FRs and probably can tell you the biggest drops that they recommend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    Hi

I'm 245lbs (and the UK Distributor for Transition) and I have no problem with the Romic (800lb spring) or Manitou shocks, and have ridden drops without any problems at all, although I personally preffered the Manitou Swinger 4 way air shock as I was able to set it up to my weight more effectively.

I have friends that go bigger than me of a similar size that I've witnessed dropping on a Preston too, and never seen or heard anything but good things.

The 2006 bikes have a lower leverage ratio and slightly different travel settings to the 2005 bikes, to erradicate any problems the heavier rider may have experienced on the older bikes.......
    Hi Just J,

What type of manitou shock that you used? Air or Coil? and what's the spring rate? I wrote a letter to transition and they said that they're out of romic shocks, and the manitou wont support my 260lbs weight. So i have to wait for the 2007 preston. :mad2:
    But i sent emails to one of the transiton's us dealers, and they said that manitou shocks (with 750lbs spring rate) will accomodate most rider with up to 300lbs weight.
    Can you tell me which one is correct?

thanks.

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by papih
    Hi Just J,

What type of manitou shock that you used? Air or Coil? and what's the spring rate? I wrote a letter to transition and they said that they're out of romic shocks, and the manitou wont support my 260lbs weight. So i have to wait for the 2007 preston. :mad2:
    But i sent emails to one of the transiton's us dealers, and they said that manitou shocks (with 750lbs spring rate) will accomodate most rider with up to 300lbs weight.
    Can you tell me which one is correct?

thanks.
    I used the Swinger 4-way air, which worked great, but you've got another 20lbs on me so I'm not sure how it would work for you...

From personal experience, Transition are right when they say the Preston (although coil equipped) is not ideal for anyone over 210lbs. I'd definitely run air...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite