person

Preston FR and Pedaling

How well would a Preston FR pedal with a Talas 36, DHX air, and lightish wheels, also what would a Preston like that weigh in at approx. I mean I'm not expecting it to pedal like an XC bike but I'm just curious. I was leaning more towards the covert before, but I think I'd eventually need to step it up to a bike like the Preston FR. So I was thinking why not skip the middle man eh?

-Thanks, Dave
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    How well would a Preston FR pedal with a Talas 36, DHX air, and lightish wheels, also what would a Preston like that weigh in at approx. I mean I'm not expecting it to pedal like an XC bike but I'm just curious. I was leaning more towards the covert before, but I think I'd eventually need to step it up to a bike like the Preston FR. So I was thinking why not skip the middle man eh?

-Thanks, Dave
    Not sure. Mine is on order. I'll let you know when I get it.

Seriously though, the Preston will be heavier. However, if you build them up the same or very similar what is another 1 lbs in frame weight? Geometry should also play a key in your decision. The Preston can accept a larger fork and will have a slacker HA which isn't as good for climbing, but it also has a more upright SA which is good for climbing. The Covert has a longer TT, which many believe is better for climbing. Both bikes seem like great rides and from all reports it sounds like the Covert can take some decent hits. Hopefully others with new Prestons or Coverts will chime in here.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    I think if your progressing and getting more technical in your riding then the preston is the way to go. The bike was designed around the "idea" of pedaling to the top and taking the big lines on the way down.

The appeal of a longer travel bike that can pedal is huge, but I still want to go faster and bigger so I chose the Preston.

I have a 2003 super T on the front of my 2007 preston (not my ideal setup)
    I would say it pedals pretty darn good I went for the DHX air.
    I am considering a 66 not sure which flavor yet.
    With the super T, the front end tends to want to lift a bit while going up hill, which would make travel adjust pretty sweet.

Give the guys at transition a call they will tell you alot about the bikes, they do ride their bikes alot.

banned
    My preston pedals surprisingly well! I too was lookin at the covert but said the same thing, skip the middle man. I like to do big stuff and continue to get bigger and better, so why buy two bikes (unless you can afford it, I can't) so I went with the preston and I'm extremely happy with it. I also looked at it like this...I hate pedaling up, love going down, railing corners, hittin anything I can to get off the ground and throw it around. Sure it's not an xc bike, but for as well as it does EVERYTHING else, I will sacrifice a little in the pedaling up area! It's an awesome bike. Just posted a few pics and a short ride report ( at Pinches request ) on the DH/FR forum.

person
    Thanks for the replies, I really don't think the extra weight will affect me too much, I'll just have to ride it a lot when I first get it. I'm still not sure if I want a Preston or a Coilair but leaning slightly towards a Preston because of transitions excellent CS.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch