mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Preston Vs BottleRocket

I am new to serious mountain biking. I am very keen to get a Transition bike; but I am undecide between the Preston or BottleRocket.

Beside the sloping top tube, look like BottleRocket has about 0.5" rear travel then Preston. Does this 0.5" rear travel really change the functionity of the bike... from FR to FR/DH. Please help me to firm up my mind... please..

I like the Preston short travel, but I like the BottleRocket sloping top tube... just wish Transition will married the two and come out with new baby call PrestonRocket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What kind of riding and terrain will you be doing? Do you need to pedal everywhere or keep up with XC friends? What's your weight and height?

Florida Rider
    id get the bootle rocket, it looks sweet

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am (5' 6" 180lbs) into aggreesive trail & light FR.. Climing & speed is quit import to me...

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by gbull
    I am (5' 6" 180lbs) into aggreesive trail & light FR.. Climing & speed is quit import to me...
    then go for the preston the bottlerocket won't climb as well

DMR

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gbull
    Preston is the bike you want then. My Preston continues to put a smile on my face everytime I ride it. Lemme know if you have any questions.Better yet call up Transition and talk to Kyle or Kevin directly and they'll be happy just shoot the **** about the bikes and give honest answers to any questions you have.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I'd have to agree

It's not like the geometry of the bottle rocket is bad for climbing, it's just that the seat tube is so short, I'm not sure if you'd be able to get full extension of the seatpost for climbing, and general trail riding, guess it depends on your height, and the size you're getting, and how huge of a seatpost you're willing to stick in there. Calling them to discuss it would be a fine option. I have plenty of standover on my preston though, I'm 6'1/2" and I have the
    19" '06 Preston. I'm very happy with my Preston so far. I've been so happy with the 4" travel setting, I haven't even put it in the 5" yet.

Don
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Designated Bleeder

Preston

You sound like my type of rider. I bought a Preston a month ago and really like it. With a fairly burly build and a Manitou Swinger 4 way air I was able to build it up to about 34 lbs. Its a great beefy aggressive XC, FR bike. The short travel makes it really responsive and tight. If you are concerned about climbing speed, I would definitely get the Manitou Swinger SPV rather than the Romic. The Romic is better for freeride but the Swinger is much more firm on the uphills. I've run both on my Preston though and I can't argue with either. Its a great rig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Call Transition & talk w/ them.

Here is some TBC Propoganda on the BR for you anyway :

* " The BottleRocket is extremely versatile and makes a great trail bike as well".
    * "The BottleRocket was designed with short chain stays, low bottom bracket, super sloping top tube and short seat tube to make it easy to flick around, throw tricks and flow trails with tons of speed," says Kevin Menard
    * ďWe donít want to call it just a slopestyle bike because it can do so much more than that, and it is proving to be the perfect ride for many of the new progressive trails being built. The BottleRocket follows our philosophy of less is more in a burly package like our Preston FR short travel freeride trail bike. It is very hard to categorize this bike because there isnít really a category that defines it properly right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thx guy for the information... Maybe I should drop by Transition office at Ferndale one day...

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Saw the Bottlerocket today in person...looks awesome! Talked to Transition guys about and they're STOKED on it...Used to own a Preston...liked it, but travel is a little limitted as far as big hit and plushness go...not enough shock travel for 4-5 inches.

Go bottlerocket

rb

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    so, has anyone actually ridden one of these yet???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have owned a Bottlerocket for a few weeks now. Amazing bike and good climber too. I am 5'10" and ride the medium. Even with the short seattube, I can get full comfortable extension with the seatpost on climbs and slam it almost all the way down for bombing downhill. I haven't checked out the Preston but IMO the Bottlerocket is a very capable trail bike. Here's my steed below. Weight is 41.5 lbs due to chromo cranks and full DH casing tires. A lighter fork like the Fox 36 Van would also help drop some weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bullit21; 08-28-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Transition Blindside v5

New question here. 1.5"-headtube & frame-size questions

I'm waiting to see the new-'07 Preston FR vs current BottleRocket.

(A) This is a novice question, but I've never had a frame with 1.5" headtube yet. So, what are some good headsets to mount an 1-1/8" steertube fork on 1.5" headtube frame? So far I found these two "converter"(?) headset models...
      * FSA Big Fat Pig 1.5R
      * FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5R
    I'd be using my '05 Marzocchi Z1 FR1 fork.

(2) As for sizing, I'm 5'8", and usually ride "medium" or "17-inch" frames. Looking at "current" (not new-'07) Preston FR geo info, I'm supposed to aim for a "medium" frame. (That looks about right.) But, looking at current BottleRocket geo info, I'm supposed to aim for a "small" frame, not "medium"??? (Not sure...)

Thanks for your info in advance,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 09-09-2006 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    I'm waiting to see the new-'07 Preston FR vs current BottleRocket.

(A) This is a novice question, but I've never had a frame with 1.5" headtube yet. So, what are some good headsets to mount an 1-1/8" steertube fork on 1.5" headtube frame? So far I found these two "converter"(?) headset models...
      * FSA Big Fat Pig 1.5R
      * FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5R
    I'd be using my '05 Marzocchi Z1 FR1 fork.
    I have the FSA Xtreme Pro 1.5 and 1.5R on 2 different bikes. The cups for the Xtreme Pro 1.5 and 1.5R is the same so if you decide to use a 1.5 fork you just buy the bigger crown and top cap adapter. That way you don't have to remove the cups to change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    could anyone tell from the pics if the 07 preston will have 1.5???? still the number one bike on my short list...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    07 Preston - 1 1/8"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit21
    I have owned a Bottlerocket for a few weeks now. Amazing bike and good climber too. I am 5'10" and ride the medium. Even with the short seattube, I can get full comfortable extension with the seatpost on climbs and slam it almost all the way down for bombing downhill. I haven't checked out the Preston but IMO the Bottlerocket is a very capable trail bike. Here's my steed below. Weight is 41.5 lbs due to chromo cranks and full DH casing tires. A lighter fork like the Fox 36 Van would also help drop some weight.
    Is that the 07 bike or the 06? How is it for jumps?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mothergoose
    Is that the 07 bike or the 06? How is it for jumps?
    I don't believe there were any changes to between the 06 an 07 BR. The big change was on the Preston from 06 to 07 due to the single 5 inch setting and longer shock stroke. Most people who were jumping or dropping on previous year prestons preferred the 4 inch mode compared to the 5in since the leverage ratio went way up in the five. Basically it was plush for trail riding but if you came down on it hard it would blow through the travel too much. It's weird to imagine but the 4 inch dampened better on the big stuff as opposed to the five. Mine never leaves 4. The BR was designed for huge slopestyle jumps so don't have any reservations about it's flying abilities.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bottle Rocket as a trailbike? I'm 5' 9" and after close geometry studies, I'm thinking it would make a capable nip and tuck singletrack surgeon as well. All BR geometry figures are based on 540mm a-to-c measurements. My Pike (517mm a-to-c) would steepen the head angle about plus one degree from 67 to about 68. BB would be a bit lower as well (from 13,8" to maybe 13,5") but not so much I'd be hitting my pedals in every rocky descent.
    As I have longer arms and shortish legs, I could go with a size large (with 24" toptube, shorter stem), and that would settle the seatpost extension issue too (Seat tube 16,5").
    Am I way off here? How much does the BR weigh?

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Collector
    Bottle Rocket as a trailbike? I'm 5' 9" and after close geometry studies, I'm thinking it would make a capable nip and tuck singletrack surgeon as well. All BR geometry figures are based on 540mm a-to-c measurements. My Pike (517mm a-to-c) would steepen the head angle about plus one degree from 67 to about 68. BB would be a bit lower as well (from 13,8" to maybe 13,5") but not so much I'd be hitting my pedals in every rocky descent.
    As I have longer arms and shortish legs, I could go with a size large (with 24" toptube, shorter stem), and that would settle the seatpost extension issue too (Seat tube 16,5").
    Am I way off here? How much does the BR weigh?
    Large BR frame w/ dhx air is 9.5 lbs.