Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    not really a noob

Sinister Thread (merged thread)

after riding a R-9 I fell in love post pic of your sinister!
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]

not really a noob
    mmmmmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fox-Ranger
    Apr 2005
    is that rigth that the bike is verry long? in the january MBA is a review?
    no hope in dope

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by fox-ranger
    is that rigth that the bike is verry long? in the january MBA is a review?
    it was long, but felt pretty good I think. Mba is a good mag but the point of views are from xc'ers who have ridden ever bike in the world.

≈ > ♥
    Here's mine:

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    no comment.... verry fast!!!
    aeiou

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Thread moved to the new "Custom DH/FR/Urban Builders" board.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

splinter

Here is my splinter MX on the night I was building it. Great bike, I must say the best I have ridden.
    Last edited by eobf; 12-15-2005 at 04:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    These bikes are simply beautiful. Certainly my favorite.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This is my Ridge. I hope you like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    OK, I am looking at the Splinters, Anyone here that has time on them that can give me the low down? Compared to other long travel bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surlytman
    OK, I am looking at the Splinters, Anyone here that has time on them that can give me the low down? Compared to other long travel bikes?

The splinter isn't exactly a long travel bike, coming in at 6" max. I have 2, an ER that I use for super D, and agressive trail riding

and an MXS that I use for hitting stupid gaps, dirt jumping, some slalom and 4x races, and mellower DH races where I don't want to run the R9.

My times on my training DH track are faster on the MXS setup 5+5" than they were with my old Giant DH. The leverage ratio on the bike is dialed to give you grip with less travel, and still be progressive enough for stupidly large hits. The adjustable geometry is awesome too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for your input. I have been riding singlespeed and 29ers for over 6 years so ANYTHING over 3" (my last fs bike) is like long travel to me! I am looking in the 5-6" range for an allaround trailbike that will put up with some hard riding. Everyone I ride with is getting 6" travel bikes.

mtbr member
    I finally finished building up my Sinister DNA last week. Take a peek at it here in this thread here:
    White Supremacy: My DNA is Better than Yours (not racism)
    I think I may hold claim to the pimpest DNA on the planet. Now I just gotta get my skills on par with my bike.

mtbr member

old DNA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Good job! Why I LOVE Sinister Bikes

Not only do they make some of the most awesome bikes on the planet, they offer some of the best CS in the business!

Case in point: I placed a deposit on a Splinter MX, then got word that they were no longer going to be made. I had been looking for a bike for over a year and the Splinter was BY FAR the best one I had found. I contacted Sinister and spoke with FTW in person (a big plus in itself) to tell him my situation. He did some searching around the shop and located all the parts to custom build a Splinter for me!

It is a large, but has the standover of a samller size (my request). I still need to pedal the bike around, so the seat tube reamains full length. It is the only one FTW ever did with the cross brace from the TT to the ST. Also, the shock supports differ from the production bike in that it is all tubes, not the ususal CnC work. (Saves a good deal of weight, keeps all the strength. )

The good news continues - the first 5th Element was defective. (Bad top out clunk, no rebound.) Instead of having me ship the shock back to Progressive, Frank just swapped it with another one he had in the shop. I met him halfway between my place and his shop, and ended up riding some super nice trails with him.

Never in a million years would this happen if I had bought a mega-coprporation bike.

Oh, when I was at the shop, I got to give a parking lot test to the prototype of the bike that will replace the Splinter. I have no idea how it works, but it was a major eye-opener as to what suspended bikes are capable of.

Keep an eye on Sinister, because VERY good things are coming!

SMT Supporter
    Good for you and the people who have the $$$$. For the average rider their products are still too expensive. I just bought a 8inch vpp (maestro) freeride frame with a fox dhx for 1400bucks. I will love to support smaller companys but often they just don't offer inovative suspencion desings and always the frames costs twice of one from a big manufacturer...
    Just beacause the CS and the quality of their welds im not going to spend 2500 bucks in a frame that is basically a single pivot.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Hey Tech,

What else can you tell us about the prototype Sinister? Travel? Suspension design? Weight? Price? When will it be done?

Thanks for any info.
    M.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    Good for you and the people who have the $$$$. For the average rider their products are still too expensive. I just bought a 8inch vpp (maestro) freeride frame with a fox dhx for 1400bucks. I will love to support smaller companys but often they just don't offer inovative suspencion desings and always the frames costs twice of one from a big manufacturer...
    Just beacause the CS and the quality of their welds im not going to spend 2500 bucks in a frame that is basically a single pivot.
    First off, the frame was nowhere near $2500 -actually the whole bike was in that range.

Second, I challenge you to find ANY other single pivot design that is like the Splinter - ain't gonna happen!

Third- personally, I care a lot more about performance than "innivative design". IMO, every VPP bike I have ever ridden felt like crap. Innovative or not, I would not spend $5 on one (ok, I would, but only to sell it for a profit). Furthermore, if you really want "innovative design" wait to see Sinister's offerings for this fall. All of a sudden your Maestro may look as if it has dropped its baton.

Fourth, did you call up Giant and have them custom weld the frame for you? Or did you buy a leftover? Used maybe? Did the owner of Giant talk with you in person and go for a ride with you on an otherwise inaccessible trail? If your Giant breaks, will the owner of the company stand by the product? Will he respond to your e-mails, or give you his cell # if a problem arises? Will he personally go out of his way to fix a problem if it arises? Does the owner of Giant actually know how the Maestro suspension works, or does he leave that up to his engineering staff?

Fifth - I am not made of money at all. I scraped and saved for a good long while to get EXACTLY what I wanted.

Your opinion is yours, and that is fine, but you are basically saying "nice Ferarri, but I just bought a used Accord that gets me to where I want to go." Good on ya! That is not what I wanted in a bike, and yes there is MUCH more to a bike purchace than just the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    Hey Tech,

What else can you tell us about the prototype Sinister? Travel? Suspension design? Weight? Price? When will it be done?

Thanks for any info.
    M.
    Not much really. There are going to be at least 2 models,one for trail and one FR. 5" and 7" of travel, respectively -at least as far as I know.

I can't speak to the design at all, because I just dont understand it. There is a bit of info on Bustedspoke. No idea as to weight or price. Tentative release date is in the fall.

I do know that the bike feels like no other I have ever tried. The thing excells at square edged bumps, which it basically makes disappear. Frank mentioned that it is going to be a challenge finding a fork that will keep up with what the frame can do and after a few short runs, I believe him. My impression was that when I hit a bump, I could feel the fork do its thing, and I kept waiting for the back to do the same, but it just never did. Try to imagine the fork as the leading edge of a steamroller - it hits the bump, but then the bump just gets flattened (mostly away) by the time the rear of the bike hits it. Thats how it feels. Very bizarre, very cool, and it is going to be unbelieveably fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well I got my r9 and went to Highland Mountian Bike Park for opening day. Sinister was there and helped me set up suspension b/c I didn't have a clue. To boot Skye from Sinister checked in with me all day long to make sure I was happy. Man..what terrible customer service!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Sinister Ridge?

Hey all,

Looking at the Sinister Ridge as mainly an aggressive trail frame. I want to put my 07 Talas RLC (140mm) on it though. I haven't seen any pics/heard of anyone running an QR fork on it though. Is anyone? Pics? Opinions?

mtbr member
    Jamie Ford and I both run Revelations on our '07 Ridges. They are both setup as plain old trailbikes, certainly no need for a throughaxle for that...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    Jamie Ford and I both run Revelations on our '07 Ridges. They are both setup as plain old trailbikes, certainly no need for a throughaxle for that...
    That's what I wanted to hear How's it handle? Have any pics?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice

I'll tell ya-every year I look at that Sinister ridge frame and wonder if it's time to put away the xc dualie and go with solid-all-purpose top flight hard tail. Is 07 the Year, Suspect??

I think we ride similar areas, SDevice--in fact I was at Bachelor St on Sunday (oh-I see there are even more new off-shoots and drops off of the roller coaster trail...hmmm, those trail elfs in hampshire County are at it again--nice stuff btw)--In spite of the inveterate Rockiness of the Pioneer Valley-it's very hilly and still more xc than anything 'freeride"-

Is the sinister the go to bike for 80 percent of the terrain?? Does it hold true on Climbs-handle quick enough?

Oh, and is the Revelation the fork to compliment this frame?

I guess my concerns are-1. I like climbing and I don't want to come to hate it and 2. I've never owned a hardtail--but I love the look of them-like the simplicity of design (and hey-to buy one hand made by FTW right here in New England-whoa)-I suppose I hesistate over the harshness of an alu hardtail (though I've only ridden aluminum bikes anyway so It's never bothered me before-but like I said-I'm always on dualies).

Oh-and Finally-the Northern Branch of PV NEMBA is Hosting a FUN RIDE at Wendell SF on Sunday Nov. 12th @ 12:00pm--The Local shops will be there and probably a few demo/ reps as welll--Is Sinister interested in any presence there (we'd all certainly welcome it)? Anyway-you should bring your crew up and check out the trails!

Liam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast