Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    53

    Need Frame builder for Custom DJ bike

    Hey,

    My name is Rob and I am very interested in custom building a new DJ bike. I work in the industry and I have a lot of solid ideas on what I want. If there is anybody out there that can help me please reply.


    Thanks

  2. #2
    pvd
    pvd is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,807
    What's so special that a cheap production bike won't work? DJ bikes are pretty simple beasts.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,135

    +1

    Unless you're 400 pounds or something, go get a cheap DJ frame and ride the crap out of it. They're pretty much all good.

    Seriously, custom is great in a lot of situations, but given that people on ratty 30 pound 20-inchers that cost <$500 are out there killing it every day, I have to say there's no point in a custom DJ bike. If there's any discipline in which the talent of the rider trumps the quality of the bike, it's dirtjumping.

    -Walt

    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    What's so special that a cheap production bike won't work? DJ bikes are pretty simple beasts.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    What's so special that a cheap production bike won't work? DJ bikes are pretty simple beasts.
    Cause I want to do a custom bike. I spoke with Carter Holland (owner of black market bikes) about making a custom bike through S&M. He was very interested in my ideas but I wanted to do some one off custom bikes. I need somebody that can make some really nice steel bikes.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    53
    Well it will be more of a 4x bike. The bikes out on the market do not offer what i am looking for. If you cant help me then don't reply.

  6. #6
    Framebuilder
    Reputation: Live Wire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerterror
    Well it will be more of a 4x bike. The bikes out on the market do not offer what i am looking for. If you cant help me then don't reply.
    You received logical responses based on the info you provided.
    If you can't handle a reasoned response from an established pro.....then don't ask the question.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,135

    Ok...

    Um, pretty much any fillet/tig framebuilder can build a steel DJ frame. Or 4x, or whatever. Email some framebuilders and see if they're interested. Not hard. What is it in particular that you're looking for?

    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it's hard for anyone here to help even point you in the right direction without some more specific information about what you need. And if you need a 4x bike, why ask for a dirtjumper? Be specific and do some legwork on your own, and you'll find that people here are very helpful. If you just throw generic questions out there, you're less likely to get useful responses.

    -Walt

    Quote Originally Posted by turnerterror
    Well it will be more of a 4x bike. The bikes out on the market do not offer what i am looking for. If you cant help me then don't reply.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    53
    sorry I was not being specific. I pretty much need someone who can build a steel 4x bike for me. The bike that i love to ride does not make a horizontal dropout on their frame any more so building up a geared bike is difficult. I want the frame runs similar angles but has a press fit BB and longer TT. There are a few other personal touches I want to do on the bike but that is pretty much the start.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerterror
    Well it will be more of a 4x bike. The bikes out on the market do not offer what i am looking for. If you cant help me then don't reply.
    Hi Turnerterror. I get a few inquiries a year like this. What I don't think people generally understand is that doing prototype work, especially work that needs to be optimized for production is time consuming.

    I do not want to suppose what you are thinking but most of the time these people realize that yes, it should cost more than a off the shelf bike but usually they think it will be maybe a couple of hundred more, but guys like me have to do all the actual design work and one off fabrication and don't have the economy of scale that for instance S & M would have making literally thousands of one model.

    So, I think the short of it is, there are many of us who could help you. This list is not biased to the professional builder (although they are here for sure) and I can only speak for myself but I think I have a decent understanding of what the others will want too and it is many thousands of dollars. For a completely ready to roll production oriented frame with all design drawings, CAD models and tested I would be in the five figure range.

    I wrote a blog about it.

    http://bohemianbicyclesfaq.wordpress...1/hello-world/

    Dave Bohm
    Bohemian Bicycles

    P.S. I didn't really understand if you just wanted one or wanted to go into production? Lots of people can make just one, if it uses standard stuff.

  10. #10
    pvd
    pvd is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,807
    Buy a welding machine and some files. Custom.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    239
    Try here.. http://www.simplebicycleco.com/ I think they still do custom.

    or here... http://www.ridesuperco.com/2008/

    What do you have in mind, maybe I can better direct you?

    Are you thinking toe overlap for bar spins? Light weight? Super short stays? Mounting pegs for grinds? Disk, v, 990 or no brakes? 110 or 135 hub?

    Be specific and maybe we can direct you better.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,216
    Contact Brad at Nemesis Project - he can probably help you.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    What's so special that a cheap production bike won't work? DJ bikes are pretty simple beasts.
    Same reason you make your own chain guides, you don't "need" to but you want some thing specific.

    Nobody "needs" a custom bike, but some people just want something specific.

    Heck thats why I build my own bikes, it doen't make me ride any better but it is nice to ride something thats exactly how I want it

  14. #14
    pvd
    pvd is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,807
    Based on the OP, he want's someone to do his prototyping for him. He probably wants to pay about $500 for 60 hours of work and about that much in materials. Also, DJ bikes are soo darn simple it makes little sence for anyone to do make one custom unless they enjoy the process of building. Paying someone else to to though this process makes no sence. Not for a DJ bike.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: D.F.L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,770
    Check your PMs.

    Here's somebody to consider:

    http://www.gregmelms.com/home.html (don't let the furniture scare you. Go to 'Portfolio' and check bikes 1 and 2.

    And try Brew. He's one of the few builders that does custom and was a contract BMX builder. He ought to have the equipment needed. http://www.brewracingframes.com/
    Last edited by D.F.L.; 05-15-2009 at 02:54 PM.

  16. #16
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,881
    turnerterror - dave makes a great point. Read it, love it, understand it. There are tons of pro builders who can undoubtedly make you what you want, are you willing to pay for it? I was on the retail side of the industry for 15 years before I started building and I can honestly say that I had absolutely no idea how much work went into a custom frame. I think that's par for the course. At least once a week, an old industry buddy crawls from the ether and asks for a hookup. Every time they get the same answer...an economics lesson and "yes, but you have to pay full price"

    pvd - some people have the $$ and will pay for custom because it's what they want, even when it's completely impractical. I get your point, and I too tend to steer people away from buying something that I see as impractical but if they insist, I'll happily build (and charge for) it.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  17. #17
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    turnerterror, get in touch with Dobermann bikes in Canada. I've had two custom steel frames built by them - one hardtail trail bike and one DJ frame since I'm too tall for traditional DJ frame sizes. In both cases, the finished product was excellent. With the trail bike, I sent them an DWG of what I wanted and two months later I had a frame that matched my drawing almost exactly.



    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    53
    Thanks guys!

  19. #19
    Bike Dork
    Reputation: themanmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    I'd give Jon at Thursday a shout. He's a true small custom builder and does the kind of stuff it seems you want.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil4bc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,127
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Contact Brad at Nemesis Project - he can probably help you.
    Thanks MMcG !!!

    Man after reading this thread the first few responses reminded me why I started building custom bikes in the first place.

    Not trying to offend any of you more established builders but what makes you guys think DJ bikes are so simple ? Possibly because you dont ride DJ or street ?

    If I were to buy any custom bike I would look into what the builder rides and their first hand exsperince in this area of cycling . Sure anyone can weld some tunes together , how about building a bike that exceeeds the expectation's of your customer or even the most experienced pro rider ?
    Why should a dJ bike recive any less hands on time tha say the nicest custom TIG road or MTB frames ?
    What about material used ?
    Possibly the customer wants soemthing a bit nicer than straight guage steel or seemed butted tube set's from taiwan already coated with rust on the inside from the container shipment over
    What of say the customer wanted custom angles and has enough exsperince that they know the way they want there end bike to ride and feel when pushed to it's limit's
    You would think going to a builder who has ridden a bike to these limits and understands the customer's needs would be a good idea as well?
    If It were me going to a respected frame builder for a "custom " DJ bike I'd better hope he's ready to build something better than just a copy of the off the shelf cookie cutter bikes now coming out of Taiwan . Custom bikes are just that "custom " built to the end riders needs from the best materials possible ( you hope ) for the intended application .

    I guess if there wasent a market like this I would have a lot more free time and less orders ..right ? PM sent
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Check your PMs.

    Here's somebody to consider:

    http://www.gregmelms.com/home.html (don't let the furniture scare you. Go to 'Portfolio' and check bikes 1 and 2.

    And try Brew. He's one of the few builders that does custom and was a contract BMX builder. He ought to have the equipment needed. http://www.brewracingframes.com/

    That melms looks exactly like the Tonic Fab Fall Guy, are they affiliated?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    Thanks MMcG !!!

    Man after reading this thread the first few responses reminded me why I started building custom bikes in the first place.

    Not trying to offend any of you more established builders but what makes you guys think DJ bikes are so simple ? Possibly because you dont ride DJ or street ?

    If I were to buy any custom bike I would look into what the builder rides and their first hand exsperince in this area of cycling . Sure anyone can weld some tunes together , how about building a bike that exceeeds the expectation's of your customer or even the most experienced pro rider ?
    Why should a dJ bike recive any less hands on time tha say the nicest custom TIG road or MTB frames ?
    What about material used ?
    Possibly the customer wants soemthing a bit nicer than straight guage steel or seemed butted tube set's from taiwan already coated with rust on the inside from the container shipment over
    What of say the customer wanted custom angles and has enough exsperince that they know the way they want there end bike to ride and feel when pushed to it's limit's
    You would think going to a builder who has ridden a bike to these limits and understands the customer's needs would be a good idea as well?
    If It were me going to a respected frame builder for a "custom " DJ bike I'd better hope he's ready to build something better than just a copy of the off the shelf cookie cutter bikes now coming out of Taiwan . Custom bikes are just that "custom " built to the end riders needs from the best materials possible ( you hope ) for the intended application .

    I guess if there wasent a market like this I would have a lot more free time and less orders ..right ? PM sent

    Thanks for posting, I didn't have the energy.

  23. #23
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,135

    Well said.

    Guilty as charged. I was at one point moderately competent (ie, 10'-ish semi-lippy doubles, no tricks, lots of stained underwear) at DJ. But I will not make any claims about being an expert about DJ bike geometry. For the true jumping/4x folks, I'm sure subtle changes in geometry matter a lot - just like they do to me for XC or DH riding.

    So, my apologies. An excellent riposte, Evil4bc. My criticism of this project was unfounded and I hope the thread has been otherwise helpful.

    -Walt

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    Thanks MMcG !!!

    Man after reading this thread the first few responses reminded me why I started building custom bikes in the first place.

    Not trying to offend any of you more established builders but what makes you guys think DJ bikes are so simple ? Possibly because you dont ride DJ or street ?

    If I were to buy any custom bike I would look into what the builder rides and their first hand exsperince in this area of cycling . Sure anyone can weld some tunes together , how about building a bike that exceeeds the expectation's of your customer or even the most experienced pro rider ?
    Why should a dJ bike recive any less hands on time tha say the nicest custom TIG road or MTB frames ?
    What about material used ?
    Possibly the customer wants soemthing a bit nicer than straight guage steel or seemed butted tube set's from taiwan already coated with rust on the inside from the container shipment over
    What of say the customer wanted custom angles and has enough exsperince that they know the way they want there end bike to ride and feel when pushed to it's limit's
    You would think going to a builder who has ridden a bike to these limits and understands the customer's needs would be a good idea as well?
    If It were me going to a respected frame builder for a "custom " DJ bike I'd better hope he's ready to build something better than just a copy of the off the shelf cookie cutter bikes now coming out of Taiwan . Custom bikes are just that "custom " built to the end riders needs from the best materials possible ( you hope ) for the intended application .

    I guess if there wasent a market like this I would have a lot more free time and less orders ..right ? PM sent
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

  24. #24
    pvd
    pvd is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    but what makes you guys think DJ bikes are so simple?...
    I guess that I come across overly simple on the subject. Yes. All bicycles are specific and have very important considerations. Yes. In the custom market, most bikes revolve around fit and specific needs that are not met with what is on the market. In my mind, DJ bikes have a lot less to do with rider fit and have more to do with the bike matching the terrain. I figure that they mostly do that and that the current crop of bikes on the market do this amazingly well. It's not like someone is going to be pedaling a DJ while seated for hours on end. Small details are rarely well worked out by non builders. I'd hate to have someone asking me for some stupid detail that makes no sense and costs tons of time and effort. I guess that that is why I don't build for money.

    I'm not a DJ expert. I'm a trail rider and a super D guy. DH dabler.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    Guilty as charged. I was at one point moderately competent (ie, 10'-ish semi-lippy doubles, no tricks, lots of stained underwear) at DJ. But I will not make any claims about being an expert about DJ bike geometry. For the true jumping/4x folks, I'm sure subtle changes in geometry matter a lot - just like they do to me for XC or DH riding.

    So, my apologies. An excellent riposte, Evil4bc. My criticism of this project was unfounded and I hope the thread has been otherwise helpful.

    -Walt
    One of the main complaints people have is poor placement of cable stops. I rode a bike in the early spring that handled good but had a cable stop that tore my pants and shoes every time I was on the bike, it was clear that a rider did not design the bike.

    Other thing is toe overlap for x ups and bar spins.

    If you are going to use a double peg setup you need the bb at least 1" over the axles or you end up grinding the crank arm instead of the pegs.

    If someone is into spins you have to build with much heavier stays than some one that is riding just slalom or bmx.

    Since its more about riding with style and creativity people are usually willing to sacrifice one thing for another, like having a bike that is scetchy in turns but able to double peg grind.

    And Walt, seriously, get back on the trails! Nothing is more fun or makes you feel more alive than a day at the trails with friends

    Take 5 minutes and enjoy some trail riding PA style.... http://www.vimeo.com/3272833

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •