mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Transition Dirt Bag first year of production when??

Hello looking at a Dirt Bag secondhand, can anyone tell me what was the first year of production? What shock and travel did it come with?? What weight was the frame, roughly? What travel forks could be used wiith it eg 130/140/150mm travel?? Differences in later models and how to tell what year the frame is??

THanks

Hard as nails
    I am not sure what the original production date for the DB model - but I do know that the 05 DB had dangerboy (Silver)rockers with adjustable rear shock travel. I also believe that the 05's were NOT 170mm as the 06 and beyond have. I have also read that the shock placement was changed to improve the (Lower) leverage ratio.

As far as forks go - I have seem 5" shermans on DB all the way up to 200mm dual crown fork. So you have plenty of options on forks. I personally would not go lower that 6' fork. But that is just my preference.

Weight on the Db is up there. Mine weighed 10.5 lbs w/shock on a LBS scale. Good luck and you will love the bike. BTW - you can get closeouts on the 06 models ($600-$700) on Transitionbikes.com.
    DM
    [SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks dirtman

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    02 or 03 was the first year I believe, the original ones were 5 or 6in adjustable travel, dangerboy plates came standard for 05 with 6 or 7in postions, they were an option in later 04. 06 they changed the shock layout to fit rear shocks with piggy back resivours. 07 is redesigned with 1.5. all years use the same size shock.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Yeah, I rock a 2004 with the standard 5"-6" plates (I run it in 5" mode...its awesome). I think the frame weight is somewhere around 6-10 pounds...

Here is a pic...since this I have added a lrp chain tensioner and a new super long seatpost: