Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    The new Ridge frames are soo dreamy when compared to the old ones, they are no longer very freeridey and much more trail/allmountain esque. FTW has an amazing ability to make hardtails ride smoothly, and it is something he has taken into account with the new Ridges.

That is one of the ones built up for the show. The bikes are optimized for 4-6" forks now, and the frame weight is down to about 4.25 pounds
    I will try to get FTW, Jamie, Skye and Myself out for the Wendell event, I think I will ride my Mustang(the ultralight XC race hardtail) though, as I LOVE that bike too,,

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    The new Ridge frames are soo dreamy when compared to the old ones, they are no longer very freeridey and much more trail/allmountain esque. FTW has an amazing ability to make hardtails ride smoothly, and it is something he has taken into account with the new Ridges.

That is one of the ones built up for the show. The bikes are optimized for 4-6" forks now, and the frame weight is down to about 4.25 pounds
    I will try to get FTW, Jamie, Skye and Myself out for the Wendell event, I think I will ride my Mustang(the ultralight XC race hardtail) though, as I LOVE that bike too,,
    I am in the process of building up one of the 05 Ridge frames, it weighs a ton but I don't reckon it is breakable! I was thinking about waiting for the new frame but over in the UK the distributor was talking about after xmas at the earliest. We can still pick up Splinters over here as well!

Can you describe the differences between the old and new ridges, is is just the head tube / seat tube that are different or has there also been modifications to the tubing profiles etc

mtbr member
    The new Ridge is lighter, uses a 27.2 post (and hence a different seat tube), a 1.125 head tube and is designed around a shorter a-c fork than the older ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Suspect,

That would be awesome to get the whole Sinister Contigent out--several of the locals who've helped build tthe hgooods at Wendell with me are Sinister Riders (and one bought his Splinter MX directly from You I believe) so It'd be nice to see you're company out in force.

The PV-Nemba meeting is taking place at 9:00 at the Wendell headquarters prior to the event if you're coming to that as well.

Hope to see ya on the 12th,

Liam

mtbr member

Sinister Testimonials

I hear great things are coming out of the Sinister Bike camp. If you own or have ridden a Sinister could you share your ride experience? Iím interested in what you like, dislike, would/wouldn't changeÖDonít forget to mention which model and how youíve got it set up. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No personal sinister experience but you might want to surf over to bustedspoke.com/forum
    Tons of sinister riders as it is an eastcoast board, and sinister employees are regulars (verticult=FTW)
    As with any forum the spectrum of honesty to total bias exists....
    http://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=29775
    http://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=28105
    Last edited by JoshG; 10-27-2006 at 11:28 AM.

I just built mine up and went for its 2nd ride today. Climbs really well with a 160mm, descends damn quickly. Feels pretty solid in the air off of jumps, and is manueverable.
    Strangely, feels pretty compliant for an alum. hardtail. I was hitting some drops to flat and
    it wasn't too jarring.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Only thing I would wish for... anodizing and maybe a metal headtube badge. It would definitely add more bling to the ride.
    Otherwise....Brown is mad shhweeeeet.

mtbr member

Brown is mad shhweeeeet

Your bike is shhweeeeet! The metal headbadge would definately be cool. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had a Sinister DNA and it was by far the best dirt jump, street, park, pump track 26" bike I've ever ridden. It was a confidence inspiring frame that's for sure. The fact that they are made in the US is even better. If I had the money I would've never gotten rid of it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the Sinister frames.

mtbr remember
    I've got a Sinister Splinter MX in small with a Fox DHX5.0 coil. unbelievable piece of art... I'm building it up over winter, so can't give you the low down on ride just quite yet, but I can tell with my own two eyes the quality of manufacture in top notch. and that said, everyone with a Splinter I've heard from or read about absolutely loves it, they are extremely versatile and adjustable. A bit hard to find as well, since nobody wants to let go and many are looking.
    I'll be matching it up with a Fox 36VAN as well, like on unfluid one's bad mammajamma ridge above!

and like JoshG just mentioned, and I recently found out, there is a very CORE group, almost family, of Sinister riders on bustedspoke. lot's of in-depth info on them as well, and you can talk to employees, and maybe even FTW himself there, as well as get the lowdown on recent happenings and upcoming product...

keep your eyes peeled for the new VST Passion and Poison! I know I can't wait.

here's a quick pick of what I've got and also the current bike that I am swapping a few parts over from.

Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm a current owner of 2 Sinister frames and hopefully soon I'll be on a DNA as soon as they become available again. From the first day I saw FTW's (spooky junebug) work i've always been super impressed by the quality of the frames. I was fortunate enough to get a chance to get a Splinter MX at an amazing price about a year ago and since the first ride on it I have sworn by it. It has to be one of the most versitile and most fun bike that i have ever had a chance to throw a leg over. I did have a small problem with play in the linkage but FTW was very quick to respond back to me and get it worked out. Sinister as a Company is Top notch and they back their products 100% which lead me to get a R9 to race on this summer. The R9 is simply a pure breed race machine that also likes to "huck", the bike is a huge confidence builder. If you have the chance to get a Sinister frame DO IT! Here are my Sinisters http://ct.pbase.com/o5/55/648955/1/6...p.IMG_3004.JPG
    http://ct.pbase.com/o5/55/648955/1/6...X.IMG_3006.JPG
    and soon there will be a red DNA joining them.

Black Lion
    Sinister bikes are top quality all the way. Attention to detail on the frames is stellar.

I have tons of ride time on the R9, the Ridge, and now I own a DNA. The bikes rip and are very strong for thier intended purpose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    At our rather muddy rugged wendell ride today we had a small crew of sinister riders there--one on a really fine looking Mustang--I'll say this--they are the nicest looking aluminum frames I've ever seen--Lines as clean as the the best steel frames.

Liam

mtbr member
    Yup,
    DNA is pimp. I rock one out for commute, skatepark and Street, not so many DH's around here. Not a single possible complaint.

≈ > ♥
    I ride/race an R9, and have spent time on all the others as well. No complaints at all. They each do what they're supposed to, very nicely.

Am eagerly awaiting the Passion/Poison as well. Seems like a pretty cool new system, and would love to get some ride time on it.

Blasterbates
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    First off, the frame was nowhere near $2500 -actually the whole bike was in that range.

Second, I challenge you to find ANY other single pivot design that is like the Splinter - ain't gonna happen!

Third- personally, I care a lot more about performance than "innivative design". IMO, every VPP bike I have ever ridden felt like crap. Innovative or not, I would not spend $5 on one (ok, I would, but only to sell it for a profit). Furthermore, if you really want "innovative design" wait to see Sinister's offerings for this fall. All of a sudden your Maestro may look as if it has dropped its baton.

Fourth, did you call up Giant and have them custom weld the frame for you? Or did you buy a leftover? Used maybe? Did the owner of Giant talk with you in person and go for a ride with you on an otherwise inaccessible trail? If your Giant breaks, will the owner of the company stand by the product? Will he respond to your e-mails, or give you his cell # if a problem arises? Will he personally go out of his way to fix a problem if it arises? Does the owner of Giant actually know how the Maestro suspension works, or does he leave that up to his engineering staff?

Fifth - I am not made of money at all. I scraped and saved for a good long while to get EXACTLY what I wanted.

Your opinion is yours, and that is fine, but you are basically saying "nice Ferarri, but I just bought a used Accord that gets me to where I want to go." Good on ya! That is not what I wanted in a bike, and yes there is MUCH more to a bike purchace than just the bike.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
    http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif Well said my son !!!

Blasterbates

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    First off, the frame was nowhere near $2500 -actually the whole bike was in that range.

Second, I challenge you to find ANY other single pivot design that is like the Splinter - ain't gonna happen!

Third- personally, I care a lot more about performance than "innivative design". IMO, every VPP bike I have ever ridden felt like crap. Innovative or not, I would not spend $5 on one (ok, I would, but only to sell it for a profit). Furthermore, if you really want "innovative design" wait to see Sinister's offerings for this fall. All of a sudden your Maestro may look as if it has dropped its baton.

Fourth, did you call up Giant and have them custom weld the frame for you? Or did you buy a leftover? Used maybe? Did the owner of Giant talk with you in person and go for a ride with you on an otherwise inaccessible trail? If your Giant breaks, will the owner of the company stand by the product? Will he respond to your e-mails, or give you his cell # if a problem arises? Will he personally go out of his way to fix a problem if it arises? Does the owner of Giant actually know how the Maestro suspension works, or does he leave that up to his engineering staff?

Fifth - I am not made of money at all. I scraped and saved for a good long while to get EXACTLY what I wanted.

Your opinion is yours, and that is fine, but you are basically saying "nice Ferarri, but I just bought a used Accord that gets me to where I want to go." Good on ya! That is not what I wanted in a bike, and yes there is MUCH more to a bike purchace than just the bike.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
    http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif Well said my son !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Here's a shot in the dark. Ut I just picked up a preproduction sinister gruitr and I'm restoring it. I'm looking for a set of decals for it a nd I can't find them anywhere. Does sanyone have some that I could buy off you I can PayPal the money. I'd really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woody7795 View Post
    Here's a shot in the dark. Ut I just picked up a preproduction sinister gruitr and I'm restoring it. I'm looking for a set of decals for it a nd I can't find them anywhere. Does sanyone have some that I could buy off you I can PayPal the money. I'd really appreciate it.
    Still looking? Did you try to get in touch with Frank Diesel? He had a bunch of them at the Wicked Ride.

I don't have a matching set of the newer style, but I've got a couple OG ones. I might be able to hunt down a partner for the other ones though. Lemme know if you still need them.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No luck with Frank he said he wasn't involved with the production of them . If you can get some that'd be great if you can't no big deal I do appreciate the help though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No sweat - I'll make a couple calls
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

gigidy gigidy
    Jun 2004
    I picked up a Sinister R9 last year. I'd like to get it set up properly. I understand there are travel options in the linkage, anyone know how this works. Also, there is some play in the shock-Romic-does this company still exist?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2