Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nickle, thanks for the info. I'm using XT cranks, so I imagine I'll have similar chainline/rubbing to your XTRs. I could switch to a single ring setup, I have a 36 tooth chainring here, but the climbs would be brutal. I might possibly try a 28T or even a 30T.

tls36: It appears the only way to get past the rubbing issue is to let it rub until the material is gone. Pretty crappy solution, but I guess it's a small price to pay. I'm really happy with this bike otherwise.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzynutz
    Nickle, thanks for the info. I'm using XT cranks, so I imagine I'll have similar chainline/rubbing to your XTRs. I could switch to a single ring setup, I have a 36 tooth chainring here, but the climbs would be brutal. I might possibly try a 28T or even a 30T.
    Something I should note about my new M952 XTR setup is that I'm using a 116mm spindle BB instead of the typical 112.5mm spindle BB. I'm doing this because the eNVy 28T chain ring is designed to be mounted in the 64mm BCD granny ring position. Even then, I had to use a single thin spacer on drive side to get the chainline correct. I'm not too excited about that, but everything seems to be holding up so far. This is already a far better setup than the Bones/chainwheel setup was.

If you were going to try something similar with a modern 2-piece, integrated spindle MTB crank, I'd do it with a crank designed for a 83mm BB shell and use a 73mm BB in conjunction with it. I'd then use spacers on the spindle between the BB cups and crank arms to achive the correct chainline. Or, bight the bullet and have a machinist resurface the chain ring mounting surface of your cranks so that the granny position is closer to the same plane as the middle ring. If you don't do one of these things and run an eNVy 26T or 28T chainring in the granny position on your stock XT's, you'll likely still rub and your chainline will likely suck.

Also, as far as I know, there is only one company (their name escapes me) making a 30T 104mm BCD chainring, but it is freaking pricey and made from Titanium. If you find a 30T 104mm BCD chainring that is at all affordable, let me know because I'd buy one in a second.

Good luck,
    Nicholas
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Pivotal figure
    Hadn't looked at this in a while but I did find a decent solution to the rubbing issue. I have some heavy duty PVC that I got from my old job (it's the outer casing for a large, direct burial phone cable) which is very durable. I cut out a small section and attached it to the rub area with liquid nails (I also beveled the edges so the chain doesn't grab). I've had it on for several weeks now and it's working great. I have plenty of this stuff if anyone wants a piece. The thickness is only 2.5mm BTW.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Your retarded
    Do you have any pics of this setup, Ken? I'd be interested in seeing the size and positioning on this little piece of PVC.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Pivotal figure
    Here are a few shots of the guard. Sorry about the link, I don't have my new editing software yet (had to get a Mac version). The silver stuff is actually metallic tape I put on initially, works OK but wears off too quickly.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/kenbentit/CanfieldRub#

Your retarded
    kenbentit, that looks like a pretty good concept. Might have to try that if I ever start rubbing again. Thanks for posting those pics.

Pivotal figure
    Here's the pic. Got my new software today You can see that it's basically a skid plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Fuzzy, I had scraping on the lower link on the chain side with a 36T - the 34 Ken gave me is great as climbing is easier too. Wonder how the chain line would be with the new Hammerschmidt?? Anyone try this? Will post up some pics of the Balance w my new 55 ATA soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2