Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The Sentinel

Is it time for a new Transition thread?

Hi all...I'm just showing off. I purchased a 2005 Preston FR frame from the guys at Transition a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to build up a burly all mountain frame that would handle my huge bulk. The weather has been too cold and snowy to ride (although the powder skiing was amazing this weekend), so I haven't got a proper ride report, but I did want to show off the newest arrow in the quiver:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I agree

cool Bike,

I just found out my bike should be here this week. I ordered a transition Preston FR frame with a Romic shock. and a FR build kit from adrenaline Bikes. I hope others will keep the thread going. I want to know about people's experience with the Preston FR. Are you going to ride it in 4" or 5" position? What type of riding do you do?

The Sentinel

I ride mostly aggressive XC...

...so I'll probably do most of my riding in the 4" position. I'm taking the bike to Bootleg Canyon in Nevada over the President's Day weekend, and I'm going to experiment with the 5" position there. For most of my everyday riding, though, it'll be in the 4" position. I'm pretty heavy, so I needed a beefy frame...that's what made me choose the Preston. I can't wait to get some real rides on it, but it's still skiing weather around here!

Quote Originally Posted by dougj
    cool Bike,

I just found out my bike should be here this week. I ordered a transition Preston FR frame with a Romic shock. and a FR build kit from adrenaline Bikes. I hope others will keep the thread going. I want to know about people's experience with the Preston FR. Are you going to ride it in 4" or 5" position? What type of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So are you running a 130mm or 150mm fork? I ordered mine with a 150mm Marzocchi Z1 . I do technical trail riding also but like to hit every jump and drop I can find. I weigh 210 so I got an 800 lb spring on mine. It should arrive tomorrow. cant't wait.

The Sentinel

I'm running a Marzocchi AM1 on mine...

...in the 150 mm position. I also have the 800 pound spring on the Romic. I need to get out and spend some time tuning it, but I can't drag myself off the slopes just yet. The skiing has been amazing here for the past couple of weeks!

So are you running a 130mm or 150mm fork? I ordered mine with a 150mm Marzocchi Z1 . I do technical trail riding also but like to hit every jump and drop I can find. I weigh 210 so I got an 800 lb spring on mine. It should arrive tomorrow. cant't wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Got my new bike

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    ...in the 150 mm position. I also have the 800 pound spring on the Romic. I need to get out and spend some time tuning it, but I can't drag myself off the slopes just yet. The skiing has been amazing here for the past couple of weeks!
    I have a Marzocchi Z1Fr3, 150mm. I finally got my bike Thursday and took it to the trails today. It was a blast. It flew down hills and tackled small jumps like it was a curb. I am very pleased. BTW. My setup is mostly freeride so that I can do drops and jumps.
    Last edited by dougj; 01-28-2006 at 12:27 PM.

The Sentinel

Looks great!

Have lots of fun!!

I have a Marzocchi Z1Fr3, 150mm. I finally got my bike Thursday and took it to the trails today. It was a blast. It flew down hills and tackled small jumps like it was a curb. I am very pleased. BTW. My setup is mostly freeride so that I can do drops and jumps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey mtnbiker62, If you don't mind me asking, what do you weigh? If you are running the 800# spring, you are probably around my size. I Ask because I am a bigger guy and am inquiring about this bike and my size in regards to drops in this thread:

Transition Preston w/ 220lb Rider and 5ft drops?

If you do any drops, can you give me your opinions on my concerns about my size and bottoming either here or the thread I posted above?

Could you and dougJ post your complete build weights and if they are med or large frames?

Also, since you guys are bigger like myself, what are your views on how this bike climbs for light XC or all day All-mtn riding?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i am currently interested in a preston fr as a trail bike. are the 2005 models still available? i noticed they slackened out the head angle for 2006. does this kill it's climbing and/or trail bike abilities? i want to run an rp3 and pike, set at full travel front and back. any reason an rp3 would be bad for this bike? i'm 5'4.5" ~120lbs and i plan to have the shock PUSHed. i'm looking at the small and medium frames. do you think the small would be too cramped for all day riding?

The Sentinel

I got my bike about 4 weeks ago...

...and at that time, they still had a few 2005 models available. I believe I got the last black small 2005 frame, but they had gold ones still available then.

As far as your choice of shock, I really couldn't answer. I'd email the Transition guys, and ask them. They are really good to answer questions. I think the issue would be finding a shock short enough to fit the frame. I asked them about that, and as I recall, it was 6.5" eye-to-eye. I'm drooling over the Marzocchi Roco, but it isn't made in a short enough length to fit the Preston. I know Transition J (UK distributor...posts on this board) has successfully retrofitted his Preston with another air shock, and maybe he could answer your questions about the RP3.

I also wanted the 2005 model as a trailbike because of the steeper head angle. I'm 5'7" tall w/ a 29" inseam, and the small fits me just fine. I'm running a 100 mm stem and 26" wide bars. I haven't actually taken it on any trails yet; the snow is still too deep in the mountains. I can give you a better idea of fit after the snow melts, but for just banging around town, it's been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by gukachu
    i am currently interested in a preston fr as a trail bike. are the 2005 models still available? i noticed they slackened out the head angle for 2006. does this kill it's climbing and/or trail bike abilities? i want to run an rp3 and pike, set at full travel front and back. any reason an rp3 would be bad for this bike? i'm 5'4.5" ~120lbs and i plan to have the shock PUSHed. i'm looking at the small and medium frames. do you think the small would be too cramped for all day riding?

Bikes!
    Hi

The RP3 is iseal for the preston and you'll have nothing but good things to say about it.

The 2006 bikes still peddle really well and you could always tighten things up by fitting a shorter forks, something like a Zocchi AM or the White Brothers Fluid like I am running.

I used to run the Pike and it is great because you can adjust the height and travel of that fork, which made a huge difference on trail riding and up hill!

Go for it, you'll love it, but if you need anymore help just ask me or email Kyle or Kevin in the US...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer2003
    Hey mtnbiker62, If you don't mind me asking, what do you weigh? If you are running the 800# spring, you are probably around my size. I Ask because I am a bigger guy and am inquiring about this bike and my size in regards to drops in this thread:

Transition Preston w/ 220lb Rider and 5ft drops?

If you do any drops, can you give me your opinions on my concerns about my size and bottoming either here or the thread I posted above?

Could you and dougJ post your complete build weights and if they are med or large frames?

Also, since you guys are bigger like myself, what are your views on how this bike climbs for light XC or all day All-mtn riding?

Thanks
    I take my bike cross country but climbing can be difficult,especially if the hills are short and steep. It does great over obstacles and large roots. I really have not been able to ride much because of the rain here. With regards to drops, I have not done any drops over 2 ft to flat yet. I did take it off some jumps. My build is more free ride, so it probably weighs over 36 lbs. I do not know the exact weight. The bike handles great going down hill. BTW my frame is the large with a Romic shock.

For more XC riding , you probably need to go with smaller tires than I have(2.3" Tioga Factory DH). Maybe 2" or less XC tires. The large downhill tires I have make it difficult to pedal all day. Also you would probably need a 130mm fork, I have a 150mm Marzocchi Z1 FR. Anyway that's my two cents worth.

Bikes!
    I find the Panaracer Cinder 2.25" suit the Preston really well, also Hutchinson Spiders for more XC work...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

The Sentinel

Complete build list with weight

Okay, slayer2003 asked about the weight of my bike, but I didn't have a final build configuration when he asked. I have fooled around with the build a little since then, and I think I'm pretty close to a final configuration. I may fool around with stem length a little more, and I'm not really crazy about the handlebars (came from my spare parts box), but here is the final tally (at least for now):

Frame: 2005 Preston FR, size small
    Fork: 2005 Marzocchi AM-1
    Shock: Romic Double Adjust Coil, 800# spring
    Headset: Cane Creek S-2
    Handlebar: Koski Stronghold
    Stem Race Face Prodigy, 5 deg., 100 mm

Brake Levers: Hayes HFX 9
    Grips: Lizard Skins Logo Lock-ons
    Brakes: Hayes HFX 9
    Rotors: Hayes V Cut, 203 mm

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
    Cables/Housing: Avid Straight Jacket

Chain: SRAM PC99
    Cassette: SRAM PC970, 11-34

Botttom Bracket: Race Face Evolve FR
    Crankset/Rings: Race Face Evolve DH Triple, 22-32-44

Hubs: Shimano Deore XT
    Rims: Mavic XM321
    Spokes: DT Stainless
    Tubes: Quality 26x 2.1-2.3, presta
    Tires: WTB Weirwolf 2.3

Seatpost: Thomson 30.0 x 410 mm
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
    Seat Clamp: Transition, 35 mm

Pedals: Shimano M545

Total Weight: 36.25 lbs.

The bike ended up being a little heavier than I had hoped, but if I were really worried about weight, I'd lose some of the 80 or so pounds of lard I'm packing around! Actually, I hope to do just that this summer! Here's a new pic of the bike in it's current configuration.

Hard as nails

Newly Built 06 Dirtbag

Only 1 ride on it so far. Took it to some rock quarries in N. florida (Ocala area) and tossed it around. So far, it has performed flawlessly. I still need to identify my sweet spot when it comes to my suspension tuning, but it will be fun getting there I have adjusted the oil level in the 66RC to get a good feel to the travel. But, man - it has so far a thrill to ride and to LOOK at!

Hard as nails

At the local trailhhead...

I will have some action shots soon.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    hey dirtman..

that is a nice ride! what's the weight on it? Have you done much climbing on it? How does this thing pedal up hill? I know it's a stretch, but could you tackle a 2500' hill on something this beefy?

i'm torn between the Preston and the Dirtbag.. i'm pretty big 6'3"/225 with gear, and i'm looking for something that'll stand up to whatever damage i choose to inflict.

cheers mate!

Hard as nails

... and if we just ... Thank you Blender....

hey dirtman..

that is a nice ride! what's the weight on it? Have you done much climbing on it? How does this thing pedal up hill? I know it's a stretch, but could you tackle a 2500' hill on something this beefy?

i'm torn between the Preston and the Dirtbag.. i'm pretty big 6'3"/225 with gear, and i'm looking for something that'll stand up to whatever damage i choose to inflict.

cheers mate!

Blender it weighs in at 40lbs even! Icertainly does not pedal like a 40lb bike (when compared to my 31lb all mtn bike) I have not tackled any long accents as you have mentioned YET! I plan to be in Tennessee in a couple of weeks with some decent hills to climb - but more importantly, some LONG DOWNHILLS to relish in!!! So I will get my first real taste of climbing the Dirtbag very soon. I will post my results.

As far as I can tell, the Preston is VERY POPULAR and can take quite a lot of punishment! As evident in the owner/rider videos on the Transition website. But I wanted the extra cush for coverage of a broader range when it comes to the REAL ROUGH STUFF. I weigh 175 lbs, and taking in consideration your weight - if you plan to do a lot of drops and death defying arial assaults, I would probably take the DIRTBAG.
    BUT!!!
    Not saying that the Preston can not handle it - Just a matter of preference and riding style. I am extremely happy with my selection!

Either way I do not think you can make a wrong choice between the 2! Happy riding!
    D

Designated Bleeder

Preston Love

So I have decided to jump over to this thread to show off the new Preston I got two weeks ago:

[IMG][/IMG]

I have put two rides and probably 35 miles on it so far and I can say without a doubt that it is one solid, tough-ass bike. Unless you are hucking 25 footers or weigh 300 lbs, it would be tough to break. It feels so solid and balanced on the trail, on drops and in the nasty rock garden decents. It definitely inspires confidence.

That said, I have no plans on taking this on drops higher than 5'. That is my current limit. My riding consists of XC, all mountain and light Freeride and I think the Preston fits me great. The Dirtbag would just be too much bike to keep up with my XC friends and not collapse.

The Preston takes downhills way better than any "all mountain" bike I have looked at. Bikes like the Giant Reign and the Trek Remedy would quiver over some of the downhills that I was just slamming on the Preston last weekend. I had it in 5" mode and never wished for more travel (though the Manitou Swinger 4 way Air did take quite a bit of tuning to get set up). If you weigh 225 lbs and want a Preston, I would definitely stick with a coil shock, probably the Romic). I weight about 185 lbs with gear and I have the Swinger Air running pretty much at its upper limit to keep from bottoming on 5' drops.

The other thing I would keep in mind is your height. At 6'3" you are going to be cramped on the large Preston. I am not sure how the Dirtbag runs but the Preston seems to run a little small. I ride a large and I am only 6' tall.

In terms of climbing, the Preston is pretty darn good with the SPV shock. It takes some cranking but I can get up most long climbs without collapsing. Its no XC bike but if you are not trying to win an uphill race, it does the job.

My Preston weighs in at approximately 34 lbs with bullitproof components and a Marzocchi All Mountain 1 fork. In my mind that is just about the right weight for a beefy all mountain/light freeride bike.

But as Dirtman said, you can't go wrong with a Transition...

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    thanks a lot for the input guys.. good food for thought..

dirtman.. please report back after your riding in Tennessee. I'd love to hear how the Dirbag does on climbing.. and i'm sure we'd all love some action shots as well..

cheers

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    alright.. i did it
    just got off the phone with Kyle at Transition

a Large Green '06 Dirtbag with DHX 5.0 Coil + Marz 66 lightETA + Revolution 36 wheelset
    are gonna be arriving in 2-3 weeks or so.

I'm super stoked, expect build pics shortly after that time period.
    Thanks to all that chimed in with the tips.

cheers.

Designated Bleeder

excellent

Hey blender, welcome to the family.

You won't be disappointed. The Dirtbag rips.

You'll have to let me know how the 66 light rides. I have been thinking about scoring one of those myself...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sweet! Seeing your size and weight I would've recommended the Dirtbag for more headroom on the suspension and fit side of things. I had the Dirtbag/Preston dilema a few months back and was really on the fence between the two but ended up going with the Preston since I am a huge 5'2 130# and figured i'd be able to wrangle a Preston around a little better, although my 39# Preston is no light weight. It's on the heavy side but it tracks straight and true through the baby heads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

goodbye sc bullit...

hello tbc preston fr!

ordered a large slate grey preston with a romic today...

this will be replacing my bullit as my new jack of all trades rig.

will post some pics in a few weeks after the beast is built

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    so, on the preston, Romic shock or Swinger coil/air??? what's the preference, i'm looking at ordering mine very soon now and need to work out some of the details...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast