mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Transition Preston FR rear suspension

What are the benefits of the Transition Preston FR rear suspension design over the Santa Cruz Heckler single pivot design?

MTBR Mafia
    Search dude its all over.
    But transition uses sealed bearings so they last waaay longer. and the preston i believe is some variation of a 4 bar link system that is still technically a single pivot. I am riding the heckler now and am gettting the transition dirtbag in tommorow but i have nothing against the heckler but I would reccomend the preston for transitions awesome customer service and its something different.
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well technically, suspension wise, a faux-bar is a single pivot since there's no pivot between the main pivot and rear wheel axle. But a faux-bar eliminates brake-jack, while on a single pivot, you need a floating brake. By adding links, and depending on where all the pivots of the links are placed it's easier to control the progressiveness of the shock.
    I guess the benefits would be no brake jack, but then again you have more bearings and a more complicated design than a simple single pivot, which in turn means more maintenance. So the benefits are more or less in the eye of the beholder.. Depends on what you consider is more important.
    Excuz mi inglis..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have owned both, so hopefully I can help you out a bit. First off, no design eliminates brake jack and pedal input completely. The Preston has rocker actuated suspension and is less prone to brake jack than the Heckler. In 4" mode the Preston feels just like a Horst Link bike imo. The Preston has a more active suspension design than the Heckler.

The Heckler pedals with less bob, in or out of the saddle. The Preston did not bob that much at all, but the active suspension of the Preston is more prone to bobbing. The Heckler has a high forward pivot and uses chain tension to combat bobbing to a certain extent. I found my Heckler to not bob much at all, even when the pedal platform of the shock was reduced. This design leads to some stiffening of the shock when pedaling over technical terrain and is apparent while climbing over the techy stuff.

In short, the suspension of the Heckler is not as active as the faux bar, while climbing or descending.