a tight kick sound

Nicolai in the Woods!

Had an amazing weekend of riding. Got a couple really nice shuttle runs; couple runs had a bit of climbing here and there The UFO ST (short version 6X6) does pretty damn good going up for 37 lbs! My fat carcass at 200lbs could be in better shape...prolly help to go up better
    Trails were in great shape, little bit tacky with some nice corners. A few of the switch backs were a little crazy but meh
    Here are a couple shots of the fun!
    1) coming up
    2) start of some down
    3) more down
    4) nice smooth old growth turn
    5) old growth tree fall and water fall
    Attached Images Attached Images

a tight kick sound
    few more Some slow grinding climbing. A slightly longer stem would have been a welcome relief on some of these to get a bit more forward on the climb. A well fun day anyway!

Thanks to sasq from Oregon forum for the pics!

mtbr member

Where is that place?

Looks like tons of fun,where is that?CF..

a tight kick sound
    Oregon man
    That one trail in particular is 7 miles of beautiful single track dh! Absolute bliss.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Nice pics! Hadn't checked this forum in a day or two... I need to get up to Oregon for some riding...

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Epic Forest...those trees just look huge compared to the east coast. How are you liking your ST? Do you miss the horst link of your Helius?
    Tomac 98Special in Classifieds

a tight kick sound
    CAO, yeah it is weird. My family lives back east and when I went to visit them the first couple years after living in OR I felt really strange I finally realized this summer it was the trees and how far out over them to the horizon you can see. Just really diff out here
    with these big monsters They make AWESOME log rides too!

As for the UFO, I LOVE it!! But make nooooo mistake it is a totally different animal than the helius. It is almost hard to make a comparison. My helius was great for Epic trail rides on rough terrain up and down. Even on some of the stunt jumps and rippin light DH it did pretty good. Just a super smooth pedalling frame and unbelievably stiff!
    I was pushing myself more on the jumps and steeps as well as DH racing. When the helius was in a slack setup with a low BB if felt just stellar on the DH but a wee short on travel. I wanted a helius with that setup (geo) but with more travel. Unfortunately they don't really make such a thing. BAsically a big 4x bike That is exactly what the UFO st is.
    Problem with the ufo then comes with its geo. It is super great for DH and jumping...I mean the best I have ever felt! But it is the royal suckzors for climbing steeps trails. To be fair I have a really short stem on there and the medium frame which makes everything pretty tight.

In short I like both a lot! My dream was to ditch the helius for now and get the ufo. I really want to keep pushing myself on the DH and jumps. Then later maybe I can pick up a helius CC and have the best of both worlds Unfort. that takes a LOT of money

Feel free to ask any other ?s about the ufo! Super rig!!!

mtbr member

"What"

Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    Epic Forest...those trees just look huge compared to the east coast. How are you liking your ST? Do you miss the horst link of your Helius?
    I think boone cleared this up but,the ST is a Helius horst link.The Nicolai Helius line is the CC the FR and the ST.And trust me if you can't get it done on ANY one of those you have got some real problems(this coming from a guy with many problems)but my bikes are not one of them.haHa.Its sounds as if you like the ST more than the UFO Boone the Helius CC is calling you can't you hear it???.CF..

a tight kick sound
    heheheh
    Thanks CF, I think CAO is talking about the UFO "ST" not the helius "ST"
    I went from a helius fr (horst) to a UFO ST (single pivot).
    Here is a pic of the main pivot on my ufo st

mtbr member

Dope!!!! Arrrggg!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boone
    heheheh
    Thanks CF, I think CAO is talking about the UFO "ST" not the helius "ST"
    I went from a helius fr (horst) to a UFO ST (single pivot).
    Here is a pic of the main pivot on my ufo st
    My bad,I stand corrected and I lay like a fool.Sorry guys, "OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT" I done forgot allll about the whole ST at the end of the whole UFO thing.See what happens when you own a Helius CC? You just can't think right..Peace.CF..Oh wait its Err that has the Helius ST huh?

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    My bad,I stand corrected and I lay like a fool.Sorry guys, "OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT" I done forgot allll about the whole ST at the end of the whole UFO thing.See what happens when you own a Helius CC? You just can't think right..Peace.CF..Oh wait its Err that has the Helius ST huh?
    No problem man
    Yeah Err has the helius ST. You should pick that one up from him so you can have the helius CC, FR and ST. Think of the arsenal that would make

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    No problem man
    Yeah Err has the helius ST. You should pick that one up from him so you can have the helius CC, FR and ST. Think of the arsenal that would make
    You tryin' to sell my Helius-ST out from underneath me?

It's actually been torn down for a few months now, sitting the shelf in my basement. I've been riding the UFO-DS on everything. Crazy how capable a 4.5" bike can be.

a tight kick sound
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    You tryin' to sell my Helius-ST out from underneath me?

It's actually been torn down for a few months now, sitting the shelf in my basement. I've been riding the UFO-DS on everything. Crazy how capable a 4.5" bike can be.
    ooops, no way man...sorry
    Just sayin those are really cool frames!!

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sorry for the confusion folks, had forgot that Nicolai recycles the ST in both the helius and ufo. Great comparison Boone. I've been mulling over differences between the the Helius FR and UFO ST and having a hard time deciding on the next east coast fr bike. The DS is perfect for jumping and a lot of our short jump/drop runs but not so good for the climb back up - super fun none the less. I'm thinking about selling the SuperMoto and 1 of the Bruja's and trying something different. Well I have a month to decide as I was just cleared to go back to work, exercise is limited to walking for a couple more weeks.

EBB- I think I saw your green bmxtb at blacksheep, looking sweet. What are you building it up with? Cool shop...

mtbr member

Frfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrf

Sorry for the confusion folks, had forgot that Nicolai recycles the ST in both the helius and ufo. Great comparison Boone. I've been mulling over differences between the the Helius FR and UFO ST and having a hard time deciding on the next east coast fr bike. The DS is perfect for jumping and a lot of our short jump/drop runs but not so good for the climb back up - super fun none the less. I'm thinking about selling the SuperMoto and 1 of the Bruja's and trying something different. Well I have a month to decide as I was just cleared to go back to work, exercise is limited to walking for a couple more weeks.

EBB- I think I saw your green bmxtb at blacksheep, looking sweet. What are you building it up with? Cool shop...
    Cao-Let me help you with your Helius FR UFO ST problem.FRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFRFR FRFRFRFRFRFRF

Err
    Calm like a bomb

The BMXTB Build -
    SM BMXTB - Kryptonite Green
    Pike 454 Coil - Black
    King HS - Black
    Thomson X4 Stem - Black
    Gravity Lite Bars - Black
    Marta Brakes 160mm Fr & Rr- Black
    X9 Rr Shifter
    ODI Lock-ons -Black
    Thomson Post - Black
    SDG BelAir Saddle - Black
    Saint Cranks
    Gamut P20 Guide
    Atomlab Trailking Pedals - Black
    PC 990 Chain
    PG 980 11-34 Cassette
    X9 Derailure
    Green King hubs laced to Arrow FRX rims w/DT Supercomps, Green Nipples
    DMR Moto Digger tires

The frame and the last of the parts are their way to me now, should have it built up next weekend.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That's going to be 1 hot ride, are you building it for 4x then? You guys at blacksheep build some nice rigs, can't wait to see some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Err
    The BMXTB Build -
    SM BMXTB - Kryptonite Green
    Pike 454 Coil - Black
    King HS - Black
    Thomson X4 Stem - Black
    Gravity Lite Bars - Black
    Marta Brakes 160mm Fr & Rr- Black
    X9 Rr Shifter
    ODI Lock-ons -Black
    Thomson Post - Black
    SDG BelAir Saddle - Black
    Saint Cranks
    Gamut P20 Guide
    Atomlab Trailking Pedals - Black
    PC 990 Chain
    PG 980 11-34 Cassette
    X9 Derailure
    Green King hubs laced to Arrow FRX rims w/DT Supercomps, Green Nipples
    DMR Moto Digger tires

The frame and the last of the parts are their way to me now, should have it built up next weekend.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    That's going to be 1 hot ride, are you building it for 4x then? You guys at blacksheep build some nice rigs, can't wait to see some pics.
    Thanks, we try to come up with some fun stuff.

Building this one mainly for dirt jumping.