Transition Blindside v5

Transition Preston FR ('07~)

Hi folks,

Can we start this new "Transition Preston FR ('07~)" thread here specifically for the newly-redesigned '07~ model, separately from the big-ol' classic "Transition Preston FR" thread (for ~'06 models)?

"Transition Preston FR" (Custom DH/FR/Urban Builders)
      http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78851

As a starter for this thread, below is the email info I received from Transition in July about the new '07 Preston FR...

The Preston FR will be changed slightly for 2007. By late august we'll have more complete details.
    I will say that the travel will still be 5" and the shock will be a 7.5x2. no plans on changing the seatpost size as 30.0mm is very common and makes for a stronger seattube/linkage junction than would be possible with using a 31.6mm post. also, the cable stop issue and front derailleur issues will be solved. As far as any other changes though i can't comment yet.
    Since I've also seen some '07 Preston-FR info/pic's from EuroBike here & there on this Custom Build forum and on DH/FR forum, I just tried to consolidate some info here. Based on these posts, I've cropped some snapshots of '07 Preston FR, too. (pics below)

"Transition 2007" (Downhill - Freeride)
      Transition 2007

"2007 Transition bike video" (Custom DH/FR/Urban Builders)
      2007 Transition bike video

http://www.sicklines.com/2006/09/01/...le-and-covert/
      http://si6.mtb-news.de/eurobike2006/...tion-bikes.mov

At a brief glance, it looks like (A) the shock is now mounted on the downtube (vs toptube), and (B) the cable guides are now mounted on under-side (vs on-top) along the toptube. The better leverage-ratio spec is definitely going to be nice, too. I can't wait to see some "clean" shots of '07 Preston FR in the very-near future.

Once Transition website gets updated with all the '07 stuff (hopefully soon!), we can get more detailed info there. Then, once those "lucky" people start getting their hands on brandnew '07 Preston FR, please post your info/pic's here, too.

So, who's gonna get it first?   No, I don't have one (yet) , but I'm very excited about it.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiroChu; 09-09-2006 at 09:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    New Transition site is up with all the info.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/index.cfm

Transition Blindside v5
    Still getting used to the new look...

Last edited by PiroChu; 09-20-2006 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    have you guys noticed there is no bearing in the pivot at the rear rocker arm/seat stay juncture on both the preston and dirtbag?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Yes!

Just wondering why there isn't one... anyone got some answers?
    It's actually an allen bolt.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    the redesigned Dirtbag looks sick.

redesigned slacker TT, smaller seat tube, lighter frame overall (by almost 2 pounds!), redesigned head gusset, 1,5" headtube...

i've only had my '06 Dirtbag a few months, and now this comes out! No fair!
    wonder if Transition does some kind of a trade-up thing

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You should give them a call...

I've read (In the huge transition thread) that one or two guys have traded in thier frames... I'm not sure for how much though.

Worth a shot IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpk1080
    have you guys noticed there is no bearing in the pivot at the rear rocker arm/seat stay juncture on both the preston and dirtbag?
    It's there, you just can't see it. The bearing is in the rocker, behind where the seat stay attaches. It is a clevis attachment, so the rocker is sandwiched on either side and the bearing is in the center.

The Sentinel

Oh man!!!

Kevin and Kyle are my pushers! I've got to have a new Preston and a Covert!! Anybody want to buy my 2005 small Preston??

Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe Slim
    New Transition site is up with all the info.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/index.cfm
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

preston fr

hi...you guys seem to know a lot about transition bikes....i am interested in getting the preston fr, but havent had any luck contacting transition bikes. I mostly wanted to know how it pedals, and what the weight of the entire bike is. I ride up as much as i do down, and on super steep stufff. If you could give me the rundown on the pedal-ability that would be superb....Thanks a lot whoever responds

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    hey ian989. transition is currently at interbike. since their company really only consisits of a few dudes, i'm sure they will be unable to email until the return from interbike in a few days. the frame weight of the preston fr is listed on their site. i believe people are building those up anywhere from 29-40 lbs. the bike has undergone some changes for 07 including repositioning the front shock mount to the downtube rather than the top tube. they are now using round tubing on the 07's and i'm sure there are some other small changes. i know a lot of people ride this bike and use it for all mountain/freeride. most any bike will climb well these days with a platform shock so i have no doubt this one fits into that category. people rave over this bike, espeically those that already own one. i think one mag. even voted it like bike of the year or something. anyways, i myself don't have one. i've been looking into some of transitions 07 line and like what i see. the price is really an unrivaled value. you may want to look into some of the reviews posted on mtbr.com here, i'm sure you'll like what you read. good luck.

customized
    Sep 2003
    PiroChu, are you replaceing the saber?

Transition Blindside v5
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    PiroChu, are you replaceing the saber?
    Hi Severum,
    How have you (& your Saber) been?

Hahah, thanks for asking. I was looking to replace my Saber because of this problem back in early-July, but this fix since late-September has actually been working out for me ("so far so good"), so I'm sticking to my Saber again for now...

In the meanwhile, the much-anticipated '07 Preston FR came out, and - although it was exciting to see the new changes - I decided in the end that I liked the "look" of the older/classic ~'06 models. (I wish that '07 kept the same "look", but just with the new/better shock size & leverage ratio.)

On that note, I've been drooling over the BottleRocket instead. So, if/when the fix on my Saber fails, then I think that's what I'll get next (similarly in a no-logo raw-alum color, like this one).

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 11-07-2006 at 11:08 AM.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Hi Severum, How have you (& your Saber) been?
    Hey, I have been doing well. I am actuallyin the process of specing out thier new Covert to replace my XC rig. They trully make awesome bikes.

The Saber is going strong. I am running a Vanilla RC on my 19" frame now. The build keeps getting beefier and beefier due to it's use at bike parks. Solid axle in the rear, full DH tires and tubes. Strong seat rails. I am actually thinking on going to bigger DH tires. For the money, it is just not a bike that can be beat in my eyes.

What's that smell?
    I'm pretty sure this will be my next ride:

Can anyone give some pros and/or cons to the new Preston?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I am really just waiting till January to buy one, that is one smoking bike. All I really need for my build is the wheels and frame lol. I have a virgin Z1 FR SL to put on it along with several other goodies. Man I can not wait lol.

Pros: Uses a longer stroke length so one has a greater choice in shocks

Cons: No longer have the option between choosing between 4in or 5in mode.

Other Changes: Now has a 73mm bb and I believe the head angle has been changed.

If you are a lighter guy, then I would look into the 06 prestons that are available for killer deals. Adrenaline bikes has the 06 preston w/manitou swinger 4 way for $825 and another shope online has them pretty cheap also. I am currently 260 and I would need a 1000lbs spring on the 06 preston due to the leverage ratio, which is much improved with the 07. Hope this helps.

Live fast. die younG.
    I already feel like I'm cheating on my heckler, cause I'm lusting after this bike, and thinking of how I would build it up. Maybe next year I'll be able to get one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ive got one now
    its a real nice bike, i love it

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1502926/