mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Preston v. Blitz2 v. ASX

ya, ya, ya... i know, but i haven't decided/committed to a transition yet so i want to get some thought on some options...

seen some NICELY built Yeti's for the same $$ as the Preston, Blitz2 is a few bucks more, but if it is worth it i'd certainly consider it, only gettin one chance to get the bike i need and i'm likely gonna be stuck with it for a LONG time... i think the preston is would be a great bike for my needs (as would a dirtbag), but i want to consider others as well and make sure i'm making the proper decision... Blitz 2 looks like a sweet ride (and left over 05 Blitz's can be had for 650ish) and a good friend who has an ASX tells me it comes highly reccomended and is a respectable pedaler not to mention being able to handle a pretty good hit as well...

to many good bikes out there...

thoughts guys???

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What kind of riding and terrain will you be hitting? I'm not familiar with the ASX but the Preston and Blitz are two totally different bikes in terms of what you want or expect out of them. If you want more a more plush caddy type ride and handling go with a Blitz since it offers more travel. If you want BMW type ride and handling where you can still feel the trail underneath you and rail into corners go with the Preston.

local trails rider
    I have an AS-X frame still waiting for building. I chose it at least partly because I could get my hands on it before the purchace. It is a nice frame. I have never seen the others "live". A lot depends on what exactly you want to do and what parts you use.

I know that some people use the AS-X as a trail bike and I have seen it used in a downhill race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i need a do-it-all bike... i don't mind pedaling a slightly bigger bike around when i trail ride with the family, but want it to be capable of good playtime with the boyz... i'm not gonna run DH much if ever, but freeriding it is certainly what i want it to be able to do, and at 6-1 and about 210 without gear, i'm not exactly a lightweight... right now preston is at the top of my list, but like i said, a good friend is reccomending the AS-X and i've been seeing a lot of talk about the Versus bikes (took a look at their site and was impressed) recently and the Blitz2 looks awfully impressive, deep sloping top tube faux bar rear with over 6" travel, kinda reminds me of the bottlerocket in intent though with a different execution... just wish i could ride them all before deciding...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckin
    i need a do-it-all bike... i don't mind pedaling a slightly bigger bike around when i trail ride with the family, but want it to be capable of good playtime with the boyz... i'm not gonna run DH much if ever, but freeriding it is certainly what i want it to be able to do.
    Based on what you said I think the Preston fits the bill to a T. The Preston is a versatile chameleon of a bike. I've been completely satisfied and blown away with the way my Preston hit the sweet spot in the do it all category. Mine has truly done it all DH, FR, trail, DJ. 5 inch setting and it soaks up the trail, 4 inch and it is a freeride masher.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    cmon Slim, i know ya love your preston (ya sound like a shill for transition!! :P hehe ), and as i've said, it is numero uno on the list, just that these others have piqued my interest enough to consider them... the preston is the likely winner, mostly cuz of cost, but i'm a patient buyer and want to explore ALL options before i commit, cuz if i get a preston and do not like it, i'm stuck with it for quite a while... btw - talked to kyle the other day, says they are out of Silver and Yellow til about July... they have gray in stock though, but it's not my cup of tea, though i've considered getting it and having the main triangle painted either matte black or gloss white

mtbr member
    You could compare the Blitz II to a Tansition Bottle Rocket but not a Preston. Having said that, I think I like the Biltz

Florida Rider
    ^^^^im with him, get the blitz 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckin
    cmon Slim, i know ya love your preston (ya sound like a shill for transition!! :P hehe ), and as i've said, it is numero uno on the list, just that these others have piqued my interest enough to consider them... the preston is the likely winner, mostly cuz of cost, but i'm a patient buyer and want to explore ALL options before i commit, cuz if i get a preston and do not like it, i'm stuck with it for quite a while... btw - talked to kyle the other day, says they are out of Silver and Yellow til about July... they have gray in stock though, but it's not my cup of tea, though i've considered getting it and having the main triangle painted either matte black or gloss white
    Haha, I know I can be enthusiastic about the Preston and I am by no means saying not to consider your options. I spent 6 months researching frames before I pulled the trigger. Like I was saying the Blitz and Preston are two totally different bikes and based on what you described is why I made the suggestion. Versus makes sweet bikes so either way you'll end up with a great bike. I have a friend that rides an 05' Blitz and loves it and the 06 looks even better.

I know what you mean about the slate grey, they only had that color when I ordered in Feb and luckily they had 1 black 05 left so I considered the pros and cons between the 05 and 06 and went for that. Speaking of the ASX I met a guy up on a shuttle run this weekend who used to have one and mentioned that the triangle looked like a week spot the way it's welded in there and he laughed saying that's exactly where his broke his. Granted it's probably not the right bike for him since he's now riding a V10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    all the hub-bub aside, in the end for me it comes down to dollars... i'd likely take a not quite perfect for me ride in order to save some cash so i'm also considering used as well as closeout stuff so i'm keeping my eyes on ebay and the classifieds... a nicely equipped VP-Free sounds like a used ride i'd be into if i could find one for the right price, even a Specialized Enduro, saw one guy that had a Trek Session 7 for a decent price (closeout for like 1700ish)...

but the preston is still the one i like most, and i have to admit that the bottlerocket is intriging as well, though i'm not sure it is what i need...

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    also . keep in mind that for 2007, the Transition boys are updating the Preston design to a longer stroke rear shock to allow for lower leverage ratio, and more rear suspension choices. So, if you want a Preston.. i'd hold off until the new design hits the market, 'cause you know you're gonna want one.

With that in mind, i was torn between the Preston and the Dirtbag, and in the end went with the Dirtbag, as it is more suited for a rider of my weight (220-ish) and will allow me to go bigger and harder in the long run.

can't wait to get it built up

cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    are you saying that for next year i could get a DHX rear shock to match up with the 36Van i was planning on getting??? or possible a Roco??? having that flexibility is certainly something i'd like to have... though i'm sure that there will be another price increase, of coruse... but then again, i'm in no big hurry either... if i wait til they have the yellow frame in stock (july sometime) by the time i have it built up it may be some time in August before i'm riding it anyway.... hmmmmmmmm

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    yea. it's possible that the new Preston design will allow for a DHX 5.0 in the rear, which would def. be super pimp with the 36Van up front.

The guys at transition are super flexible, and will possibly let you trade up to the new design Preston for a modest upcharge, later when it hits the market. I would definitely email them and inquire about that, as well as about the new design stroke length.

Also, if you were considering picking up a used VP-free.. why not the Dirtbag over the Preston? I just saw a used dirtbag in classifieds the other day. There are also a couple on Ebay methinks.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That's the first i've heard about a new Preston. Any idea when they'd be releasing info or the actual bike. I know this will be a welcome change by many that would like to run other shocks other than the Swinger and Romic.

redneckin - used is a great way to go to save some cash. I saw a Cove G-Spot frame, shock, chainguide, seat/and post for 750 on CL this morning. That frame would be similar to the Blitz 2 and Dirtbag.