No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Sinister Gruitr ?

Whatchaknowaboutem?

I've always been a small builder, east coast kind of guy. (Think Smorgasbord and Eastern Woods Research)
    So, to jump into a full suspension frame, my options were limited. Always liked the simplicity of the single pivot bikes despite te "downfalls" that some riders feel that they have.
    I was looking to settle on an SC Heckler to build up a burly trail brawler.

Now...I may not have to!

Came across a blip about it while reading the Frank the Welder interview on Dirt Rag's site. The new, single pivot, Guitr was mentioned and a link to a preview of it on Sinister's Blog.
    Last edited by Eastcoaster; 11-12-2007 at 07:14 AM. Reason: got frame name incorrect
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

3 "fiddy" for short
    Here you go!!
    http://www.sinisterbikes.com/sbforum...read.php?t=440
    http://www.sinisterbikes.com/sbforum...read.php?t=545
    http://www.sinisterbikes.com/sbforum...read.php?t=508

If you look somemore on the sinister boards you may find more.

I love my Sinister and wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the info.!

Seriously. It's just what I've been looking for. I was glad to see a coil being ran on it in the photos in the third thread that you posted.
    I dig it! Hoping to see some "muted" earthy colors produced in the future.
    I've just been looking to make the leap from a hardtail for a long time. Again, just hadn't found the "right-coast" frame to make me do it. (BTW, I did read that they're having them produced in Canada)
    Looking like a size Small for me!

Anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks again!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Seriously. It's just what I've been looking for. I was glad to see a coil being ran on it in the photos in the third thread that you posted.
    I dig it! Hoping to see some "muted" earthy colors produced in the future.
    I've just been looking to make the leap from a hardtail for a long time. Again, just hadn't found the "right-coast" frame to make me do it. (BTW, I did read that they're having them produced in Canada)
    Looking like a size Small for me!

Anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks again!
    You got it. No problem. If you have detailed questions post them on the Sinister board and you will get answers within an hour or so. Bruce and Skye, the owners, are on there all the time as well as "The Man" FTW (Frank the Welder).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Tell you what, I love my Gruitr...just need a few more tweaks and I should be all set (slightly longer stem). Here's a semi-finished build pic (sorry for the crappy quality):

Last week all in one session: I took it dirt jumping, an hour of XC and one quick shot down a DH track. While the fast rocky DH trail was better suited for a DH bike, it felt good in all 3 situations.

1 Gruitr build down, 1 R9 rebuild to go:
    ELEVATE CYCLES | FTW FACTORY RACING | ODI | NEMA | 661| AZONIC | SPY

local trails rider
    The Gruitr looks great and the numbers look about right for my riding too. And it does not have umpteen pivots to maintain...

What sort of a character does that rear end have? How is the lateral rigidity (a bit of a niggle with my Yeti AS-X, for example). How does it cope with pedaling out of the saddle?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    The Gruitr looks great and the numbers look about right for my riding too. And it does not have umpteen pivots to maintain...

What sort of a character does that rear end have? How is the lateral rigidity (a bit of a niggle with my Yeti AS-X, for example). How does it cope with pedaling out of the saddle?
    Let me start off by saying that I am not an expert on single pivots, but the rear triangle does have a little flex. When I checked on this and had others ride it (who are familiar with single pivots, a la the Heckler/Bullit), I was told that it seemed much more stiffer than those 2 bike I mentioned! I love the short chainstays, accelerates nicely!

I have no problems pedaling out of the saddle. I do quite a bit of it, actually, as I opted for a smaller frame to use for DS, Super D and trail riding rather than dedicated trail riding. Again, the bike accelerates nicely. Mine came with an RP23 shock which works well with the versitility of the bike. On rocky climbs, I left it wide open for good traction. On fire road climbs, I have it set at "2" on the propedal and this seems to work well.

I bought the medium frame and am about a 190 without riding gear.
    ELEVATE CYCLES | FTW FACTORY RACING | ODI | NEMA | 661| AZONIC | SPY

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mac
    Heckler/Bullit), I was told that it seemed much more stiffer than those 2 bike I mentioned! I love the short chainstays, accelerates nicely!

I have no problems pedaling out of the saddle. I do quite a bit of it, actually, as I opted for a smaller frame to use for DS, Super D and trail riding...

I bought the medium frame and am about a 190 without riding gear.
    That sounds promising!

I think a Medium shoud be good for me as a trailbike at around 176 cm / 5'10" and shortish legs. Acceleration is one thing I need on the local trails. A shortish fork would probably be best for me, to keep the bike agile for the slow and twisty stuff.

(not that I can afford another bike right now, but I'll definitely keep this one in mind)

local trails rider
    How does one get a Sinister? Direct from the source?

The closest distributor to me is in United Kingdom, but I cannot find anyone who is actually selling anything recent by Sinister.

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    How does one get a Sinister? Direct from the source?

The closest distributor to me is in United Kingdom, but I cannot find anyone who is actually selling anything recent by Sinister.

Email Bruce at the office and he'll get you squared away with a dealer. bruce@sinisterbikes.com
    unityhandbuilt