Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    pvd
    mtbr member
    If it's just cable stops that are the problem and you have a steel frame, you can just burn off the original braze ons and put new ones on wherever you like. Rattlecan the scar or cheap powder for $125. It's a $20 solution ($200 invenstemnt if you don't have tortchs) and opens a lot of doors to you. That's what I was doing before framebuilding.

mtbr member

DJ = fun. Building and Jumping

I have a few locals getting fired up to go on a DJ frame project. There are cheaper and more basic options but they really want frames from ME, They want to feel like they are part of the project and have a little more control over the tubing and various accouterments selected, They want to watch the frames come to life. From my point of view as a framebuilder, I dig the input and I enjoy having people in my shop while work is getting done. I am glad to add a little stoke to the riders general enthusiasm. .While it is important to be knowledgeable in any category of frame and generally well practiced in fabrication, I make it a point to learn something from every one of my customers. It is foolish to overestimate ourselves and underestimate our clients. I try to avoid assumptions and blanket statements and live in the gray area between what I know and what I am about to learn.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vulture
    I have a few locals getting fired up to go on a DJ frame project. There are cheaper and more basic options but they really want frames from ME, They want to feel like they are part of the project and have a little more control over the tubing and various accouterments selected, They want to watch the frames come to life. From my point of view as a framebuilder, I dig the input and I enjoy having people in my shop while work is getting done. I am glad to add a little stoke to the riders general enthusiasm. .While it is important to be knowledgeable in any category of frame and generally well practiced in fabrication, I make it a point to learn something from every one of my customers. It is foolish to overestimate ourselves and underestimate our clients. I try to avoid assumptions and blanket statements and live in the gray area between what I know and what I am about to learn.

Nice! some one who gets the fun of the whole thing. I would like to see what you guys come up with if you do build some trail bikes.

I am a track and trail guy so my stuff is built to be on the light side (5.5 lbs) and a little more to the stable side. When my friend Collin picks up my bike I have to tell him "no tail whips and no 720's" the rear end isn't built strong enough to handle all that.

meow, meow.
    This thread is what came up first when I googled for "custom dj frame builder".

I'm in search of whoever can build a 26" steel DJ/street hartdail frame with specific requirements that I don't find in Taiwanese frames. Already contacted 2 builders but they don't seem to want to build it.

Here's what I want:

1. Chainstay length: 385 mm. This is to allow 28-14 gear without a half-link. Other important numbers, basically a copy of Nukeproof Solum geometry.

2. BB shell: 73 mm BSA threaded.

3. Chainring clearance: up to 32T at 50 mm chainline (to allow for gear 32-16 in 391 mm position).

4. Tire clearance: 58 mm wide, 58 mm high.

5. Mud clearance: don't need any. The only provision is that there would be no (clean) tire rub when frame flexes under loads.

6. Headtube: ZS44 both ends, 110 mm tall.

7. Dropouts: the new Paragon trigger-type, X12 singlespeed ones. (Hub will be the next generation True Precision Poacher).

8. Seatpost: 27.2 mm. Standard (non-integrated) clamp 31.8 mm. Forward facing slot if possible.

9. Finish: ideally don't want any, will be okay with rat look as long as rust doesn't harm the frame structurally. Would like the builder to suggest a tubeset that rusts the least. Failing that, I'll be happy with RAL 7021 (dark grey) color.

10. Weight. Anything within 2.5-2.6 kg will do it. Long-term durability is critical; weight, not so much. I'd even agree to go for some thick walled tubes to improve impact resistance, if the builder would advise that.

(I would simply go for Nukeproof Solum if it had a BSA BB shell.)

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Call some builders. Lots of folks can do that stuff.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Issue really is the OP willing to pay 3 times what a Nukeproof Solum costs to have a one-off? My experience has been they want custom but want a mass produced price as well.
    All the best,

Dave Bohm
    Bohemian Bicycles
    http://www.bohemianbicycles.com
    &
    http://www.framebuildingschool.com

mtbr member
    Sure many builders can do stuff like this .
    For custom stuff it's best to go to a builder who produces frames similar to this frequently.

Prices aren't that crazy for custom DJ stuff right now , with the domestic Bmx and trick bike market picking up recently it's getting easier to produce affordable steel DJ and trick specific frames .
    PM sent

meow, meow.
    Thank you Evil4bc, I emailed you.

dbohemian,
    I do understand that any given set of functionality is cheaper mass produced than manufactured one-off. Those are the 2 extremes, and many custom frame builders actually operate somewhere in between (that is, they build small series of similar frames which cuts on the cost of R&D). That's why it makes total sense to go for the builder experienced in creating the particular kind of frames.

(I just checked out the bikes at bohemianbicycles.com. They are individual works of art, and I'd of course expect any art to be one-off. But I'm merely looking for a humble work of engineering, something that is not intentionally unique, just a hard-to-find combination of standard parts and techniques.)
    Last edited by J. Random Psycho; 04-24-2013 at 10:33 AM.

mtbr member
    I wonder after 4 years if the OP ever dropped the coin on something custom. My gut tells me that answer is only two letters long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr View Post
    I wonder after 4 years if the OP ever dropped the coin on something custom. My gut tells me that answer is only two letters long.
    Another zombie comes back to life! Interesting thoughts here, nice perspectives.

Brian

Stokeless Asshat
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    J Random, have a look at Curtis Bikes. Made in the UK, ship worldwide. They are not 100% custom, but they have a wide range of frames, aimed specifically at Street/Dirt, and are customisable to an extent (toptube length, choice of BB, Rear hub spacing, brake positions, grind plates etc).

Nemophilist
    Well;

There's obviously FBM Bikes. A recognized Worldwide leader in the jump/trick scene. Instant cred on one of their sleds. They are small enough that I would imagine they could do what you want done. Proudly made right here in Johnson City, NY!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post
    In my mind, DJ bikes have a lot less to do with rider fit and have more to do with the bike matching the terrain.....

...I'm not a DJ expert.
    why post then?
    look at what people are doing on dirt jumps. you think rider fit doesn't matter when you are throwing a bike around in the air? you have to be completely comfortable with the bike.

"Also, DJ bikes are soo darn simple it makes little sence for anyone to do make one custom unless they enjoy the process of building. Paying someone else to to though this process makes no sence. Not for a DJ bike. "

yeah, there is definitely no place for dialled geometry, nice tubing, unique touches and craftsmanship in such lowly things as dirt jump bikes. you tell em pvd.
    Last edited by sonic reducer; 04-25-2013 at 10:33 PM.

meow, meow.
    Does anyone know if all is well with Brad Hodges (username Evil4bc on MTBR, see in this thread above) of Nemesis Project? He's not been answering emails since I made the main part of payment for the frame he's been making for me, and it's like this about 6 or 7 weeks already.

Edit: I have just received response from Brad. He said he had to redo seatstays, and that the frame is now queued for powdercoating in my chosen color RAL 7021, which had to be ordered by the paint shop.

Looking forward to disprove the bad rumors and have on my hands a steel testament to Brad's mastery over tubesets. )

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Does anyone know if all is well with Brad Hodges (username Evil4bc on MTBR, see in this thread above) of Nemesis Project? He's not been answering emails since I made the main part of payment for the frame he's been making for me, and it's like this about 6 or 7 weeks already.
    25 pages pointing to NOT WELL

mtbr member
    Marc Pfister AKA Dr. Welby
    Thanks for digging up a 4 year old BS thread started by a sour puss who order and received his handlebars . Which makes me out to sound like the new Matt Chester which I am NOT !

Let's get back to the topic of this thread that was a custom dirt jump frame that no other builder would take on , attempt or said was possible to build for the OP JesterPsycho

I contacted Dmitri and offered my services and through emails exchanged and sevral BikeCad revisions we came to a end design that met his requested geo #'s , was possible to build and came out to be a functioning frame in the end that he could ride and enjoy for many years to come .

I ordered the materials and requested pieces from Paragon MAchine works like the rocker drops and 44mm HT. TrueTemper supertherm tubes are used for the DT , CS and TT the toptube is a custom tapered supertherm tube I have made to resist denting in the center sections , I also had custom seat stays bent to meet the desired look that Dmitri requested .

In the end the frame pictured is what the OP wanted and developed with me through his direct input . Thanks

Need Frame builder for Custom DJ bike-52077_10201631775493691_1294609980_o.jpgNeed Frame builder for Custom DJ bike-1399667_10201631769573543_907595818_o.jpg
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Most Delicious
    Hey Brad,

Not sure why you're using my real name, you must have a good memory from the old days riding at Calabazas Park.

I'm glad you're turning around jobs, but considering that there's threads and threads of people pissed at you don't you think a timely email response to people who have given you money is a smart strategy to minimize the complaints?

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    All the drama aside. Sweet looking frame.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Matt Boeckman, the man behind Stout Bikes, is awesome to work with, specializes in these type of frames, and the cost is great as well. Check out stoutbikes.blogspot.com.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    It's hard to mention custom DJ frames without bringing up O-Dog. Oscar has been making 26" DJ frames for decades! His brand is Simple Bicycle Company and its out of Portland, Oregon. He has a line of production DJ's, which mine are, but he does all kinds of designs.

Here is my first one, back in 2005:

My second and current, 2011:

and some randoms:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2