mtbr member
    Sep 2005

transition grand mal?

i was intrested in this bike the first time i had seen it. SO does anyone know how much the price range will be complete bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by konaman7005
    i was intrested in this bike the first time i had seen it. SO does anyone know how much the price range will be complete bike?

I am having one built and it will be about 3,500 to 3,700 when it is done.

888 RC2X
    Fox DHX 5.0 coil
    Mavic 823
    Saint hubs, brakes and cranks
    Maxis Minions
    Thompson Seat post
    Truvative Holzfeller Riserbar 31.8
    ODI lock-on
    SRAM X9
    Goodridge brake lines

Will run double ring at first with front derailleur but not a chain guide yet. I will try it fro FR/ trail for the first couple of months before the race season and then go to a single ring and guide.

I will post pictures when it is done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I am very interested in seeing your bike when it's done. I was looking at a vp free, but this bike seems pretty cool as well, plus isn't as common. I was curious as to if you could put a double ring up front, since that would be a requirement for me. It has to climb. Looks like a nice build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx
    I am very interested in seeing your bike when it's done. I was looking at a vp free, but this bike seems pretty cool as well, plus isn't as common. I was curious as to if you could put a double ring up front, since that would be a requirement for me. It has to climb. Looks like a nice build.
    I should have it done this weekend. I will post pictures. The Transition site has pictures of the white frame with 888 with white lowers, I am doing the same. Yes you can run a double ring. I too want to be able to climb. I will run the front derailleur and double for most of the day-to-day riding and go with a single for racing. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    How well does it climb? I have a Coiler right now that I like but my next bike will be a bit more of a heavy hitter. I will use it for shuttle runs but I would still like it to be versatile enough to make it around most of the good local trails that we have. Are you replacing a bike with this or are you just adding to the stable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx
    How well does it climb? I have a Coiler right now that I like but my next bike will be a bit more of a heavy hitter. I will use it for shuttle runs but I would still like it to be versatile enough to make it around most of the good local trails that we have. Are you replacing a bike with this or are you just adding to the stable?

Adding to the stable. I have a Yeti 575 for the all around trail riding and will use the Mal for the DH race and FR type of riding. I don't expect it to climb like the 575 but I am sure it will climb well enough to hit all the FR lines I want to do. I should be able to get it out this weekend if the weather holds. I will post results and pictures as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    sweet. I'm really interested in hearing about it...

Built to Last

The Gran Mal is

One very nice frame indeed. Mine will be built as soon as all the parts are dialed in. I picked up one of the blue ones, its a nice steel blue.

It will be rockin a hadley wheelset, some diabolous parts, a DHX air and a 888.
    To run a front derailleur, you will need to get a 'problem solvers' Ft Der. guide. (34.9) There are no guides welded into the frame.

Of these two forks, what would you guys try first?

1. Vanilla 36 160mm 2. Sherman 170mm????

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein
    One very nice frame indeed. Mine will be built as soon as all the parts are dialed in. I picked up one of the blue ones, its a nice steel blue.

It will be rockin a hadley wheelset, some diabolous parts, a DHX air and a 888.
    To run a front derailleur, you will need to get a 'problem solvers' Ft Der. guide. (34.9) There are no guides welded into the frame.

Of these two forks, what would you guys try first?

1. Vanilla 36 160mm 2. Sherman 170mm????

Cheers
    I ride the 36 RC2 on my 575, not the Van, and I love it. Super strong, great adjustablity and plush. I would recommend the Van.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ya i have been talking to transition about one aswell...

Definitly let us all eager people hear how it goes and post pictures!

thanks
    ride bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    when your guys get your bikes it would be ausome if you could post some pictures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by konaman7005
    when your guys get your bikes it would be ausome if you could post some pictures.
    I rode one two weeks ago when co-owner Kyle Young was here in Phoenix. I pedeled it 5 miles up the National trail then bombed back down. Very impressed with it. I ride a new Fly and a stinky delux. It was quick and nimble, climbed great for what it is. Set up with a Roco and a 888, the Roco was under sprung for me felt ok, { DHX } 888, perfect. Great bike for the one ride I took,seems like very good guys, the owners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Here she is....

Quote Originally Posted by Toro Twister
    I rode one two weeks ago when co-owner Kyle Young was here in Phoenix. I pedeled it 5 miles up the National trail then bombed back down. Very impressed with it. I ride a new Fly and a stinky delux. It was quick and nimble, climbed great for what it is. Set up with a Roco and a 888, the Roco was under sprung for me felt ok, { DHX } 888, perfect. Great bike for the one ride I took,seems like very good guys, the owners.
    My new Gran Mal... Soory about the quality of the pixs, cam is not working real well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

These arer a little better... Will try get some action photos tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    My new Gran Mal... Soory about the quality of the pixs, cam is not working real well.
    Hope to get her in the dirt soon...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    Hope to get her in the dirt soon...
    Very sweet, your going to love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

sweet

that an ausome bike right there. get it dirty soon.