mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Transition Preston FR - 2006/2007

I'm looking at a Preston FR frame to build as a bike to use from the local XC trails to the ski hill. Love the looks of this bike. I like the 2007 frame, but 2006 frames are on closeout right now for a little under $700. It looks like the major differences in geometry are slightly longer chainstays and a slacker head angle on the 2006. (2007 = 67.5d, 2006 = 66.75d) The 2006 has a slacker seat tube angle, too. Coming from an XC background, I wonder how much difference the extra 3/4 degree will make on the overall ride. I still need to be able to clean steep, tech climbs, and remember, I'm used to 69d. Basically, the question is, do I pay an extra few hundred bucks to get the slightly steeper head tube/seat tube angles that I'd prefer.

The Sentinel

Much more to consider than that...

There is a major difference between the '06 and '07 that you should consider. The shock mount on the '07 has been repositioned to provide a better leverage ratio. On the 06' (and earlier) the 5" position requires a very heavy spring to prevent bottoming, and puts additional strain on the shock. The 4" position works well. The '07 has been redesigned to have a better leverage ratio in the 5" position. It also has round tubes, and looks muy macho!

Having said all that, I have an '05 that I use exactly as you wish to use yours. The '05 had a slightly steeper head angle than the '06 and is pretty well suited to an "AM" type bike. The Preston is heavy, though, with most builds coming in around 34-36 pounds, and the top tube is pretty short, compared to most XC bikes.

Long story short, I love my Preston for ski resorts and shuttled downhill/AM riding, but am looking for a better solution for XC riding. I'm going to pick up a Covert when they become available, and see how that goes.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Preston is not an XC bike, hence the FR in it's name. That being said I would personally spend the few hundred xtra bucks and go with the 07 since it will have a steeper, although not steep, head angle as well as the better leverage ratio. Next get an adjustable travel fork like the 36 Talas which will let you drop the fork to 4 inches to steepen the HA even more for the uphill pushes.

I personally have an 05' that get's left in the 4" mode since the 5 inch position can't handle big drops and jumps. I run a 36 Talas RC2 and it's nice on the uphill but at 40lbs I don't pretend it's a XC bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    that sounds about right. the more i look at the two, i think the '07 looks much better. i'm not looking for an XC bike. just saying that's what i'm used to. hopefully i can get on one and pedal it around before i make a purchase. the covert looks pretty sweet, but i'm not sure it really qualifies as something i can take to the ski hill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well the pics that transition has on their website of the covert shows it being ridden pretty hard or at least looks it. An email from transition in Dec. said they would be posting videos of the new bikes including the covert. I would say wait for the vids so you can actually see how they are riding the bike. Hope this helps.